All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
What Welder is the best for mower modding? Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerWhat Welder is the best for mower modding? Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Share
 

 What Welder is the best for mower modding?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dylansrockinrigs
Skilled
Skilled
dylansrockinrigs

Age : 20
Join date : 2012-02-28
Posts : 305
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 pm

I was just wondering what welder would be the best to use lawn tractor modifications or what welders you guys use. What ever i get has to run on regular house hold current because the only 220v outlet is for washing machine and dryer. Ive been looking at the ones from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool and was wondering which one would be the best for a beginner welder?
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

Age : 23
Join date : 2011-12-06
Posts : 499
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Winchester, ON, Canada

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:33 pm

I've always had troubles with Chinese welders, I bought three of them and they are all junk(in my opinion), for the same price I bought a brand new Chinese MIG welder I got myself a used Hobart Handler 135(the newer model is the Hobart Handler 140). I've never had any problems with it, I skip the gas less flux core wire and stick with solid wire and C25 gas(a welding gas). For the extra $70 for me it saves alot of cleanup and makes a nicer looking weld. If you are on the cheap side Id get a half decent stick welder but its hard to find one for 115V plugs, you could even use 3-4 car batteries and wire them up to weld but Id be careful and you don't have many options for Amps. Where I work(A machine shop) the only welder on a 115V plug is a Miller 140 with Auto-set, I like it. I know people who have good luck with Chinese welders, T-man Gokarts on youtube uses a harbor freight one and I don't think hes had a problem yet, I guess there hit and miss.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Tractor Man Jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Tractor Man Jeff

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-06-26
Posts : 492
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Back in the sticks of VA

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 am

I know it isn't standard wall power, but I have the Bullet proof Lincoln AC/DC tombstone stick welder that plugs into a 230v outlet. You can't kill these welders. It is a great welder and it works great on my tractor. It has plenty of power to do all sorts of things. I'd look into the Lincoln MIG140 welder. I is a little small, but that's about the most you'll ever get out of standard wall power. Another option would be to go gas powered. $$$$$$
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

Age : 23
Join date : 2011-12-06
Posts : 499
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Winchester, ON, Canada

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Also another idea thats cheap is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GailpXI6_20&feature=plcp, I wanted to put an alternator on my tractor so I could put the transaxle into neutral, hook up the leads and be able to weld on the trails.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Tractor Man Jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Tractor Man Jeff

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-06-26
Posts : 492
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Back in the sticks of VA

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 pm

Hey that would be awesome. Something breaks, no sweat. That would be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

Age : 23
Join date : 2011-12-06
Posts : 499
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Winchester, ON, Canada

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 pm

@Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
Hey that would be awesome. Something breaks, no sweat. That would be the way to go.
I was also thinking of possibly riggin up a small trailer with ATV tires and putting on a small generator, air compressor, small tool box, gas tank, and some scrap metal and it would be the mobile welding/repair tractor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Tractor Man Jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Tractor Man Jeff

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-06-26
Posts : 492
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Back in the sticks of VA

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Even better! All in one machine. Idea Alright, who wants to try this idea?? Laughing Another idea would be is to have a trailer with a small generator sized welder, air compressor that can run off the welder's generator, tools,and scrap metal.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Expert
Expert
richie thomas

Age : 24
Join date : 2011-08-04
Posts : 1434
Forum Rep : 1
Location : east dublin georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

arild built something kinda like that
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
dangeroustoys56

Age : 48
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 1726
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida, USA

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a Hobart MIG welder - has the 'gas kit' ( not hooked up) - works real well for my welding.

Way I look at it is as an investment - spend lil money lots of times, or save up and get a decent welder once. Oh, make sure you buy a few different width rolls of wire PLUS extra proper tips - youll need em.


I bot a generator from Aldi's ( of all places a grocery store) a few years back - its 3500 watts, and a 6HP motor - not expecting much, i filled it with oil and gas, 2nd pull it fired right up - was like under $200 on sale.

