All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off starts soon! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!

Share | 
 

 Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Sat May 22, 2010 3:05 am

I have been looking at parts for pit bikes. They are inexpensive.This is a setup for an ATV , all 4 wheels only about $70.Something for a two wheeler is about half that. http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Hydraulic_Brake_s/45.htm


Last edited by ncredleg on Sat May 22, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
avatar

Age : 8
Join date : 2010-02-09
Posts : 332
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Here!

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Sat May 22, 2010 8:25 am

Good find! I was going to use the brakes off of a pocketbike, but they are mechanical... I like the hydraulic ones! I bet they work well, and they're cheap!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chunk
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 26
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 779
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Angus, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Sat May 22, 2010 8:29 am

Im looking at mini moto brakes too. Cheapest way I can think of stopping. Really cant afford anything fanc. Wanting to spend maybe £20 total for a good setup
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/csakvids
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Pocket-minimoto bikes.   Sat May 22, 2010 9:50 am

@Chunk wrote:
Im looking at mini moto brakes too. Cheapest way I can think of stopping. Really cant afford anything fanc. Wanting to spend maybe £20 total for a good setup

There are probably more options for you in Europe, for parts sources, with the vast numbers of the smaller bikes on the road over there. There may be salvage/junkyards that specialize in just that. I know we have places here just for the bigger bikes ,atvs and personal watercraft(PWC).
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Sat May 22, 2010 10:19 am

Here is another link for an ATV set-up that has the rod for the brake pedal.A little more but, I have a young daughter and nieces and nephews who will be riding it .
Embarassed Oh, By the way this will be for my ATLT not my UTV that I am working on right now.
I am going to reuse the band brake on that cause it won`t be faster than stock, about 4.6 mph tops. Smile
They do make longer lines for the smaller brake set-ups.
http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/popup_image/pID/8655&f=5-l.jpg
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Sat May 22, 2010 10:59 am

Here is another link .I know that this is a hand brake but it should not be too hard to remove the lever and connect it to a rod and pedal. You would only have to figure out how to mount the cylinder to the frame and that should be easy to mount to a tube.
http://www.scooterpart.net/products.php?id=1469[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
arild365
Skilled
Skilled
avatar

Age : 22
Join date : 2010-02-11
Posts : 320
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Canada, BC

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 am

@ncredleg wrote:
Here is another link .I know that this is a hand brake but it should not be too hard to remove the lever and connect it to a rod and pedal. You would only have to figure out how to mount the cylinder to the frame and that should be easy to mount to a tube.
http://www.scooterpart.net/products.php?id=1469[img][/img]


Im thinking il get these ones. they look pretty decent. Do they fit any disc brake?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Master
Master
avatar

Age : 26
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 779
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Angus, Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Fri May 28, 2010 12:55 pm

There arent many scrapy yards locally to me anyway, and those that are only really deal in cars mostly. I'll just have to keep a look out everywhere. SHouldnt be hard to make a good setup for cheap!
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/csakvids
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm

@arild365 wrote:
@ncredleg wrote:
Here is another link .I know that this is a hand brake but it should not be too hard to remove the lever and connect it to a rod and pedal. You would only have to figure out how to mount the cylinder to the frame and that should be easy to mount to a tube.
http://www.scooterpart.net/products.php?id=1469[img][/img]


Im thinking il get these ones. they look pretty decent. Do they fit any disc brake?

That is complete minus the pads.They have those as well .You would need to get the rotor and mount it on the axle ,then mount the caliper to a bracket on the frame. You can use a rotor from a go-kart set-up or buy it from http://www.northerntool.com .
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 52
Join date : 2010-05-16
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : NC

PostSubject: Here is another link for info on brake set-up. great pictures.   Fri May 28, 2010 4:36 pm

@ncredleg wrote:
@arild365 wrote:
@ncredleg wrote:
Here is another link .I know that this is a hand brake but it should not be too hard to remove the lever and connect it to a rod and pedal. You would only have to figure out how to mount the cylinder to the frame and that should be easy to mount to a tube.
http://www.scooterpart.net/products.php?id=1469[img][/img]


Im thinking il get these ones. they look pretty decent. Do they fit any disc brake?

That is complete minus the pads.They have those as well .You would need to get the rotor and mount it on the axle ,then mount the caliper to a bracket on the frame. You can use a rotor from a go-kart set-up or buy it from http://www.northerntool.com .
http://www.bsatroop251.com/Brakes/brakes.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?   

Back to top Go down
 
Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Will Hydraulic brakes from ATVs and pit bikes work on a tractor?
» Cheap go kart project
» bleed promax hornet brakes
» How do you set up after market brakes?
» Vermont to revoke rule allowing ATVs on state land

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Drivetrain & Brake Tech :: General Drivetrain Topics-
Jump to: