All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

what pulley sizes?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

pulley - what pulley sizes? Empty
PostSubject: what pulley sizes?   pulley - what pulley sizes? Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2013, 6:27 pm

i plan on taking my tractor off-roading, road riding, hillclimbing, mudding, and something i can just have fun on. I have a couple questions on it. 1.) What is a good speed for it? 2.) What sizes of pulleys should i use for that speed? 3.) For that speed are there any further mods that i can do to help the thing hold together longer or make it safer?
Back to top Go down
Tuffy55

PostSubject: Re: what pulley sizes?   pulley - what pulley sizes? Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2013, 7:25 pm

To make my trans axle hold up for longer i put grease nipples in a few places in between the input needle bearings and on the top of the trans axle so i can add grease more frequently, easier. Also make sure all the bolts are tightened evenly all the way around the trans axle to keep the case from cracking. I have like a 4 inch front pulley and a 5 inch rear or something close to that and it goes about 15 miles per hour.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

PostSubject: Re: what pulley sizes?   pulley - what pulley sizes? Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2013, 8:51 pm

A 1 to 1 pulley ratio is pretty popular just guesing you would git about 15mph. You may want to upgrade the brakes and steering . And X2 on the grease fittings for the trans its alot better to just pump in some grease with a grease gun then take it apart to lube it , I would recomend a rubber cap on the fitting to keep water out .
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: what pulley sizes?   pulley - what pulley sizes? Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 1:00 am

Reinforce the body first off. 1x1 square tube steel will do it.

Clean up your steering so you have less or no slop at all.

A 1:1 ratio is really what you want if you plan on offroading. Unfortunately you cant have both road speed and offroad traction with a belt setup.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what pulley sizes?   pulley - what pulley sizes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what pulley sizes?
Page 1 of 1