All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hard Clutch Engagement Problem

Go down 
+4
Chopperhed
RCG
AcreFarm
Junkstarbuilds
8 posters
AuthorMessage
W546

Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hard Clutch Engagement Problem   Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:20 am

Ok... I checked last night and the belt I got on ebay was sold as a 1/2", but it is actually a 5/8" It actually appears to be decent quality and isn't just one of those cheap "rubber" ones. I am thinking that a combination of additional pulley surface area combined with the larger 5/8" belt just has too much grip. Unfortunately, I don't have a tractor supply near me so I'm kind of stuck with ordering online or going to a big box store. I'm not sure what to do because if I order one online I risk getting the wrong belt again, but they don't sell the belts by length at a big box store. I wonder if an auto parts store would have belts sold by length other than those rubber ones... I'll check around.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hard Clutch Engagement Problem   Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 10:03 am

W546 wrote:
Ok... I checked last night and the belt I got on ebay was sold as a 1/2", but it is actually a 5/8" It actually appears to be decent quality and isn't just one of those cheap "rubber" ones. I am thinking that a combination of additional pulley surface area combined with the larger 5/8" belt just has too much grip. Unfortunately, I don't have a tractor supply near me so I'm kind of stuck with ordering online or going to a big box store. I'm not sure what to do because if I order one online I risk getting the wrong belt again, but they don't sell the belts by length at a big box store. I wonder if an auto parts store would have belts sold by length other than those rubber ones... I'll check around.
Yea, I really think the 5/8" is your problem then. I've got a 5/8" before and it just didnt act the same (for the worse) try amazon. I'm quite surprised you got the wrong belt. I wouldn't really think it would happen again.

Edit: I remember that 5/8 belts are longer then 1/2". Like, a 78" belt can actually be 81", or something. It's like a 2"-3" difference between them because the 5/8" belt seats farther out in the pulleys, making it longer.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Hard Clutch Engagement Problem   Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 10:13 am

i know Northern tool sells blue kevlar belts, Pix brand too. very cheaply priced as well. auto parts stores should have lawn and garden belts as well
Back to top Go down
W546

PostSubject: Re: Hard Clutch Engagement Problem   Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 9:56 am

Ok... so I got it all sorted out and it's running like it should now. I bought a 1/2" belt, but it was about 2" too long due to it being 1/2" and not 5/8". (I didn't see the post about the differences in lengths until after I placed my order online) So I order another 1/2" belt (2" shorter this time) and put it on. Viola! Now the mower runs like a dream. No more mandatory wheelies and I'm sleeping better at night now that my neck isn't being jerked back every time I try to start off.

I was concerned that I would get excessive belt slippage when pulling hard, but the belt doesn't seem to slip at all once fully engaged. At one point this weekend I even loaded up a small utility trailer three deep with 16" blocks to move them up a pretty steep hill and it didn't miss a beat. (I'm absolutely amazed at the pulling power of these mowers even when pulley swapped!)  Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys. Hopefully someone down the road will read this and avoid some of my headaches...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard Clutch Engagement Problem   Hard Clutch Engagement Problem - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard Clutch Engagement Problem
Page 1 of 1