All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Homemade Garden Tractor

Go down 
+8
Webmaster
Marines2621
Tractor Man Jeff
Doug
Chopperhed
TennesseeCowboy
MurrayMayhem
98Murray
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
98Murray
98Murray

Homemade Garden Tractor Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:32 pm

I thought you guys would enjoy seein some pics of my most prized possesion. No I didnt make it and no it does not run yet. I have been talking with the editor of Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine about having it featured in the mag. She has looked over the photos and write up and may put it in the mag so yall may be seeing this in the magazine.

Tractor's history
This tractor was made in the mid 1990's by a man who lived in north Texas. He was a very good welder and made many alluminum boats. When his old riding mower broke down he decided to buy a new one that he could use for mowing his lawn, working in his garden, and moving trailers. He looked at John Deere, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and even Sears but he could not find a garden tractor that met his requirments so he decided to make one. He got to work and started buying materials. He started making it in December 1993 an finished it in July 1994. He used the tractor almost daily for mowing, working in the garden, and moving trailers. He used the tractor up until he passed away in 2003. When he passed his property and equipment was auctioned off. The auctoneer was a good freind of the creator of the tractor and when it came up in the auction he bought it. He used the tractor for a couple years and then it was parked in the barn out back. The tractor sat in the exact same same spot until October 2012 when I purchased the tractor and brought it home. I have not done much to the tractor but I plan on fixing it and using it for mowing and gardening. The creator made afew attachments for the tractor including a modified Brinly 12 inch plow ad a homemade disc cultivator. These attachments have been lost over the years.

Tractor's spec
Waukesha 23 horsepower 4 cylinder gas engine
Borg Warner T83 3 speed transmission with 2 shifters (3 forward speeds one reverse)
Narowed Chysler rear axle from the 1950's
Has 12 volt electrical system
5 gallon gas tank
Waukesha radiator
Water temp guage
Oil pressure guage
Amp guage
Hydraulic brakes
5.70/5.00 front tire size
9.5-16 rear tire size
38 inch mower deck from 1970's Sears/Roper GT
Has electric start with genorator
Tractor is about 80 inches long, 46 inches wide, and about 4 feet tall at the top of the steering wheel (highest point) measurements taken with mower deck attached

Homemade Garden Tractor Img_4404
Homemade Garden Tractor Img_4407
Homemade Garden Tractor Img_4415
Homemade Garden Tractor Img_4478
Back to top Go down
MurrayMayhem
MurrayMayhem

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:41 pm

Dude are you crazy!!!! That mower looks as though its the best mudding mower of all time, i say you make it a mud mower by taking the deck off, straight piping the exhaust, and locking the transaxle which you can learn on FearlessFront @Youtube
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:43 pm

Wow! Thats incredible! I cant believe thats homemade and its that professional looking. Nice find!
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:50 pm

Thanks. It would probably never get stuck with those rear tires lol. The rear axle came out of a car so I dont know how I'd lock it but I am going to leave it just the way it is. It has 2 brakes, one on each side that are currently hooked up to one pedal but I am going to change that by adding another pedal and hooking it up with indepindent rear brakes so I can spin this thing around like a zero turn. Heres a pic with the mower deck off. I took this pic with a cheap camera so its not very good

Homemade Garden Tractor 550830_445773525468170_1290789719_n
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2013, 11:59 pm

The absolute best thing about this tractor is that it only cost me $50
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 12:07 am

dude, you can't mess with that. It has to be kept original, or at least, keep it returnable to original.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 1:13 am

Yea, I wouldnt mess with it at all. $50 for a 1-of-a-kind tractor, leave it.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 9:21 am

I 2nd that for sure! Leave it stock. That thing is a one of a kind tractor for sure. If that thing uses automotive drive train, It should be tough as nails and indestructible. A nice find for sure and a steal at that price. Take that to farm shows and you'll get lots of looks. How fast does that thing go?
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 10:59 am

Well I havent had it running yet so I have no idea how fast it is. I plan on using it for mowing and working my garden. I do want to add a hydraulic outlet system for pull behind impliments like plows, discs, etc. And I really would like to add the individual brakes so I can operate this like a full sized tractor.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 1:28 pm

That is nice.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 2:59 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
That is nice.
Thats a good lookin early 80's Murray GT you have. Is that a 39004 or 39003? The difference is the 16 HP or 18 HP Briggs
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 3:33 pm

its a 16 horse
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 5:08 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
its a 16 horse
That would make it a 39003. You should check out MurrayOwnersWorld.com it has lots of info photos and reference material on all Murrays including your 39003
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 5:10 pm

One of a kind! I like it! Since it's a Chrysler axle, maybe you could put a select-able locker in it so you could unlock it when u needed to turn. Being from the 50's might be tough.. that would be sick though. The only thing the surprises me is the fact that it only has a 38" deck.. I have a 11 hp briggs that runs a 36" deck.
Is it diesel or gas?
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 6:36 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
One of a kind! I like it! Since it's a Chrysler axle, maybe you could put a select-able locker in it so you could unlock it when u needed to turn. Being from the 50's might be tough.. that would be sick though. The only thing the surprises me is the fact that it only has a 38" deck.. I have a 11 hp briggs that runs a 36" deck.
Is it diesel or gas?
Its a gasser. Would be cool if it were a diesel. I could be rollin coal on a lawn mower!
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 9:45 pm

Great looking tractor! I love home-built machines
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 11:32 pm

i bet she pulls a plow like non other! totally awesome man!
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2013, 11:50 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments! Right now she is just a lawn orniment but I hope to have it running soon
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 12:14 am

Hey guys, I got it running. More info later
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 10:28 am

Great to hear. Keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 1:17 pm

Ok heres more info.

I emailed a magneto repair company a few days ago and asked how much it would cost to rebuild my magneto. I got an email yesterday from them and they said to rebuild that magneto would cost about $250 so I thanked them for replying with a quote and went outside to see if I could fix it myself. Took apart the magneto last night and looked at a damaged gear inside the magneto. The gear is missing a tooth but seems to work just fine so I put the magneto back together and put a good battery on it.

Now before I go any further with the description I must mention that the first time I attempted to start it I used the orignal battery which was no good so I had to jump start it. When I started it the first time the motor turned over very slow but at the time I just thought it was supposed to be that slow so I thought the magneto was faulty because I wasent getting spark.

Ok back to the description. I hooked up a nearly new 420 amp lawn and garden tractor battery on the tractor and attempted to start it. I noticed the motor spun over much faster so I got a little carb cleaner and sprayed in the carb and the motor busted off. When I get some gas I will try and get it running.
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 1:28 pm

When you say "Busted off" do ya mean it fired and then quit? I hope ya get her runnin.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 23rd 2013, 4:25 pm

nice looking tractor. at first i thought it looked like a jeep. bet that will win a couple tractor shows without a doubt!
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 12:33 am

Got the tractor running. Runs ok but has a timing issue. Its not good but heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl5GjUbQD28
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2013, 10:26 am

That's really amazing I love that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Homemade Garden Tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade Garden Tractor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next