All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

transaxle stuck in third gear

Go down 
+2
avrappy
davidgt6000
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
davidgt6000

transaxle stuck in third gear Empty
PostSubject: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 6:35 pm

thinking about buying another craftsman but guy says its stuck in third gear, have not looked at it yet, supposed to in the morning, anyone think this is a easy fix or what?
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 6:49 pm

Sounds like the shift fork is stuck. Pull it out open it up. Easy Just take your time.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 7:51 pm

What kind of craftsman is it? An LT or GT? LT transmissions are easy to open and put back together, however the GT's have a trans loaded with gears- its easy to take apart, not so putting back together.

I have a 99 weedeater ( craftsman chassis) with a 5 speed peerless - mine had the same issue, it had shifting issues and locked in 3rd gear - i cracked open the case and found rust galore on the indexer shaft ( where shift forks are) and half a case of water - i used plumbers sandcloth to polish the pieces that were rusty , greased everything back up and put it back together .

Only thing to watch for is the tiny little detent ball - theres a plug on top of the case to drop it back in after reassembly.

Use a heavy duty grease when reassembling and clean out all the old grease for best results.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2013, 7:56 pm

not sure if its a lt or gt. have not seen it yet and he didnt say. just said motor ran great and trans was stuck in 3rd, but for $50 guess i shouldnt complain, going to look at it monday. hoping its a briggs twin. dont even know about it either.lol
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 1:35 pm

well got it home, trying to get pics on here.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 2:48 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Use a heavy duty grease when reassembling and clean out all the old grease for best results.

Indeed, try to get as much of the old grease out as possible. I may have gone over the top when regreasing mine but it runs really nice so I don't care Very Happy transaxle stuck in third gear DSC002081
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 4:42 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear Crafty11 the transaxle will only move from 3 to 4th and back to third, this after spraying it with pb blaster.

Last edited by davidgt6000 on January 28th 2013, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:21 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear Crafty20
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:22 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear Crafty21
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:24 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear Crafty22
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 5:25 pm

transaxle stuck in third gear Crafty24 sears has this as having a dana transaxle. i think i can put a spicer out of my old murray in it and shifter will work.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 6:27 pm

Chassis looks just like my weedeater tractor - till MTD took over making newer craftsmans , most the old older LT's are nearly all the same chassis/transmissions - even have a poulan thats the same as the weedeater.

Id still crack it open anyway , that was my thinking back then - it didnt work, so even if i broke or screwed it up, what did it matter? I still have a couple spare transmissions around anyway.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 6:28 pm

davidgt6000 wrote:
the transaxle will only move from 3 to 4th and back to third, this after spraying it with pb blaster.

What part did you spray with pb blaster?

you can post more than one image in a single post, just put the [img] tags on a new line.
[img] 1
[img] 2
ect
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 7:31 pm

CornishMorgan wrote:
davidgt6000 wrote:
the transaxle will only move from 3 to 4th and back to third, this after spraying it with pb blaster.

What part did you spray with pb blaster?

you can post more than one image in a single post, just put the [img] tags on a new line.

[img] 1
[img] 2
ect

i just sprayed around bottom of the shifting rod. but theres something wrong with it for sure, clamped vice grips on to it and cant move it any further either way. thanks for info on pics, i thought i should be able to put all in one post.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 7:35 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Chassis looks just like my weedeater tractor - till MTD took over making newer craftsmans , most the old older LT's are nearly all the same chassis/transmissions - even have a poulan thats the same as the weedeater.

Id still crack it open anyway , that was my thinking back then - it didnt work, so even if i broke or screwed it up, what did it matter? I still have a couple spare transmissions around anyway.

yeah im going to open it up, got it ready to drop now.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 28th 2013, 10:29 pm

Yeah that's going to be your best option i think.

Just remember to open it slowly and carefully and find and keep safe the little ball and its spring for the shifter.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 10:44 am

about the same that happened to mine. someone told me that a bolt(?) is bent and preventing it to move
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 12:00 pm

dropped transaxle out this morning, opened it up to find some nasty cankered grease,some water,rust,etc. but the only problem was and still is the shifting lever, have sprayed it with pb and its loosened up some. everything else is moving good inside. here is some pics of the mess. and by the way, sears called this as having a dana, but this one i took out is a foote which leads me to think someone changed it .transaxle stuck in third gear Axle10
transaxle stuck in third gear Axle110
transaxle stuck in third gear Axle310
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 2:13 pm

that looks nasty, no wonder it wasn't shifting properly. Give in a clean with some petrol, a paint brush and lots of old rags and it should be as good as new, providing nothing is broken.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2013, 10:30 am

i took the rearend out of this craftsman ll and put it in. had to change mounting brackets though, but its mobile now.transaxle stuck in third gear Crafts15
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 6:12 am

Thats what i saw in a MTD transaxle i took apart the other day - all nasty looking grease - my plan was to swap some internal parts with another ( for the brakes) - oddly they wernt the same- one had bigger pieces inside then the other .

The one i wanted to fix had better tires the the donor ( its a b*tch to pull MTD rims off) was hoping to swap the brake setup over - but they were nothing alike - i need to go thru and check my other spare MTD transaxles anyway - ive been thinking of redoing a couple good ones for spares ( and putting zerks in ) and taking the rest apart for spare pieces.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:18 pm

davidgt6000 wrote:
i took the rearend out of this craftsman ll and put it in. had to change mounting brackets though, but its mobile now.transaxle stuck in third gear Crafts15

Looks like the Craftsman I donated to my friend. We swapped a 18.5 Briggs Intek V into it though. Nice machine, we pulley swapped to a 5" rear I believe. had to redo the linkages for the shifter though so it only goes into 3rd so we gotta redo it, but she flies in 3rd. We were popping wheelies with it with the massive 18.5 in it too.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:25 pm

this one has 14 opposed twin in it, needs some card work.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 4:36 pm

davidgt6000 wrote:
this one has 14 opposed twin in it, needs some card work.

Guess they were a bit different then, mine had a 14hp Briggs Vanguard V in it before we swapped it.

Now that I look at the pic more I see the gas filler cap is on the outside. Mine was under the seat.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 5:06 pm

My fuel tank is mounted to the bonnet with the cap on the outside. I'm not that keen on it being there, Ill move it at some point.

Last edited by CornishMorgan on February 2nd 2013, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: transaxle stuck in third gear   transaxle stuck in third gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

transaxle stuck in third gear
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next