All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Empty
PostSubject: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 12:33 am

Ok, I know you can get transaxles from AWS lawn tractors and use them for 4x4 lawn tractors but I cant find any and thought of this 30-45min ago when I was drawing out an idea(custom snow blower/lawn tractor from old parts) and thought id show you guys the idea.

First yes I drew it out on paper and scanned it over to the computer, I hate MS paint when im drawing something quick to get the point across.

So heres the Picture:
Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Img001
I know its hard to read and probably understand, but its a transaxle placed under the front end of the lawn tractor frame and the brackets are made however then there are U-joints placed directly under where the pivot points are for the steering. then to allow for the axle to extend and contract there is a peice of keyed pipe(called the "Slip" in the picture) that fits over the axles and allows it to move back and forth for steering/suspension(This piece would need a gear fitting) and stoppers to prevent the pipe from moving and disconnecting each part of the axle. and on the other side of the U-Joint is a bearing to hold the other side of the axle. And the way it looks I think the suspension from the lawn tractor would still work.

by the looks of it I think it would work but it would need alot more beefing up from the picture to actually make it work well in the real world. Also I thought of this at 12am so my thoughts probably aren't all there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
ibdalovely1
ibdalovely1

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 2:16 pm

looks like a good concept but if you use a regular mower rear trans axle it will be like 6 foot wide you could probably adapt a 4x4 atv front end easier and the but at that point you could just use the whole front end from it
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 10:05 pm

the only problem with using a 4x4 front end is attaching it to the transaxle of a lawn tractor unless the plan is to completely rig up a system and use the rear end of the ATV and a transmission like a peerless 700 for the drive train. But yeah the system would be like 6ft wide, or at least wider then the rear end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 7:17 am

Actually, Hooking both up would be relatively easy. Just have a two grove pulley on the rear with one belt on the bottom linking the two transaxles, and one on top linking one to the engine. That wide stance would be awesome. The suspension would be a problem though as the belt will most likely jump the pulley.

This guy did an awesome build with this.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:09 pm

You can cut the axles on a stock trans to make it fit - since itll be solid mounted to the front axle, it wont need slip axles, but would need heavy duty u joints ( like farm tractor parts).

Mounting a pillow block bering on the spindle /axle ends would support the setup - best driveline setup would be to make a double trans pulley ( if theres room) - run to a center jackshaft ( the front trans would sit lower then the back) and then to the front trans.

Youd also have to come up with some sort of shifter setup as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)   Front - Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yet another 4x4 idea(With Lawn Tractor front suspension)
Page 1 of 1