All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
brownjon4
brownjon4

briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Empty
PostSubject: briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?   briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2012, 11:41 am

i have a briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder were is the governor at. i am use to the plastic flaps for a governor any help would be nice
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?   briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 7:37 pm

Your twin uses a mechanical governor located inside the block.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?   briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 9:19 pm

Yeah - on opposed twins the governer link is located under the carb . Unless the motor is prepped to run w/o one , i wouldnt remove it. Beside over revving the motor, the flywheel/motor can explode.

Twins have more then enough power even using the governer - i propelled my 18HP opposed twin murray up to 40mph using the governer ( I probably wouldve gone faster if it handled better - was a serious handful to drive at high speeds) - trick was to use a hand or foot pedal that snapped back as soon as the gas was let off - gave crisper throttle response, more power.

Another way for more power is to adapt a motorcycle carb or snowmobile carb along with a KN high flow air filter.

My murray was a shift on the go type trans , meaning no clutching while upshifting, and faster shifts - i ran a 6" motor pulley and 4" trans pulley along with 4 8" rims , tapered bering front hubs - slightly larger wheels will give some more speed, but itll get some lag when taking off.

I mentioned the steering was horrible for a basically stock tractor , along with pretty much non functional brakes - a combo not good for 30plus MPH..... its reincarnation will be built for those speeds .

A future build is a super mod, using an 18HP twin, either a RAGB ( right angle gear box) or 700 peerless , straight axle , lowered to the hilt .
Back to top Go down
brownjon4
brownjon4

PostSubject: hello    briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2012, 4:15 pm

how do you hook up a gas pedal i seen it done on you tube with a bike brake what all do you need to do to get that to work right .
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?   briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2012, 6:19 pm

Heres one set up on my twin 18HP briggs -
briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Thrott11

Heres one on my mod MTD with a single 14.5HP OHV briggs :

briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? File0018

Heres how i set up my foot pedal on the MTD:

briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? File0019

I used plain bike shifter/brake cables and cable clamps - each end of the cable needs a spring to snap back correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?   briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

briggs and stratton 15hp twin cylinder governor Help?
Page 1 of 1