All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

pulley bolt wont budge..help!

Go down 
+5
FOSWMT
murrayracer
Doug
gearheadmike
jaymz_eric
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Empty
PostSubject: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 12:25 pm

hey guys im trying to take the stock pulley setup off the motor of my briggs, but i cant get the bolt out even with my air ratchet. the biggest problem is trying to stop the motor from cranking when i use the ratchet....ive tried putting a pry bar in the fins of the flywheel to jam it up but it just bends the fins....any suggestions????
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 1:09 pm

u got a pipe wrench? and do u have the plastic fins or the metal cause they shouldnt bend they would just brake. Try letting is soak in pb blaster for a few days
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 2:58 pm

I use a breaker bar and a pipe wrench to remove my pulleys. Just grab onto the shaft of the pulley (space between the top and bottom pulley) with your pipe wrench, then go at it with your air ratchet. Make sure its going the right way too, dont wanna tighten it up/

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
murrayracer
murrayracer

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2013, 10:46 pm

i wrapped a rope around the pulley and then tied it to the front axle then i used a socket wrench to take it off.

when you wrap it around you have to do it so it tightens when you losen or tighten the bolt
Back to top Go down
FOSWMT
FOSWMT

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2013, 5:13 am

Saw a vid on youtube with a chap heating up underside of flywheel and melting wax down the shaft so it bubbles through it . This apparently releases the rust on the pulley
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendsofspeckledwood.org.uk
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2013, 6:24 am

jaymz_eric wrote:
hey guys im trying to take the stock pulley setup off the motor of my briggs, but i cant get the bolt out even with my air ratchet. the biggest problem is trying to stop the motor from cranking when i use the ratchet....ive tried putting a pry bar in the fins of the flywheel to jam it up but it just bends the fins....any suggestions????
Throw that flywheel out. Running a damaged one is just all-out dangerous!

There are some good suggestions in the above posts. Here's another one- Remove the spark plug, and (by hand) roll the engine over until the piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. Now, roll it backwards slowly until the piston bottoms in the bore. Feed several inches of rope (1/4"-3/8") into the cylinder, and when the piston goes back up it will stop and be able to move no more. After the pulley is off, back the piston off and pull the rope out.

The "rope trick" is also very useful at other times, like when you DO get that new flywheel (HINT) and need to torque that nut to the prescribed 150lbs/ft.
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2013, 8:13 pm

What I do is if you have a belt let the clutch out and put it in gear them fo at it
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2013, 8:17 pm

Guys this was posted 9 months ago... lol
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2013, 8:24 pm

Whoops! Well, in my own defense (LMAO) I replied to a post less than an hour old. Besides- my reply may well be helpful to a future forum-searcher. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
murdereddeere

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2014, 12:36 am

Just use a 1\2inch impact gun.you should be able to zap it right out with that that's what I use all time.I never need to hold the eng from cranking over with that method..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pulley bolt wont budge..help!   pulley - pulley bolt wont budge..help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pulley bolt wont budge..help!
Page 1 of 1