All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forums

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Come to the chat room if you are a member!
ATTENTION--- The 2014 ATLTF Build-Off WINNERS! Click Here to view!
Click Here to get ATLTF Stickers and Business Cards!
Click Here to view our new decals, available exclusively from Sulfur City Design.
Share | 

Homemade Garden Tractor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 pm

I thought you guys would enjoy seein some pics of my most prized possesion. No I didnt make it and no it does not run yet. I have been talking with the editor of Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine about having it featured in the mag. She has looked over the photos and write up and may put it in the mag so yall may be seeing this in the magazine.

Tractor's history
This tractor was made in the mid 1990's by a man who lived in north Texas. He was a very good welder and made many alluminum boats. When his old riding mower broke down he decided to buy a new one that he could use for mowing his lawn, working in his garden, and moving trailers. He looked at John Deere, Kubota, Cub Cadet, and even Sears but he could not find a garden tractor that met his requirments so he decided to make one. He got to work and started buying materials. He started making it in December 1993 an finished it in July 1994. He used the tractor almost daily for mowing, working in the garden, and moving trailers. He used the tractor up until he passed away in 2003. When he passed his property and equipment was auctioned off. The auctoneer was a good freind of the creator of the tractor and when it came up in the auction he bought it. He used the tractor for a couple years and then it was parked in the barn out back. The tractor sat in the exact same same spot until October 2012 when I purchased the tractor and brought it home. I have not done much to the tractor but I plan on fixing it and using it for mowing and gardening. The creator made afew attachments for the tractor including a modified Brinly 12 inch plow ad a homemade disc cultivator. These attachments have been lost over the years.

Tractor's spec
Waukesha 23 horsepower 4 cylinder gas engine
Borg Warner T83 3 speed transmission with 2 shifters (3 forward speeds one reverse)
Narowed Chysler rear axle from the 1950's
Has 12 volt electrical system
5 gallon gas tank
Waukesha radiator
Water temp guage
Oil pressure guage
Amp guage
Hydraulic brakes
5.70/5.00 front tire size
9.5-16 rear tire size
38 inch mower deck from 1970's Sears/Roper GT
Has electric start with genorator
Tractor is about 80 inches long, 46 inches wide, and about 4 feet tall at the top of the steering wheel (highest point) measurements taken with mower deck attached

Back to top Go down
MurrayMayhem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Dude are you crazy!!!! That mower looks as though its the best mudding mower of all time, i say you make it a mud mower by taking the deck off, straight piping the exhaust, and locking the transaxle which you can learn on FearlessFront @Youtube
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Wow! Thats incredible! I cant believe thats homemade and its that professional looking. Nice find!
Back to top Go down
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks. It would probably never get stuck with those rear tires lol. The rear axle came out of a car so I dont know how I'd lock it but I am going to leave it just the way it is. It has 2 brakes, one on each side that are currently hooked up to one pedal but I am going to change that by adding another pedal and hooking it up with indepindent rear brakes so I can spin this thing around like a zero turn. Heres a pic with the mower deck off. I took this pic with a cheap camera so its not very good

Back to top Go down
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

The absolute best thing about this tractor is that it only cost me $50
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm

dude, you can't mess with that. It has to be kept original, or at least, keep it returnable to original.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Doug Fackler
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am

Yea, I wouldnt mess with it at all. $50 for a 1-of-a-kind tractor, leave it.

_X_ MEMBER LOCATION THREAD ** GOOGLE MAP _X_

Craftsman Rally Tractor  --  Offroad Cargo Trailer -- Agway GT Rebuild -- Gravely 1238-H Build
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 am

I 2nd that for sure! Leave it stock. That thing is a one of a kind tractor for sure. If that thing uses automotive drive train, It should be tough as nails and indestructible. A nice find for sure and a steal at that price. Take that to farm shows and you'll get lots of looks. How fast does that thing go?

My tractor: Craftsman LT1000, 17HP Briggs Now a 20HP Briggs Apposed Twin, 6 speed Dana Trans-axle pulley swapped to 15MPH, golf cart front suspension and tires, ATV tires on the back, Rear ATV rack, front brush guard.

"An unconfirmed piece of junk in someones eyes can always be turned into a confirmed piece of art in your eyes."
Back to top Go down
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 am

Well I havent had it running yet so I have no idea how fast it is. I plan on using it for mowing and working my garden. I do want to add a hydraulic outlet system for pull behind impliments like plows, discs, etc. And I really would like to add the individual brakes so I can operate this like a full sized tractor.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

That is nice.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
That is nice.
Thats a good lookin early 80's Murray GT you have. Is that a 39004 or 39003? The difference is the 16 HP or 18 HP Briggs
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

its a 16 horse
Back to top Go down
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Marines2621 wrote:
its a 16 horse
That would make it a 39003. You should check out MurrayOwnersWorld.com it has lots of info photos and reference material on all Murrays including your 39003
Back to top Go down
FearlessFront
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

One of a kind! I like it! Since it's a Chrysler axle, maybe you could put a select-able locker in it so you could unlock it when u needed to turn. Being from the 50's might be tough.. that would be sick though. The only thing the surprises me is the fact that it only has a 38" deck.. I have a 11 hp briggs that runs a 36" deck.
Is it diesel or gas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.atltf.com
98Murray
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Garden Tractor   Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:36 pm

FearlessFront wrote:
One of a kind! I like it! Since it's a Chrysler axle, maybe you could put a select-able locker in it so you could unlock it when u needed to turn. Being from the 50's might be tough.. that would be sick though. The only thing the surprises me is the fact that it only has a 38" deck.. I have a 11 hp briggs that runs a 36" deck.
Is it diesel or gas?
Its a gasser. Would be cool if it were a diesel. I could be rollin coal on a lawn mower!
Back to top Go down

Homemade Garden Tractor

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forums ::  :: -