All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!

Go down 
+4
greener179
dangeroustoys56
muddstir
tralme98
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tralme98
tralme98

pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Empty
PostSubject: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 5:42 pm

My new Lawn Tractor, I think ill make it a mudder!!!! Very Happy Its a MTD Lawn King
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_4134
14.5 horse briggs
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_4137

Last edited by tralme98 on December 1st 2012, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 10:33 pm

Nice lookin tractor.

Whats your plans- setup for it?

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Reply    pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 11:30 pm

My plans are to do a pully swap, snorkel,remove the deck, better tires, brighter headlights new paint and possibly a detachable plow oh and a ball hitch i dont know exactly what i will do but count on the basics for sure then i'll start making crazy stuff!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Update #1 Removing the Deck   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 11:45 pm

Well this is my first of many updates for my soon to be mudding mower. It's only one day in and I think I have already decided on a name for it, THE MEAN MACHINE!!!
Today I first got the 14.5 briggs engine started, oh man did that thing need some encouraging. Second I removed the deck, my parents where not to fond of me doing this so I made it so I could reattach it at anytime(but don't plan on it). So with that out of the way my next step will be lifting the mower a couple of inches, so look for that update but for now I will only be cleaning the body, engine and headlights. This has been update one of the MEAN MACHINE!!!!
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0368
got the deck off
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0369
Getting the jacks off
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0370
ready to romp!!!!!!!!!!
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0371-1
any suggestions are greatly appreciated and tips are helpful please check out this topic often because there is more to come! See you guys later! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 12:33 am

I posted in your other thread about how much modding youll need to do for both - if its lifted , youd need to do some mods to the drivetrain , easiest in putting a manual trans in it - the variable pulley setup just has too much stuff going on to correctly lift it.

The stock transaxle uses a splined pulley - youll have to cut the center from the stock one and weld onto another one or find some sort of adapter, if you keep the transaxle, id suggest putting zerk fittings in to grease it. Youll need to adjust the speed control rod under the tractor for the pulley swap to actually work( hooks to the speed control lever on the rear fender ) - i did a swap on a MTD, even with different pulleys, it barely went faster then stock - just dont adjust the neutral setting- or you wont have any brakes or clutching action.

Also the stock transaxle has different axle ends - one side is milled flat and fits in the wheel , putting bigger tires on either involves welding a hub on the axle or to the center of the original wheel . The other alternatives are locating a taller, aggressive tire for stock rims ( 8" diameter) , or welding a larger rim to the old rims.

This is what your drive setup looks like:
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! File0016

Youll probably also want to switch to a foot gas pedal for better control /better response.

Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Update #2 Hitch   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 8:23 pm

Today I wandered over to Menards and got myself a 2,600 lbs. test hook with pin and quick release for either me getting pulled out or pulling someone else out. I had such a small update today, well just because its a Monday and i really didn't feel very adventurous and did not really care to do something very big. I also have pic's of the hitch and my tire sizes for the front and back of the tractor ( y X c X t ). Expect a update on a pulley swap and new wiring to come. Alright guy's that's it for today, keep checking this topic and please, please comment and tell me what you think I greatly appreciate it and try to comment back. Thanks.

All tarped up for the rain
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC008011
Hitch
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC008001
Back tire
Size: 18" tall and 8" wide with a 9" rim (as of now, subject to change)
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC008021
Front Tire 13" tall and 6" wide with a 7" rim (as of now, subject to change)
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC008031
Thanks

-Trent
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: WHEN IT FIRST STARTED   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 8:57 pm

pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_4134
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 2:02 pm

Youll want to reinforce that rear hitch area - its thin sheetmetal - ive bent and twisted them pretty bad before. Years ago i bot a tractor that had this hitch on it :
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! 14030010

It bolted right thru the sides of the chassis and was made from 1/4" steel .
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply to dangeroustoys56   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 5:25 pm

To tell you the truth you just described what i was going to do but after reading it i thought hard and long and decided not to lift it anymore and just do a pulley swap bigger tires and a manual transmission. Thanks for talking about the clutch because with the different sized pulleys it might disable the clutch all together. Thanks for replying.