For an air compressor, unless a bead comes off, all's yd need is a small electric one - one came in a 'slime' repair kit - good for inflating , but not bead popping - could bring a portable air tank along for that.

Taking a welder and generator out trail riding, youd also want some sort of shrouds on it, to keep the mud out getting back there.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

Age : 23
Join date : 2011-12-06
Posts : 499
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Winchester, ON, Canada

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 pm

wildpanthercutlery wrote:
arild built something kinda like that
isn't his just a welder trailer for a truck? I didn't think he made the trailer for it. I could be wrong thought because I didn't really watch his older videos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
W1ldyOvvnZ
Skilled
Skilled
W1ldyOvvnZ

Age : 23
Join date : 2011-12-06
Posts : 499
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Winchester, ON, Canada

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 pm

@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I have a Hobart MIG welder - has the 'gas kit' ( not hooked up) - works real well for my welding.

Way I look at it is as an investment - spend lil money lots of times, or save up and get a decent welder once. Oh, make sure you buy a few different width rolls of wire PLUS extra proper tips - youll need em.


I bot a generator from Aldi's ( of all places a grocery store) a few years back - its 3500 watts, and a 6HP motor - not expecting much, i filled it with oil and gas, 2nd pull it fired right up - was like under $200 on sale.

For an air compressor, unless a bead comes off, all's yd need is a small electric one - one came in a 'slime' repair kit - good for inflating , but not bead popping - could bring a portable air tank along for that.

Taking a welder and generator out trail riding, youd also want some sort of shrouds on it, to keep the mud out getting back there.

I was thinking if you used a trailer you could make the generator/air compressor enclosed in a box(like a truck tool box but custom made for the trailer) up front. And for the air compressor I was thinking of a train horn kit air compressor(Im pretty sure you can buy them and the tank) and put that on or use the 12V air compressors your talking about and have a small air tank incase the tire come off the beads. I was also thinking of putting ramps under the frame of the trailer that slide out and a winch on it so you can tow a friend home if you have major problems. The only thing is how long would you really want the trailer to be? You would probably only want it the length of another tractor max and towing your friend home you would leave the front tires off the back of the trailer. We are sort of getting a little off topic though:P

Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Tractor Man Jeff
Moderator
Moderator
Tractor Man Jeff

Age : 24
Join date : 2012-06-26
Posts : 492
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Back in the sticks of VA

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah man. I love train horns. I do have one myself. Cool
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Expert
Expert
richie thomas

Age : 24
Join date : 2011-08-04
Posts : 1434
Forum Rep : 1
Location : east dublin georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:28 pm

na what im thinkin bout is a trailor he rigged with a generator and a welder lol
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

Age : 42
Join date : 2012-07-03
Posts : 236
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Welding machines are investments...   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 6:27 am

I speak only from my personal experiences, as I took welding in a tech center during my sophmore,junior year of highschool. Halfway through Junior year I started work release at a factory that made Street sweepers. This company had all Hobart equipment. The Tech center had mostly lincoln welders. Well, after about 4 months at the one place I switched over to a government contract that made Military trucks..LMTVs if you know what that is. Gov site had big money, and all the equipment was Miller welders. they also supplied us with electronic weld lense inserts (but you had to own your helmet).

So, I have used all three routinely. When it came time to make my purchase for a welder, I didnt go cheap. I bought what I think is the best for long term. I bought a Millermatic 140. Now, I believe Hobart and Lincoln both have an "equal" unit. Lincoln welders are substantially cheaper than Miller, and I belive Hobart "IS" the cost efficient brand owned by the Miller Corp.

So what is the best welder for modding a Mower.....
Personally, Its going to be what you can afford. but, understand this> If you think you can afford to buy it twice, then save and buy the best once~ me

If you can afford it, go Miller....

