All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think

Go down 
+2
Doug
jaymz_eric
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Empty
PostSubject: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 8:21 pm

the spicer transaxle in my lt1000 is loosing 6th gear, all the other gears work fine but 6th gear, no matter wat speed lunges real bad like it has teeth sheared off the gears or sumtin...any any ideas wat could have happened?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 8:29 pm

I think the gear got work out either where the shift keys move in or maye a few teeth broke off. Probably gonna have to open it up.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 8:50 pm

You should open it up. I opened mine. I was told mine had been replaced with a 5 speed. Turned out to be a 4 speed. I have the old one. It looks like they are the same. The 4 speed just has the gears aranged different. Biger steps between gears. I could make mine a six speed If I want. The just put spacer bearings in place of the missing gears. The only diff. is my new one has only one leg on the shift fork not two like the other one does. I would guess it's for being a shift on the fly.
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 9:32 pm

i dont wanna get into rippin it apart agian, at least not right now, i'll just stick with my 5 gears i have left lol
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 9:38 pm

If the shifter is moving all the way and the detent ball is holding it in 6th, my money is on broken shift key(s).
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 9:41 pm

yeah it was doing some gawd awful clackin in 6th gear spinning the ag tires in the snow/ ice trying to get traction.....ever since then it was jacked up.....maybe i will take it apart you guys got me curious now lol
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 9:46 pm

I know it's a pain, but taking it back apart is a good idea. You don't want pieces of shift keys moving around in there; I've seen a case crack when a piece of shift key got into the gearset.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 3:09 pm

I was fearful of opening up the gearbox on my 99 weedeater - after it locked on me. I figured since i had a spare trans, if it was broken- then could swap it out.

I looked up 'lynolsoffice' on YT and he had how to open up a peerless trans :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucbJ3Y-q1_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Pf5UKd89U

Watching his video helped me fix my trans - the indexer shaft was all rusty - so after some polishing with sandcloth - cleaned the whole thing, greased it up and slapped it back together - still runs awsome today.

This guy has a spicer trans rebuild video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDBdtxiyK8

Take your time, work careful and clean and it should go like clockwork.
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 10:43 pm

im not afraid of whats in it, the previous owner apperently tried getting into it and stripped a bolt out and then apperently tried to either drill it out or chisel it out, worse part is its down in this little square recess ontop the trans, no room to get it with vice grips or anything
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2013, 11:01 pm

jaymz_eric wrote:
im not afraid of whats in it, the previous owner apperently tried getting into it and stripped a bolt out and then apperently tried to either drill it out or chisel it out, worse part is its down in this little square recess ontop the trans, no room to get it with vice grips or anything

\Can you cut the head off with a zip disc, and then remove the remainder after you have the case split?

Its worked for me on several occasions.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think   spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

spicer tansaxle lost 6th gear i think
Page 1 of 1