All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Chat events held every Saturday, 8pm EST - whenever!
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
The 2018 Build Off is almost HALF WAY!! Click Here to view 2017 results!
ATLTF sticker shipments will resume soon! View them here, and keep up to date!
The forum is getting a minor face-lift. We hope you like it. Details here: Facelifting the Forum

Share | 

WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I fingured out a DETACHABLE OUTSIDE LOCK! I havent tried it yet because I dont have the parts, but I can find any holes in it. What if you had a rod with ball bearing supports (fearless has what Im taking about holding his axle for the racing mower) Then you'd add to gears to the ends, (justline the ones INSIDE a trans case) on the ends, the bearing supports could be mounted DIRECTLY TO THE TRANS AXLE., as there are mounts for the transaxle to the frame) Lastly, youd need to weld, or machine the axles to hold a gear on each side. (these go on the axles for the wheels.) This would DIRECTLY link both wheels, thereof, not needing any welding, so NO crap inside the trans. Anybody punch any holes in this idea?
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm

i get waht your saying, could work if done right, the bearing support device your refering to is called a pillow block by the way Smile
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Seems expensive and unnecessary. You could buy a duplicate transaxle off a scrapped tractor for the same price or cheaper than having to do all of the mill work, as well as all the parts required.

Plus since the gears are exposed, you run the risk of seizing them with rocks, gravel, etc and since they arent lubricated they would get hot and wear quick.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

2018 Build Off Entry Commissionaire - Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875, @MightyRaze
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 pm

I know you'd hae to have at least one spare transaxle or a bunch of spare gears. If the heat thing arised, Im sure you could revamp the entire thing to run off of chains and sprokets. and the only milling I was talking about is for the keyways for the gears/sprokets
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:04 pm

In this hobby, a lot of stuff guys try is most of the time unnecessary. The point is to see how far and what kind of neat and sometimes wacky ideas we can attempt to try. Sounds like a neat idea. I'd be curious to see if it can be done.

My tractor: Craftsman LT1000, 17HP Briggs Now a 20HP Briggs Apposed Twin, 6 speed Dana Trans-axle pulley swapped to 15MPH, golf cart front suspension and tires, ATV tires on the back, Rear ATV rack, front brush guard.

"An unconfirmed piece of junk in someones eyes can always be turned into a confirmed piece of art in your eyes."
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Sounds alot like the old 60's hot rods/drag racers using a 'quick change' rear end - the rear end has a cover , pop the cover and 2 'stubs' with the gears are actually separate from the main rear axle ( little or no gear oil comes out) and can swap gears almost instantly.

This is what one looks like:
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 am

Use them hot rod rear ends for IMCA Modifieds. Cause of the quick gear changes. Used in all kinds of stock cars lol. Had to add that in
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.   

Back to top Go down

WHat everybody wantedfor a locked trans.
Page 1 of 1