All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?

Go down 
+7
TheRainbowBoxer
Tractor Man Jeff
CornishMorgan
Doug
dangeroustoys56
theswampmachine
jaymz_eric
11 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Empty
PostSubject: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 1:26 pm

just wondering, is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? besides bypassing the govenor and potentially blowing it up is there any advantages or disadvantages or would it just not work at all?
Back to top Go down
theswampmachine

Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 2:02 pm

That's how I have mine set up I bypassed the govoner as long as you don't hold it wide open you ill not blow the motor up it just isn't great for have it full power without the govoner.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 2:17 pm

Or this happens:
Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Flyw0510
Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Flyw0310

You can make enough power hooking a foot throttle to a governed engine - if not - then get a bigger motor only way a motor should be run w/o a governer is with proper building and billet flywheel .

Or risk having serious injuries for the rest of your life when it blows up.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 2:49 pm

Like DT says, I wouldnt and dont suggest bypassing a Governor unless you drop some serious cash on performance replacement parts. Cast iron is hard and you dont want it flying out at you.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 6:56 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Or this happens:
Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Flyw0510
Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Flyw0310

You can make enough power hooking a foot throttle to a governed engine - if not - then get a bigger motor only way a motor should be run w/o a governer is with proper building and billet flywheel .

Or risk having serious injuries for the rest of your life when it blows up.

Doug Fackler wrote:
Like DT says, I wouldnt and dont suggest bypassing a Governor unless you drop some serious cash on performance replacement parts. Cast iron is hard and you dont want it flying out at you.

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 26th 2013, 9:39 pm

Boy, this thread popped up just in time. My throttle linkage just snapped, so I'll be looking at the direct route, as well as my steering. Very Happy I have a couple ideas on how it could be done.
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 10:47 am

I'll stick with what i got and just make a simple foot pedal hooked up the right way lol
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 1:33 pm

I wouldn't want anyone to take any chances on my word, so all the "don't try this at home because I said so" stuff applies.

Now, that said... As I've stated before, I seriously doubt there is much of a risk in grenading your flywheel by JUST bypassing the governor. These flywheels have to be tested for liability purposes far beyond what the engine could do without the governor. If a governor fails and the flywheel explodes, B&S would have a huge lawsuit problem. Unless an engine is modified with stiffer valve springs, the valve float alone should keep the RPMs from reaching speeds necessary to cause catastrophic failure. If your flywheel is damaged, cracked, etc, there is a possibility it could go, but 3800 RPMs is still pretty dangerous if it comes to that. If you are running any of - Stiffer valve springs, balanced assemblies, alcohol, forced induction (turbo/super), etc. etc. etc. then, yes, by all means get a billet flywheel. For myself, ungoverned stock is the way I run and will continue running.

I will happily change my point of view if I can find just one instance of an unmodified (other than governor) engine's flywheel going bang.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 2:02 pm

I'm with TheRainbowBoxer
I've seen plenty of stock engines come apart... the flywheel is not the weak link.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 8:08 pm

Those pics were from a highly modifed pulling lawntractor - the guy revved it to over 4000rpm when it shattered - the only thing not upgraded was the flywheel - it took a chunk from the guys leg and stuck into a steel beam in a barn a few hundred feet away .

Flywheels are cast iron - they arent the strongest of materials - the constant high RPM's could cause it to fly apart.

Im just saying the hood and flywheel shroud wont stop the flywheel pieces - thats why racers have to reinforce with steel plate the flywheel shroud.

I agree with internals comming apart before grenading a flywheel, i have a 11HP briggs the PO either over revved or ran low on oil and blew the internal balancer weights right out the back - folded it over clean as can be:
Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Grenad10

Bet that scared the bejeebus out of 'em when that broke.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 9:13 pm

Ive heard of counterweights falling off. Wouldnt want that hitting me either.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 9:34 pm

The bearings in the counter weights can come apart at normal operating speeds. When over-revved, the "dog bone" is usually the first thing to let loose.
dangeroustoys56's last pic is a perfect example of that happening; It (along with the counter weights) usually blow out the lower end of the crankcase.
If the counter balancer actually stays together, the rod is generally the next culprit. However it usually punches a hole in the side of the block.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 10:02 am

I would love to see a video of someone spinning a flywheel up to the grenade point in a controlled environment ala myth busters.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 1:55 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
I would love to see a video of someone spinning a flywheel up to the grenade point in a controlled environment ala myth busters.

Shhhh... You're giving me ideas.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:05 pm

Good reply Dan(rainbow).

I am with him on this subject. We run all stock engines, no governor, no problems. The engines seem to last for years. 11hp briggs we tried to blow up, held it full throttle in low gear. After 45 min at full throttle, no governor, it quit when all the oil got blown out. It was a smoker before that.
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 11:11 pm

I must have really good luck, because i have 3 lawn mowers with no govorner and never had a problem with any of them. I have a 22hp kholer v-twin, 17hp briggs intek, and a 16.5 kholer horizontal shaft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?   Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to do away with the linkage setup on the side of a briggs and run your throttle cable directly to your carb?
Page 1 of 1