All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)

Go down 
+2
W1ldyOvvnZ
Pitbull
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pitbull

Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Empty
PostSubject: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 10:14 am

I have been cleaning some cast iron pots and pans using electricity and it occurred to me this could be a helpful tool for the folks here on this form.
I ran across some videos on youtube showing the process so I thought I would share one of them here.
This is not my video or me in the video,
There are a bunch of videos out there but this one the guy was cleaning a mower part so I thought it would be a good one to share here.
One thing he does not mention is this process causes an chemical reaction that releases hydrogen gas from the metal ( you will see bubbles coming from the parts) this gas is flammable so if you do this process, do it out side away from any flames etc.
This works for steel and iron ( I am not sure it will work on aluminum )
Thanks and God Bless

Bp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

i remember seeing that video, i always wanted to try it but i dont have a bucket large enough to try it in
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 3:19 pm

One of the guys on the school bus conversion website that I am also on said that a good vessel for this is an old hot tub. A hot tub would be big enough to do almost anything for a lawnmower, and you can often find non functional hot tubs on craigslist for free.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

I'm not seeing where the guy is trying to sell anything on that vid, or in the comments Question

At any rate, electrolysis is a great way to renovate steel & cast iron parts
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 4:47 pm

You are correct the comment regarding money was regarding sand blasting.

Also, the process works pretty good except in the case of fuel tanks, which are usually so thin that removing the rust leaves a hole behind. I trashed a Vintage XL80 tank that way. Got rid of the rust but left pinholes behind..
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 5:32 pm

POR15 might be a better alternative to electrolysis on the thing stuff. I've done electrolysis a few times and if you don't already know will add a warning. Stay away from stainless steel all together. If you are trying to clean stainless, it doesn't work. If you are using something stainless as the consumable(drawing rust to it) then it produces deadly gasses. Just something to think about. I was trying to clean a buddy's knife and it was so nasty i didn't check to see what type of steel it was, just tossed it in the pot and walked away. The wash soda and water might have cleaned off a little, but that was it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)   Rust removal with electricity  ( Clean parts the easy way) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rust removal with electricity ( Clean parts the easy way)
Page 1 of 1