All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Baja Mini Bike Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Baja Mini Bike Build Empty
PostSubject: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2012, 10:53 pm

I have currently been forgetting about buying steel from my boss about my Lawn Tractor and thats because I have been focused on my Baja Mini Bike, Its one of the things you get a Canadian Tire/TSC(I got mine used for cheap because the motor mounts were cracked). The one I have is a 2006 Model. When you buy them Stock they come with a 196cc 6.5hp Honda Clone with a Jack Shaft setup and you end up going 25.5km/h topped out, I think that was way to slow so I checked out how fast it would go if I made the governor not engage, that ended up being 45.7km/h and I liked that speed a little more but I didn't want to wreck the engine so I bought a Comet TAV2 30 Series Torque convertor and installed it and got it upto 54.4km/h with the governor working. That still isn't fast enough so I bought a 2degree flywheel key, High Flow air Filter, Air filter adapter, proper jet, and a Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plug, but I didn't remove the governor because I was worried about the flywheel exploding or the rod blowing up, so I only got to 54.4km/h faster instead of going faster overall. So recently I dumped another $500 into it and got some stuff:D.

Baja Mini Bike Build IMG_1820
This is everything I got, a Billet Aluminum Flywheel, OEM Honda Flat top Piston with Rings, Wrist pin, and wrist pin clips, arc Billet connecting rod, Dyno Cams CL1 camshaft, Push rods, and my OEM Honda Head Fully ported with oversized valves(27mm intake and 25mm exhaust). I also bought Jets #88, #90, #92, and #95 so I don't have problems with jetting.

Baja Mini Bike Build IMG_1821
This is the Camshaft, its just a CL1 Camshaft.

Baja Mini Bike Build IMG_1822
This is ARC's Billet Connecting rod, I only ordered the Stock Length because I didn't know if the Valves would hit the top of the piston if I went .010 over, but looking at the amount the Stock Dished piston I don't think I would of had any problems going with .010 over rod.

Tonight I tore apart the Motor and took out the Governor and filled in the holes that the arms I removed had left(two holes in the Block which is normal, you just thread the holes and thread a set screw in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2012, 7:11 am

Thats good youre thinking about saftey - the billet flywheel is expensive, but worth it to keep the motor from exploding.

Next step is to get a horizontal twin and shoe horn it in the chassis if it still inst fast enough - Laughing
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeJuly 29th 2012, 9:05 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Thats good youre thinking about saftey - the billet flywheel is expensive, but worth it to keep the motor from exploding.

Next step is to get a horizontal twin and shoe horn it in the chassis if it still inst fast enough - Laughing

If I have to get a different motor i'll be putting in a CR250 or CR500 motor in it, but the billet flywheel was $100, I got the cheapest billet aluminum flywheel, the way I thought of it was that I needed it if I removed the govenor and It will ad a little more HP. I had to buy a special socket for the Billet connecting rod because ARC makes there own bolts I guess and wanted a custom bolt head. While I was buying the socket I got more parts like Billet lifters, re-enforced rocker arms, etc. Once I get them I will post it.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 7:46 pm

Youll be able to wind it out more with those speed parts - stock stuff just wont handle it . Guy i used to work with modded a 8HP wheelhorse for pulling - he dumped well over $5000 into the motor alone - but he said that thing had some serious pulling power.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 10:43 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Youll be able to wind it out more with those speed parts - stock stuff just wont handle it . Guy i used to work with modded a 8HP wheelhorse for pulling - he dumped well over $5000 into the motor alone - but he said that thing had some serious pulling power.

Yeah, Thats what I thought, I don't really want to put out a tonne of power all the time with the engine because I want it to last me long enough, I am planning on trying to sell it later, I am hoping to make $300-$800. I have $1233.98 into it right know but if I were to buy everything(excluding bike) from a local store It would cost me $2000 then $800 for the bike.

I got all the parts in today that I mentioned about last time I posted(Ill post pictures later) but I ended up converting in/lb to ft/lb wrong and snapped a bolt(I got it out.). Instead of converting it as .0833333333 I typed in .833333333 so I torqued it to 50lbs instead of 5lbs. I bought another set of bolts incase the other one is damaged)
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 22nd 2012, 11:41 pm

I had got all of my parts in a while ago then I tried rebuilding the bike but I didn't have a 1/4" torque wrench in inch lbs so I used a 3/8" torque wrench in ft lbs and didn't convert in/lbs to ft/lbs right and snapped a connecting rod bolt but I got it out of the connecting rod and ordered new bolts and $27 later for two bolts I was ready to put stuff back together.

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo51
This is how it looked for a while when I was waiting for parts.

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo5-1
I didn't take a picture of the new bolts but I did take a picture of the lifters....

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo1-1
I also took a picture of the gasket set, etc.

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo3-1

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo41
Inside the crankcase.

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo31-1
Installing the piston, My Father kept telling me we had a piston ring compressor. I guess he lost it so I used the hose clap off of the air filter adapter and installed it that way(Now I have my own piston ring compressor)

Baja Mini Bike Build Photo4-1
Without Much effort it is in.

Then I Noticed that my iPod(what I used for a camera) was dead so I charged it and finished the rest... and had went out with a friend and he bought my iPod so I couldn't even take pictures installing the engine into the bike until I found my other Camera and charged it.

Baja Mini Bike Build PICT0088
This is it right now.

Baja Mini Bike Build PICT0089

I have never made it past 1/3 throttle yet because I don't want to wreck the engine(only 1/2hr on the engine) and there is a small oil leak so I want to find that out first. I keep getting oil leaking around the head(I can see it dripping off of the valve cover). I tried tightening the valve cover a little more but that didn't work, anyone know any common oil leak problems with the 6.5hp Honda Clone? or the GX200? I am going to look around the Head and see if there might be a crack in the Block, if so im buying a Honda GX200 Block(it would also increase the value of the bike too since it would then be considered a Honda).
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 9:46 pm

If you used the old valve cover gasket - that could be the cause of the leak - after so many tightening/loosening - itll squish the gasket - could use some oil resistant form a gasket .
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 9:49 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
If you used the old valve cover gasket - that could be the cause of the leak - after so many tightening/loosening - itll squish the gasket - could use some oil resistant form a gasket .
I used a brand new valve cover gasket, what do you mean by the "oil resistant form a gasket"? like this stuff?

Baja Mini Bike Build Silicone_Gasket_Maker
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 10:51 pm

ya that kind of stuff my valve cover leaked put some of that on there and it quit leaking i would go with the one that has the most heat resistant
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2012, 10:54 pm

greener179 wrote:
ya that kind of stuff my valve cover leaked put some of that on there and it quit leaking i would go with the one that has the most heat resistant
Thats what I was thinking, Ill see if my high heat one is oil resistant. I have the Black stuff and the Red stuff made by Permatex.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baja Mini Bike Build   Baja Mini Bike Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baja Mini Bike Build
Page 1 of 1