All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Exhaust/Stack Ideas

Go down 
+19
Thecrazyoldcraftman
Doug
Junkstarbuilds
Ariens YT11
boggo
Tractor Man Jeff
CornishMorgan
TheRainbowBoxer
gearheadmike
W1ldyOvvnZ
Craftsman Dude
Chopperhed
TennesseeCowboy
Bigal
CityRedneck
AcreFarm
canadianromper
dangeroustoys56
Crazymudder
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TennesseeCowboy

Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 2:07 pm

Ok, so i took it off and found out that the engine part is threaded. And i found a piece of pipe that would thread into it. What should i do next? (Unless I should just leave it like this... lol! ) Its pretty loud too, how would i make it have a deeper roar to it instead of a loud popping sound?Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Imag0012
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 9:54 pm

You can only do so much with the sound. Small engines like these ain't going to sound like a 460 V8 gasser for sure. lol! I found making the pipe bigger makes a deeper tone. Making a longer stack will also make it deeper, but it could be detrimental if you roll the thing over. Just try a bunch of ideas and see which one gives you the deepest tone.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 10:27 pm

for deeper louder volume a megaphone is best.

you have a threaded port. Go to a hardware store or any place that sells plumbing and heating supplies and for a few bucks, you can build a system that progressively gets larger as it extends. The longer and bigger the pipe the deeper it will get.

For maximum effect, a cheapo motorcyle megaphone from motovan will add a bit of flash and some nice tones.. They have turn out styles Rat tail styles, anything you could want for motorcycle atv side by side and sled parts. They are canadian, so shipping south may be an issue. but i find I can get their parts from any serious bike shop in town. And If you look, you can find some very economical deals on go kart, dune buggy, cycle , atv, stuff.

Sorry about the plug, but i love their catalogue.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 11:27 pm

I ran shorty pipes ( temporarily) on my 18HP twin murray - thing sounded just like a harley davidson motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
boggo
boggo

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2012, 8:06 am

how i did mine
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 2012-02-12124012
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 2012-02-12124025
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 2012-02-11134845
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 2012-02-12124048
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 19th 2012, 11:52 am

boggo, that setup is kinda like the one i was thinking of making. How does yours sound?
Back to top Go down
boggo
boggo

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2012, 8:03 pm

it sounded really good, nice thump to it but was abit loud being a black 11hp motor. lower revs should be fine though (i had mine screaming its head off). but everyone around my area likes it, so it did get alot of attention Razz
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2012, 9:31 pm

Not a stack, but this is my exhaust. It's 1" from the block, stepped to 1 1/4" for 24" then stepped to 2" for another 20". It's got a good, low rumble at low RPMs, with a decent bark when wide open
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 IM001149
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2012, 9:44 pm

That there is what is called a good looking tail pipe. Well supported, and well built. Not to mention good smooth flow.

Nice job cheers

Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 12:20 pm

boggo wrote:
it sounded really good, nice thump to it but was abit loud being a black 11hp motor. lower revs should be fine though (i had mine screaming its head off). but everyone around my area likes it, so it did get alot of attention Razz
Mine has an 11 hp, think that would be a problem if i run it wide open mostly?

AcreFarm wrote:
Not a stack, but this is my exhaust. It's 1" from the block, stepped to 1 1/4" for 24" then stepped to 2" for another 20". It's got a good, low rumble at low RPMs, with a decent bark when wide open
Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 IM001149
I dig that. Looks really professional lol
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 1:05 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Mine has an 11 hp, think that would be a problem if i run it wide open mostly?

Unless you remove the governor, these things are built to run wide open all day long. Removing the governor will negate that. Over revving these engines can cause severe damage.