-Trent
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply to dangeroustoys56   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 5:28 pm

Thanks for mentioning your hitch I really did not think about reinforcing it at all but i defiantly will now!!!Thanks.

-Trent
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 4th 2012, 8:42 pm

Yeah stock MTD tires arent worth a hoot - you should be able to put something else with decent treads on the stock rims - the stock MTD tires come off easy because of the tall sidewalls - i put a pair of shorter sidewall and not as wide tires on a MTD project ( wanted it lowered)- was a bi#ch putting em on, plus had to use tubes.

For the hitch an easy way out is to put a piece of angle sandwiched between the back end/hitch area - helps strengthen it a bit , instead of building a custom hitch setup.
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply to dangeroustoys56   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 8:17 pm

Yea, I did not think of reinforcing the hitch so thanks for telling me and yeah I'm looking into getting sand tires for my quad and putting the old rear tires on my quad on my tractor.
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Pulley Swap   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 8:35 pm

Okay today I went to Fleet Farm to buy a 5 1/2 inch pulley to replace the original 3 1/2 pulley that was original to the mower and as well a new belt that is roughly 2 in bigger to compensate for the new pulley. Does any one know how much faster it would go ?
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 12:03 pm

How big is your rear pulley
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply    pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 2:17 pm

I think somewhere around 7 inches
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Update #3 Pulley Swap   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 10:05 pm

Today I started to do a pulley swap on my MTD Yard Machine the original pulley in the front was a 3 1/2 to a 5 1/2 so that a 2in. increase and that means that I need a bigger belt so I went out and bought a new belt that would compensate for the bigger pulley. So today's progress included grinding off the old pulley and welding the new pulley to the old pulley. Now all I need to do is mount the new pulley on to the drive shaft of the motor and put in the new belt and lastly reconfigure the clutch/brake pedal if needed, I know, I know easier said than done but hats the plan. Here are some pics!

Got her jacked up to get the pulley and belt out
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0486
New Belt
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0485
New Pulley from fleet Farm
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! IMG_0484
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: THE PULLEY SWAP IS DONE!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 4:55 pm

I just finished the pulley swap today and now think i have to get some tires with more tread because it does not grip the ground and it does not turn so expect that for the next update that and a ATV rack for the back and beefing up the hitch. Here are some pic's.
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC00823
pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! DSC00818-Copy
So next updates are ATV tires, Rack and hitch. Thanks Please Leave a reply!
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2012, 10:35 pm

Nice tractor. Very clean build. Get a good rack and some ATV tires on that sucker and You'll have one sweet ride. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2012, 1:03 am

For now you could let some air out of the tires for a lil more grip - the sidewalls will flex enough.
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply to tractor man jeff   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2012, 11:25 pm

Thanks man your comment means a lot!
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Reply to dangeroustoys   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2012, 11:26 pm

Yeah I thought about doing that but I was so excited to ride it after I finished the pulley swap.
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 7:06 pm

Any updates???
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Paused *Until Summer*   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2013, 10:56 am

My dad is using the shop to store the cars in for the winter and I have no place to work on this so I have paused it until summer.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2013, 3:20 pm

got a lawnmower just like this one but it has a 15.5 ohv tecusmeh motor. oil pressurized
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: BACK IN BUISSNESS   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitimeFebruary 27th 2013, 8:07 pm

Okay it's been a while okay, a LONG while but I have some space to work now and I am looking for suggestions on what to do next. I have the supplies to do a ATV rack type of thing, I can try to put bigger tires on the front(will be putting some better ones on the back soon!) and I really want to do a bumper(back and front) but I don't know where to start.I'M BACK!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!   pulley - MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Lawn Machine Mudder!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next