And as an experienced welder, I have been teaching my friend how to weld, and the Millermatic makes it so easy for beginners...

thats my thoughts..
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled
Murray modder

Join date : 2012-11-23
Posts : 356
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Somewher in Va

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 pm

@dylansrockinrigs wrote:
I was just wondering what welder would be the best to use lawn tractor modifications or what welders you guys use. What ever i get has to run on regular house hold current because the only 220v outlet is for washing machine and dryer. Ive been looking at the ones from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool and was wondering which one would be the best for a beginner welder?
I use a northern Tool welder, Its only good for small stuff, (hoods, brackerts, bolts (sometimes...) but you have to CLEAN all the stuff off...I used to work in a machine shop...Had some welder that was white and orange...never cared about the name on it..never had to.. but THAT was a good welder.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

Age : 42
Join date : 2012-07-03
Posts : 236
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Orange and white   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 am

Welding machines typically do the color code similar to brands of tools and how motorcycle companies do. A orange and white could be a Hobart machine. Which Hobart is a sub company of Miller or technically Illinois Tool works corp. Lincoln welders are red and Lincoln has a sub company too, but it's mostly custom rigs for special purposes. I would like to have a workshop full of machines! I need to get a lathe one day.

_______________________________________________
Please Nominate My Site By Clicking this link!
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
Skilled
Skilled
dylansrockinrigs

Age : 20
Join date : 2012-02-28
Posts : 305
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm

I like the alternator idea i might hook an ac motor up to an old truck alternator and some jumper cables for welding but i think my mom might get me one for christmas (i hope) I need something that can weld mowers bicycles turned motor cycles, go karts, and my truck frame... Im gonna shorten it a little bit and put a new motor in it
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

Age : 42
Join date : 2012-07-03
Posts : 236
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: yikes   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 pm

@dylansrockinrigs wrote:
I like the alternator idea i might hook an ac motor up to an old truck alternator and some jumper cables for welding but i think my mom might get me one for christmas (i hope) I need something that can weld mowers bicycles turned motor cycles, go karts, and my truck frame... Im gonna shorten it a little bit and put a new motor in it
Dont do that...Jumper cable welding? only if you are Mcgyver and need to escape from a third world country prison..

By a welder..the Lincolns at Lowes are decent enough and fairly priced..

_______________________________________________
Please Nominate My Site By Clicking this link!
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 52
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:31 am

@Junkstarbuilds wrote:
@dylansrockinrigs wrote:
I like the alternator idea i might hook an ac motor up to an old truck alternator and some jumper cables for welding but i think my mom might get me one for christmas (i hope) I need something that can weld mowers bicycles turned motor cycles, go karts, and my truck frame... Im gonna shorten it a little bit and put a new motor in it
Dont do that...Jumper cable welding? only if you are Mcgyver and need to escape from a third world country prison..

By a welder..the Lincolns at Lowes are decent enough and fairly priced..

Actually I've seen alternator setups that can rival any commercial unit. Its all in the hand holding the rod.

When I was a kid, barely 16. I worked at a heavy truck scrap yard. The shop welder was a small Cummins dieslel engine with a half dozen semi alternators running off a multibelt system.
To control amperage, he would clutch certain alternators in and out. He was building some big stuffm and it worked famously for the price of the scrap.

Welding from a truck battery is an old off road trick. Booster cables and a coathanger with some bread wrapped around it can get you home.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

Age : 42
Join date : 2012-07-03
Posts : 236
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 am

@Chopperhed wrote:
@Junkstarbuilds wrote:
@dylansrockinrigs wrote:
I like the alternator idea i might hook an ac motor up to an old truck alternator and some jumper cables for welding but i think my mom might get me one for christmas (i hope) I need something that can weld mowers bicycles turned motor cycles, go karts, and my truck frame... Im gonna shorten it a little bit and put a new motor in it
Dont do that...Jumper cable welding? only if you are Mcgyver and need to escape from a third world country prison..

By a welder..the Lincolns at Lowes are decent enough and fairly priced..

Actually I've seen alternator setups that can rival any commercial unit. Its all in the hand holding the rod.

