All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ironart

starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Empty
PostSubject: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 4:00 pm

.. My MTD.. 14-42..has a Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine. The starter spur gear which engages the flywheel is badly chewed. Before I start tearing down..I am asking the proper method of removing the gear. Will appreciate your imput.. Steelbanger
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 6:15 pm

For starters, I don't know exactly if you're starter is the same as mine, but i think they are all about the same anyways haha.
1. Disconnect hot cable from the battery

2. Disconnect the red (hot) wire from the starter

3. Unscrew the two small screws from the plastic cover over the starter gear

4. Unbolt the two large bolts holding the starter on (The starter should just lift off from here)

5. If you're starter is like mine, it probably has a flat area where the big bolt holes are at where you can clamp it down. Get two C-clamps and clamp it down to you're workbench. (This is optional, but made it much easier for me)

6. If you have a pin punch, this will be much easier, and i suggest using one so you don't break or bend the pin holding the gear on. (They're pretty cheap at any decent hardware store) Line the punch up with the pin and tap it gently. You may have to hit it harder or use Open & Shut to loosen it. This may take a little work but it shouldn't be too hard. Just be prepared to find it after it flies out. lol!

7. Take the metal guard and the gear off and slip the new one on.

8. After putting everything back on, Insert the roll pin in the hole and tap it back in. It should be centered in between the two sides.

9. Reconnect everything back in the opposite order you took it off and you should be done!

starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems A_510

Here's a pic to show what i meant.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 9:32 pm

The other style I have seen on the B&S engine is very similar, except the roll pin is covered by a spring loaded plastic cap. Same process though, tap out the pin and take it apart.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 11:36 pm

More than likely you have the rollpin style, but if you have an older one it may have a ring around the top of the shaft. Pretty easy and straightforward to remove, just pry it off. I usually replace mine with a couple snap rings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
ironart

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2012, 9:00 am

Thanks guys;
You gave me the info I needed..I have the roll pin style . I got the gear yesterday and will be installing it today. It looks like the next item to work on will be the variable pulley in this MTD 14/42 by Lowes. It works but not as it should..doesn't seem to work good in lower gears.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2012, 4:08 pm

A good tip is to clean the old roll pin and put some never seize on it before reinstalling it - sometimes theyre a b*tch to get out - specially if run in water alot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems   starter -  Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs 14 hp vert shaft IC engine Starter drive gear problems
Page 1 of 1