All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Exhaust/Stack Ideas

Go down 
+19
Thecrazyoldcraftman
Doug
Junkstarbuilds
Ariens YT11
boggo
Tractor Man Jeff
CornishMorgan
TheRainbowBoxer
gearheadmike
W1ldyOvvnZ
Craftsman Dude
Chopperhed
TennesseeCowboy
Bigal
CityRedneck
AcreFarm
canadianromper
dangeroustoys56
Crazymudder
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Empty
PostSubject: custom Exhaust for lawn tractor   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2011, 9:53 pm

I'm making a sweet exhaust what way is reccomeneded to sound good and still be fairly loud
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2011, 7:36 am

Well, it has to be long enough with some bends in it - otherwise youll be looking at burnt valves- motors like a lil back pressure.

Most people run thiers either stack style or straight out the back- i like the side pipe exit before the rear tires- old skool style.
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Exhaust   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2011, 6:26 pm

alright thanks man
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 3:44 pm

i made mine go under me footrest and it sounds pretty good to me.I used to have a stack on it and i couldn`t get it to stay but it sounded really good
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 4:04 pm

I ran mine under the footrest too, straight out to the back of the tractor. I stepped the pipe from 1" off the block to 1 1/4 then up to 2" It's pretty loud, but overall sound is very good.
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 7:14 pm

on mine im going to do a tugboat exhaust setup. make 2"holes in the fender of the body (dual) and on the outside of the fender will be atv exhaust tips and on the inside will be atv pipes. i want my 21hp to sound like a brute force hauling ass down the road (srry for the language)
Back to top Go down
Bigal
Bigal

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2012, 9:43 pm

Right now I have a stack on mine with a flapper like on a full size tractor but I am thinking of putting it under the foot rest because the stack sounds good for the first couple mins. but after awhile it gets really and gives you a headache for those long romps so i am hoping i can bend it down under the foot rest and it will not be as loud but that is just my thought so goood luck Smile Razz
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 4:08 pm

I need some ideas for a stack or pipe of some kind for my mower. I want it to look like a tractor stack but i don't know how to build it or attach it. Any ideas or info would help tons. Here's some pics of my setup
exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Imag0010

exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Imag0011

Somehow i need to make it so where my steering rods won't hit it..
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 4:13 pm

If its a threaded muffler, then simple plumbing pipe will work to build a stack, but you will want to support the vertical part some how.

If its like my B&S it has a flanged outlet, in which case you got some fabbing to do.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 4:54 pm

Looks like a flathead so it should be threaded.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 5:01 pm

If its threaded it should be either 3/4" NPT or 1" NPT. Either way all you need is a 4-6" nipple, elbow, and piece of pipe as long as you want the stack to be.

Build a bracket of some sort to support the vertical stack.

You can also by adapters, etc. if you want a bigger stack
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 5:18 pm

wouldn't it be a flange? the two bolts are there that look like they attach into the block. I dont know if it also has a threaded part too(I never manged to get those style ones off, I end up leaving them how they come). I would go to a local store that sells tractor parts and get a tractor flap in whatever side you want then get a pipe that will fit the flap and put a 90 degree bend in it and weld it to the existing flange from the muffler or weld it right to the muffler.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 13th 2012, 7:34 pm

if its anythng like all my B&S engine it has both thread hole and the to threaded bolt holes for the exhaust style he has on it now.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 9:38 am

That's the same thing I've seen... exhaust port has both threaded opening and bolt holes.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 11:57 am

My 1998 B & S 15.5 OHV is flanged only no threads
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 12:50 pm

My 11hp briggs flathead has a 1inch outlet port with a thread and bolt holes. The 2 bolts in the muffler go into the outlet ports to hold it in and there is a bolt in the head that supports the muffler. When i pulled my muffler there was no threads on the muffler, it was just bolted to the engine, the muffler didn't have a thread. I'd guess yours will be the same since we have the same engine.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 7:22 pm

Of all the briggs motors ive seen the flatheads had threads and th OHVs didnt.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2012, 11:00 pm

I haven't had a chance to take it off and see if its threaded or not. I like the tractor flapper idea though, sounds great. Is there any problems that i could run up on by doing this though? Like something exploding because of too much pressure or anything?! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 7:33 am

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
I haven't had a chance to take it off and see if its threaded or not. I like the tractor flapper idea though, sounds great. Is there any problems that i could run up on by doing this though? Like something exploding because of too much pressure or anything?! lol!

In another group I'm in they put a pipe nipple in the threads and cut it flush with the flanged surface. Seems odd to me, but they say the single makes more horsepower that way. Then they put on a flanged bolted header pipe. I read B&S took a 5hp and tried to see what could be done with it, and the largest horsepower gain came fron taking off the thread-in muffler and using a header pipe! Don at G-Team Racing has a couple videos on hopping up the flathead engines that are well worth buying.
Garry
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 9:24 am

I had a stack on my tractor for a while, but it proved more of a nuisance for several reasons. The way I did it was run it through the hood using pipe fittings.
exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas DSC_0759
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 3:51 pm

That does look like it would get in the way being through the hood like that. I'm wanting to run mine out and up next to the hood. Does it make a big difference in sound?
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 4:10 pm

The one above was pretty quiet, being a very short exhaust. My hood just wasn't shaped for a stack. It will be much easier with your tractor.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 5:08 pm

Yeah i figured lol. I want it to sound more deep like a tractor, how would i do that?
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2012, 8:35 pm

You can do it like this. Laughing Slip a piece of exhaust over the muffler. Makes it much louder. another way is to make the stack taller with the muffler at the bottom of the stack. You can also just straight pipe it.
exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas DSC_0761

Though I stuck this stack over the muffler, I never tried it. Looks a little silly.
exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas DSC_0750
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 2:07 pm

Ok, so i took it off and found out that the engine part is threaded. And i found a piece of pipe that would thread into it. What should i do next? (Unless I should just leave it like this... lol! ) Its pretty loud too, how would i make it have a deeper roar to it instead of a loud popping sound?exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Imag0012
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   exhaust - Exhaust/Stack Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust/Stack Ideas
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next