All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Addding shocks to rear transaxle

Go down 
+5
Marines2621
dangeroustoys56
Tractor Man Jeff
Doug
avrappy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
avrappy

rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Empty
PostSubject: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 9:33 pm

Thinking of adding shocks to the rear of my craftsman.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2012, 9:39 pm

Be tricky unless you had a live axle or some other setup similar. If the puelly is on top of your Craftsmans transmission it would be near possible because the belt would just flex and fall off.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 9:08 am

You mean "Impossible" I think. Laughing Don't ya hate that? Yes if it flexes up or down to much, the belt will jump the pulley for sure. Also, you'd have to do some work to your shifting and brake linkage. Now if ya had one of them older tractors where the belt pulley is on the side of the tranny, you probably could do it. How was ya going to go about doing it?
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 9:52 am

Yes, my mower has a spicer 4 speed transaxle. I know about the belt & flex. I was thinking someone had tried it. The linkage looks like it would flex enough. It would only be 2" of movement alowed. How do you upload a pic.?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 6:08 pm

Be easier to get a 700 peerless trans and run a separate axle then to mess with trying to setup a 'normal' trans for flex. Or an ATV setup with a swing arm suspension.

Only way to make something actually work would be to come up with a driveshaft setup - that way could flex and move - youd need coil overs to raise the tractor, and locating bars with hiem joints on the ends ( 3 - one for each side and a pan hard bar or 4- 2 on each side) - to keep the trans lined up under the tractor.

If a right angle gear box was mounted to the trans ( with correct angles for drivelines set) - then a driveshaft could be hooked up. Alot of work and probably a good amount of money.

Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 6:46 pm

I thought about this on mine because it have a peerless 4 speed horizontal shaft transaxle.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 6:49 pm

It can be done with belts. but it woud take a serious ( very serious) amount of hacking/modding/engineering/fabbing.

the great thing about belt is that they flex, in all axis.

for a top pulley, vertical drive transaxle, all it would take is a set of idlers in line with the trans pully, and a set of idlers for the engine pulley. there would have to be a seperate idler with a heavy spring to adjust for the extra slack that would show up in suspension travel.

they use factory idler setups to make 90 degree corners for snow blowers and mower decks all the time. all it takes is a set of idlers on each end of the pivot point(s)

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 6:53 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
I thought about this on mine because it have a peerless 4 speed horizontal shaft transaxle.

If its horizontal like on my old Agway it would be fairly easy to put a leaf spring suspension, a little more fab work for coil. Then you just have to worry about your shift linkage.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 7:04 pm

Why not have regular shocks on it? With custom bars attached to the front of the transaxle to keep it from falling out and have the shocks mounted behind the transaxle on both sides.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 7:27 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
Why not have regular shocks on it? With custom bars attached to the front of the transaxle to keep it from falling out and have the shocks mounted behind the transaxle on both sides.

Theres a lot more to suspension than just shocks. For the front, if its not locked, its not a problem since it pivots in the middle. However, for rear suspension, you actually will need leaves or coils to hold the body off the transaxle. Otherwise, when you sit on it, the shocks would just depress and not do much of anything.

Shocks just slow movement. In a car, the springs hold the body off the wheels, the shocks just keep your vehicle from bouncing after hitting a hole. Same principle on a tractor, the front shocks on a pivot just slow the pivot down.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 8:28 pm

Im just use to Dirt Oval Racing. U could use coilovers make spring buckets on the transaxle and the mower itself and have springs plus shock. and 2 arms for each side to keep from the rearend shifting out from under the tractor. Leaf springs are also a good concept to have instead of all this racing stuff i know. Lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 8:51 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
Im just use to Dirt Oval Racing. U could use coilovers make spring buckets on the transaxle and the mower itself and have springs plus shock. and 2 arms for each side to keep from the rearend shifting out from under the tractor. Leaf springs are also a good concept to have instead of all this racing stuff i know. Lol

It doesnt really matter what you put on for suspension, as long as it springs and you have shocks to absorb it. Just plain shocks on the rear is pointless.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 1st 2013, 8:54 pm

True about that
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 9:47 am

It was a idea. My front pivits . It's just rough riding in the rear. I would be useing coilover shocks and use links to tie the front of axle to body. Thought about a panhard bar also. I don't really need it to flex much, just soften the ride alittle. Thanks for the input. I wish I could post a pic. I pulled the axle out and inspeced it.Added more grease. It was replaced before I got the mower. Turns out it has a Spicer 4 speed not a 5. It was free by the way. It pays being a Mobile Smalll Engine Mechanic & having your own business. The customer had two mowers he diddn't want. I got both running.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 8:10 pm

Only way to soften the ride with out alot of mods is to let some air out of the tires or get tires with a better flexing sidewall - they wernt designed for offroad, just mowing.

I ran my old agway thru a ton of rough stuff , swamps, thru the woods, over trees - i think i took more of a beating then it did - but it was fun.

Only way to see what would work is get a cheep old tractor and experement on it with different setups till something works ( specially if youre hacking stuff up on it).
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2013, 8:56 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Only way to soften the ride with out alot of mods is to let some air out of the tires or get tires with a better flexing sidewall - they wernt designed for offroad, just mowing.

I ran my old agway thru a ton of rough stuff , swamps, thru the woods, over trees - i think i took more of a beating then it did - but it was fun.

Only way to see what would work is get a cheep old tractor and experement on it with different setups till something works ( specially if youre hacking stuff up on it).

Yup. Or get softer seat springs to make your ride a little more enjoyable. Not much you can do.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
MTD Master

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2013, 9:49 am

No this is possible. It takes a little work but when you get done, it is definitely worth it. What you do is get a couple A arms (homemade or whatever you got) and a smaller universal joint and put the universal joint in and cut you input shaft on your transaxle but not to low and weld that universal joint on there and then connect the other end of the universal to the input pulley. But keep in mind you will have to get a bearing of some sort and run the top of your universal joint through to keep your pulley in one spot while allowing your transaxle to move. This definitely works it just requires a little work. Good luck man.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: rear suspension   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2013, 5:20 pm

Well fella's, I'm GONNA do this... with an old MTD single speed transaxle and the stock varidrive pulley ( I'm keeping it 2 belt, though I'll have to rearrange stuff. I'm new to the forum, but not to fabrication or farmyard engineering. I'm planning a 4 wheel sprung "Tructor" from an old mtd
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2013, 11:51 pm

Seat springs, Tire PSI, Engine mounts (optional but like the ones on a pressure washer), Seat (mtd makes the best seats), Quiet it down.
The ranch king road like a cadillac on 2-ply stock 4 wheeler tires. My pony however road like a brick lol. Hopefully this mini gt i got will ride better with its old school Leaf spring sorta spring. Like a U but sideways.
Here is the Fat man chair as i Call it, its an MTD High back seat.

rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle $(KGrHqNHJEYE916R2vY4BPfcSdJTo!~~60_12
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Addding shocks to rear transaxle   rear - Addding shocks to rear transaxle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Addding shocks to rear transaxle
Page 1 of 1