All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Empty
PostSubject: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeFebruary 29th 2012, 7:31 pm

I am going to build an off road utility vehicle using parts from my old truck with a locked up motor. I got the idea here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lDnSH-_Afg and followed a link from there to this site http://www.longwood.edu/staff/riderkb/tractor/index.htm That site proved to be some what helpfull so I downloaded the PDF plans for the tractor this guy built and I have changing, altering, and modifying them for a few weeks one reason being I am not building a tractor and the other mine is going to be four wheel drive I am also going to use an 18 horse power briggs and stratton twin instead of a 9hp briggs and stratton. Here are some videos of my progress and ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJ1s8N1tGs&feature=plcp&context=C3ecba1aUDOEgsToPDskLdvuBYto6HWqk6xwWe3FDc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WbqlsdKI3E&feature=plcp&context=C39fc152UDOEgsToPDskL0zbr9r0AlMuHJTrYBubBT

Thanks For Looking
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeFebruary 29th 2012, 7:52 pm

I've looked into building one of those pow'r pups man times, it's an interesting design. 4wd wouldn't be hard, just get a standard transmission from a 4wd with the t-case attached. I have a few Chevy front axles and have thought about shortening them, using short inner shafts on both sides. With a short steering axle you could run 4wd and 4-wheel steer, 4-wheel disc brakes too. At least that's my plan, someday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeFebruary 29th 2012, 10:06 pm

Yea ive got 2 old nissan 4x4 trucks I bought them for 1 dollar a piece and Im using one that has a locked up motor to build this thing. Right now Im just going to pull out the differentials, transmission, transfer case, steering system, and drive-shafts then weld up a frame to hold it all together. I like your idea of the four wheel drive four wheel steer but I prefer the four wheel drive front wheel steer
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2012, 2:35 pm

Well, your UTV will probably be higher speed than the tractor as well. I was thinking the 4-wheel steer for a slower tractor, maybe even hydraulic steering, independent front/rear. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with. I have a free subaru coming my way that I'm going to build into a woods vehicle of some kind.
Back to top Go down
McHandyMan

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2012, 9:05 pm

This is a iffy idea, make a frame and make a mount to put the trans axel in the middle. Make sure it locked! Now build motor mounts and make sure the pullies line up. Where each of the wheels go on the trans axel make somthing to run drive shafts off them, thus the need to lock them. Now just get the axels figured out and make mounts for the body you will be all set. I have been thinking about doing it myself but I don't got the time. Or space. There's people out there with awesome ideas but no way to put them out there and I think I just had one haha, hope you can understand. Only grade 9 English.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: @McHandyMan   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2012, 10:12 pm

McHandyMan wrote:
This is a iffy idea, make a frame and make a mount to put the trans axel in the middle. Make sure it locked! Now build motor mounts and make sure the pullies line up. Where each of the wheels go on the trans axel make somthing to run drive shafts off them, thus the need to lock them. Now just get the axels figured out and make mounts for the body you will be all set. I have been thinking about doing it myself but I don't got the time. Or space. There's people out there with awesome ideas but no way to put them out there and I think I just had one haha, hope you can understand. Only grade 9 English.

I don't quit see what you are thinking or trying to get at but I am not going to lock the diffs because I need to have as tight of a turning radius as possible for the applications I am going to put it to. plus the trails I will be riding on are going to be narrow and tight on some corners plus my transmission/ drive-train setup is coming out of a 84' Nissan King Cab 4x4 it is the brownish orange colored one in the video below. These trucks are great off road and I am going to gear it low so I shouldn't have any problems.

And whatever "only grade nine english" means could you please explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u069sLqjCQU&feature=plcp&context=C3c25888UDOEgsToPDskLNuzh-W_8R8ag3Utg1jUCT
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2012, 10:24 pm

Under his name it shows his age, 15, therefore he's in the 9th grade.

I think he's describing using a vertical shaft motor with a lawn tractor transaxle as a transfer case. It's been discussed before, but dylansrockinrigs already has truck parts to use, which will be stronger and cheaper.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2012, 10:44 pm

I don't think a lawnmower tranny could handle what I am doing without making funny noises while towing and still being able to travel at high speeds and have four wheel drive. Only grade Seven english and in Algebra 1
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2012, 9:56 pm

I changed my plan so I don't have to get a welder or some angle Iron.
I'm just going to pull the locked up motor out of my truck pull the rusty bed off and mabey pull off the cab but I'm thinking about keeping It on so I can hook up a heater in the winter then I'm going to hook up the clutch brakes 18 horse briggs twin pulleys and I'm thinking about sticking a little alternator In the to take some drain off the battery
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2012, 4:42 pm

dylansrockinrigs wrote:
I changed my plan so I don't have to get a welder or some angle Iron.
I'm just going to pull the locked up motor out of my truck pull the rusty bed off and mabey pull off the cab but I'm thinking about keeping It on so I can hook up a heater in the winter then I'm going to hook up the clutch brakes 18 horse briggs twin pulleys and I'm thinking about sticking a little alternator In the to take some drain off the battery

Google "Truggy".
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle   Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade 4x4 Utility Vehicle
Page 1 of 1