All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 am

So I am currently replacing the rearend in my craftsman when I thought about putting a grease fitting on it. I was wondering where I should put it and I thought I heard about someone doing it before but I cant find anything on it..
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

I've put them a couple of places. Spindle bearing on top, to grease spindle, had a couple lock up before. Rear axle between the outer bearings and differential, both sides, to grease the bearings and help keep the water out. We also use gear oil instead of grease. It can be tricky to seal the case, I use blue RTV, clean everything well, add o-rings to the brake shaft, and have made plugs where the ends of the shafts can be seen from the outside. Some transmissions are easier than others, I've gone to using peerless trannys only.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 pm

My foote rearend was nice. Peerless is the way to go. Spicers just dont cut it..
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm

I added zerks to a couple stock MTD transaxles - damn things whine horribly. I pretty much put a couple near the axle ends and near the main drive gear ( no access or anywhere near the input shaft to put one) - its helped, every so often i sock some grease in.

Has to be better then a lousy handful of 10 year old bennonite grease.
Back to top Go down
moremorelawnmowers
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 pm

My MTD probably deserves an award for the loudest transaxle in the world. lol! Ive had it apart twice and replaced the grease and water profed it but no matter what i do it still screams. Eventually it will break apart but those forward/neutral/reverse transmissions arent that expensive to replace.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?   

Back to top Go down

Adding grease fittings to extend the life of your transaxle?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1