When I was a kid, barely 16. I worked at a heavy truck scrap yard. The shop welder was a small Cummins dieslel engine with a half dozen semi alternators running off a multibelt system.
To control amperage, he would clutch certain alternators in and out. He was building some big stuffm and it worked famously for the price of the scrap.

Welding from a truck battery is an old off road trick. Booster cables and a coathanger with some bread wrapped around it can get you home.

Im saying I dont reccomend it for welding unless its an emergency or something like that..I know you can weld with a coat hanger, but I wouldnt want too

_______________________________________________
Please Nominate My Site By Clicking this link!
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
Skilled
Skilled
dylansrockinrigs

Age : 20
Join date : 2012-02-28
Posts : 305
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:43 am

I didnt know you could weld with a coat hanger... I might try that alternators and coat hangers...
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 52
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 am

Actually, I've used wire coat hangers for years when welding with oxy/ace. torch, but it will work for an emegency as a stick.

A bank of deep cycle batteries will give you very nice welds, with good rod. its straight DC voltage with no harmonics or noise. The arc you get will be stone clean.

A single deep cuycle battery can give up to 1000 amps for a brief time. A bank of 10 wired in parallel would give you 120v ac @ 1000 amps. Enought to burn through a ships hull in a few seconds or weld with a piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel

A certain amount of other electrical equipment would be required to make it work, but its no big deal.

Its been done already.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dylansrockinrigs
Skilled
Skilled
dylansrockinrigs

Age : 20
Join date : 2012-02-28
Posts : 305
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Silk Hope N.C.

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 am

@Chopperhed wrote:
Actually, I've used wire coat hangers for years when welding with oxy/ace. torch, but it will work for an emegency as a stick.

A bank of deep cycle batteries will give you very nice welds, with good rod. its straight DC voltage with no harmonics or noise. The arc you get will be stone clean.

A single deep cuycle battery can give up to 1000 amps for a brief time. A bank of 10 wired in parallel would give you 120v ac @ 1000 amps. Enought to burn through a ships hull in a few seconds or weld with a piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel

A certain amount of other electrical equipment would be required to make it work, but its no big deal.

Its been done already.



Wouldnt that kinda amperage knock you on your ass and probably mess with your cardio vascular system or nervous system.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

Age : 42
Join date : 2012-07-03
Posts : 236
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Fort Stewart Georgia

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: welding with a torch is different   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 1:19 am

@Chopperhed wrote:
Actually, I've used wire coat hangers for years when welding with oxy/ace. torch, but it will work for an emegency as a stick.

A bank of deep cycle batteries will give you very nice welds, with good rod. its straight DC voltage with no harmonics or noise. The arc you get will be stone clean.

A single deep cuycle battery can give up to 1000 amps for a brief time. A bank of 10 wired in parallel would give you 120v ac @ 1000 amps. Enought to burn through a ships hull in a few seconds or weld with a piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel

A certain amount of other electrical equipment would be required to make it work, but its no big deal.

Its been done already.

Welding with a torch is easy, just a dip in a flux and away you go.....but,
I just dont want "kids" playing with "alternate welding methods" at least I dont want them telling mom and pop I told then too! (know what I mean)

_______________________________________________
Please Nominate My Site By Clicking this link!
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Moderator
Moderator
Chopperhed

Age : 52
Join date : 2012-10-14
Posts : 801
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Eh!

What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 am

@Junkstarbuilds wrote:


Welding with a torch is easy, just a dip in a flux and away you go.....but,
I just dont want "kids" playing with "alternate welding methods" at least I dont want them telling mom and pop I told then too! (know what I mean)

That would be brazing, not welding.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content




What Welder is the best for mower modding? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Welder is the best for mower modding?   What Welder is the best for mower modding? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
What Welder is the best for mower modding?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Tracked Lawn mower
» my lawn mower
» Can you make an amphibious mower?
» Racing mower steering issues.
» Lock front end on lifted mower?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic Project Builds-
Jump to: