All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerAdding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

Forum Rep : 0

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Empty
PostSubject: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Im building a speeder project and i was woundering if you can put a aftermarket amp gauge on it and a oil pressure gauge? The oil i was thinking of where the oil/drain plug is located run a T block so u can hook the fitting up there then you can also drain it also? my engine is a B&S 16hp OHV Single
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 pm

The ammeter should be no problem, many mowers come wth them stock. The oil pressure gauge might be a problem though. I was reading about this somewhere in my internet wanderings. What I read was that there is no oil pressure since mower engines are a sling style rather than a pump style. I can't say from experience, but it sounds right, makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

thats what i was thinking but i seen a guy on youtube with a B&S 15hp twin with a oil gauge and another guy with a craftsman idk tho
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

Forum Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm

There are some B&S engines with pressurized oiling systems, don't think the one you have is one of them though.

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2016 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2016 Media thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am

Damn ok now about tach i was woundering if i got one from an old single motor cycle or would a car tach work and how would i hook that up?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

Forum Rep : 10

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 am

Someone on here posted a tech kit that would work (I think they have a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire)... not sure how you could adapt ones like you listed.

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2016 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2016 Media thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2019!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 12:11 pm

yea ive seen some of the ones like that i had a kids 4stroke skidoo that had one on it i didnt like it as it was pretty delayed when u throttel it up
Back to top Go down
swbeebe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 am

If the motor has an oil filter then it is pressurized. If not then likely a sling style. The OHV engines are usually pressurized.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds

PostSubject: If you just want some gauges..   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 am

If you are just wanting some for looks, Im sure you can add a few easy ones. like, fuel gauge? Oil temp? I know they sell RPM gauges and you can add a speedometer. then there is the battery gauge.
thats five easy gauges you could add..if its more cosmetic then practical.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Veteran
Veteran
Jamus

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am

Tachs can be expensive for single and twin cylinder engines. Check on instructables.com and you can turn a bicycle speedometer into a tachometer, just putting in the correct number instead of the tire diameter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
gearheadmike
Skilled
Skilled
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 am

Ive decided to just go with the volt gauge i was wouldering if a motorcycle gauge would work but im going to check around
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
dangeroustoys56

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Most racers add a tach to keep an eye on RPM's because theyre running no governer - as mentioned oil pressure wont work w/o a pressurized oiling system .

On most my tractors i unhook the battery guage, mainly because they dont work in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?   Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adding Amp and Oil pressure Gauges On Lawn Tractors?
Page 1 of 1