They are built to be best around 3000 to 3500 rpm depending on the engine. Some may even go as high as 4000.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 1:19 pm

Ours put up with ungoverned over revving just fine, but we also understand that we are reducing the life expectancy of the engine. In general, valve float will keep the RPMs down enough to prevent serious issues. For liability reasons, I would not recommend doing what we do though Wink

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 1:26 pm

Certain flathead flywheels have been known to explode, and cause some pretty severe injuries. I've had a flywheel come off after the threaded section broke on the crank, and the retaining nut disappeared. Some sanctioning bodies have outlawed rear engine riders due to exploding flywheels causing severe injuries.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 1:41 pm

I've heard that, and (other than modified engines) never seen any proof it happens. B&S would have to have the flywheels tested at a much higher RPM than stock for liability reasons. If you mod the engine to make the RPMs go past the natural ceiling that a stock engine has (like the racing people do), you would definitely have a point. The magnitude of a lawsuit facing B&S would be huge if a governor failed and the flywheel detonated. Would love to see someone get video of spinning one to the point of destruction to see what it would take.

Note: edited for clarity

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Last edited by TheRainbowBoxer on December 21st 2012, 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2012, 1:43 pm

...and like I said, I don't recommend anyone do what we do.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 9:07 pm

Lol thanks for the tips guys but thats totally not what i was asking..I was wondering if his pipe setup would be unbearably loud if i ran wide open all the time lol! But thanks anyways:)
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2012, 10:27 pm

TennesseeCowboy wrote:
Lol thanks for the tips guys but thats totally not what i was asking..I was wondering if his pipe setup would be unbearably loud if i ran wide open all the time lol! But thanks anyways:)

To answer your question is yes it would get loud after a while.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 12:02 am

To answer your Q: Any kind of straight pipe is gonna be pretty loud at throttle.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 2:14 pm

Ahhh that sucks, I want it loud, just not destroying my ears loud haha
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 3:48 pm

Where the exhaust exits will effect how loud it is for the operator. If you have a short stack that dumps around head-level it will be considerably louder for you than something that dumps below your head & out to the side, or out the back. My ATLT has no muffler at all, just the long pipe, and it is bearable for the operator. Not quiet... but definitely bearable.
I mow with an 11hp Murray that has a straight-thru tractor muffler which dumps below the left footrest. It's not bad for the operator, but it's pretty loud for anyone off to the side of it.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 4:31 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
Where the exhaust exits will effect how loud it is for the operator. If you have a short stack that dumps around head-level it will be considerably louder for you than something that dumps below your head & out to the side, or out the back. My ATLT has no muffler at all, just the long pipe, and it is bearable for the operator. Not quiet... but definitely bearable.
I mow with an 11hp Murray that has a straight-thru tractor muffler which dumps below the left footrest. It's not bad for the operator, but it's pretty loud for anyone off to the side of it.
Some good info here, what about slightly below head level and pointed forwards?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 4:44 pm

I think anything right at, or just above/below head-level is going to be pretty loud... If it is an open exhaust.
I've got a stack (straight-thru tractor muffler) on my Wheel Horse that ends above my head, and that's not too loud at all. But that wouldn't be a good option for a tractor that will be running thru brush and low-hanging branches.
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 6:48 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
I think anything right at, or just above/below head-level is going to be pretty loud... If it is an open exhaust.
I've got a stack (straight-thru tractor muffler) on my Wheel Horse that ends above my head, and that's not too loud at all. But that wouldn't be a good option for a tractor that will be running thru brush and low-hanging branches.
i don't quite understand..did you use an actual tractor muffler?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 23rd 2012, 8:20 pm

On my regular mower, and my Wheel Horse I used tractor mufflers. My all terrain mower has no muffler, just the stepped tailpipe I made for it.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 6:17 am

My regular tractors all have mufflers, yet some stock are loud as hell - i ran open shorty headers on the ex mod murray with a twin - thing was pretty loud , but it was temporary ( didnt want to burn a valve) .

The older briggs flatheads are threaded and use bolts to hold the mufflers on - my 82 has both. My 70 toro has a threaded setup on the 5HP - the only issue with that is its right near the clutch pedal - if my foot slips, itll burn my sneeker - need to find some sort of way to change it - it also has a small piece of metal welded to the chassis holding it up - im not sure if it was stock that way or someone changed it .
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2012, 10:02 am

I should have said farm tractor mufflers. These are both straight thru, but you can get them with a center baffle

Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Th_020_zpsa7512dee Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Th_019_zps83cff3ee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust/Stack Ideas   Exhaust/Stack Ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exhaust/Stack Ideas
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next