All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

off road go kart

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
greener179
greener179

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 3:50 am

Im going to be building a off road go kart.and was wondering it i had to have caster ,camber if its only going to go like 20 25 mph
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 4:52 am

Depends - if it doesnt steer right, then might need to make it adjustable - most go karts only have tie rod adjustability , the racing ones have full adjustability, for different track conditions.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 12:44 pm

So caster and camber wont be that big of a deal on a off road go kart all its going to do is mudding.what about akreman or how ever you spell it
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 1:45 pm

caster and camber are pretty critical if you want to turn well. Ackerman is pretty important also. 25 mph on a lawn mower is pretty fast.

Caster helps the wheel straighten themselves back out after a turn, and determines stability at speed. Without some caster built in the front tires would want to dart left and right, and you would be constantly fighting the steering.
This would be exagerated by larger oversized tires
Camber helps in the turns as the outside tire leans in as it goes around a curve, without it the tires tend to push in corners.

Ackermann in the steering assembly allows the inside tire to turn more sharply than the outside tire, It allows the tires to follow proper arcs through a curve, once again, drastically improving turns
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
greener179
greener179

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 2:06 pm

Well i am stuck then i dont know how to do camber caster and ackerman
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 4:07 pm

I have some pics of my freinds basic go kart - looks like it has a lil negative camber built into the spindles:

off road go kart Go_kar10

Heres a web page explaining caster, camber and toe in to help you out:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

I know racing tractors with direct steering have to position the top of the front axle 10 degrees rear ward - to help the steering wheel 'return to center' easier .

Tractor spindles are misleading because the bushings where the spindles mount are at an angle- then the spindle bends to hold the tire/rim nearly straight - that can be the manufacturers way to beat the ackerman effect.

This is what Ackerman has been described as ( on a racing tractor site) : Ackerman effect is caused by the relationship between the position of the kingpins and the position of the outer tie-rod ends (the inward angle of the steering arms) and by the use of two separate inner tie-rod end mounting positions. Ackerman effect causes the inside front wheel to turn substantially more than the outside front wheel. Mowers employ far more Ackerman effect than almost any other type of vehicle except karts and it is used for somewhat different purposes than on a car.
A car uses Ackerman to minimize the effects of tire scrub when the vehicle is turning a corner. A mower (mostly) uses Ackerman effect (in conjunction with caster angle and scrub radius), to make the inside front wheel move downwards as much as possible how!! (By making it turn more), in order to raise the inside rear wheel at turn-in. Some mowers have adjustable Ackerman, involving the use of different length tie-rods, and mounting them in different holes on the steering arms and/or steering column.

Hope it helps y out some.
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 5:51 pm

If i buy spindles online is the camber and caster and ackrman already on those?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 7:16 pm

If youre just mudding it shouldnt be that much of an issue. Racing is a different story.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 8:52 pm

greener179 wrote:
If i buy spindles online is the camber and caster and ackrman already on those?

The caster and camber sre set in the front axle. ackermann is set by the angle between the axle and the tie rod arm/ (or whatever you want to call it.). A good manufacturer will be able to tell the angle on your spindle.

Do some research on rake and trail for motorcycles. it will help for the caster angles. No caster means a darting wheel that fights you all the time. Too much caster and it will be stone stable at speed, but hard to turn. it's all in the balance.

camber is essential for cornering. Stock tractor have some built in for a reason. Faster tractors need more. Race tractors have tons of it.

If you want to turn instead of push. camber is required. especially if you lock the arse end.
Consider camber as the effect that happens with a dirt bike ro bicycle front tire when you lean into a turn. The more you lean the faster you can get through the turn

Even if the main use is muddin. Sooner or later, everyone always takes a speed run. Adding wide tires to the front end increases the effects of poor geometry, and can cause severe instability. Also, larger tires mean more rotating mass, which means more mass that needs to be turned for steering.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
greener179
greener179

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 11:35 pm

So what degrees of camber and caster should i use it will have 20 inch tires up front
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 2:34 pm

We run ours with negative 10 degrees caster, no camber. We run up to 40mph and ours steer straight, are stable, and turn well. Not saying this is what you should run, just saying what works for us.

As I'v mentioned in other threads, we are VERY rough on our tractors and tend to go outside of the realms of normal sanity, so take it with a block of salt Wink

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

off road go kart Empty
PostSubject: Re: off road go kart   off road go kart Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

off road go kart
Page 1 of 1