All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

HONDA H3011 no spark issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Plazydays

honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Empty
PostSubject: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 12:43 pm

Hi all, I have a honda H3011 and was wondering if anyone might be able to help. I can get it to turn over but I have no spark at the plug. I have changed the plug and carried out checks and it appears to be a fault with the relays, for which there are 10 in a sealed unit. Most of the relays have something to do with the safety devices fitted and on checking the internet, appears to be a common problem.
So my thought was start again and rewire the whole thing and do a basic wiring job. Trouble is I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have a basic wiring diagram I could use just to see if i can get the thing to run. Once I know its a runner i can start working on putting the devices back in.

Just so you do not think i am an insane english man with a ride on lawnmower, I also have a MTD lawnflite which I am currently just finishing to start racing on. The other is a project I want to do for my son to come with me.

Love the site by the way.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 12:53 pm

Most lawnmower engines use a kill wire on the coil. On the majority of engines, if this wire gets grounded out, the spark stops. Some engines the coil actually has to be energized to spark, so you would need to do a little research on your specific engine. You can try tracing the spark plug wire back to the coil and identifying the kill/ignition wire from there. Once you know what the wire "expects", you can wire up a switch to bypass whatever the mower originally had in place.

Hope that helps.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Plazydays

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 2:18 pm

[quote="TheRainbowBoxer"]Most lawnmower engines use a kill wire on the coil. On the majority of engines, if this wire gets grounded out, the spark stops. Some engines the coil actually has to be energized to spark, so you would need to do a little research on your specific engine. You can try tracing the spark plug wire back to the coil and identifying the kill/ignition wire from there. Once you know what the wire "expects", you can wire up a switch to bypass whatever the mower originally had in place.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 2:36 pm

I took a look at a wiring diagram for it

There should be a black and red wire coming out of the engine going to the ignition switch. If you disconnect it you should be able to get a spark. Disconnect it at the engine or you will have to disconnect it at the key and at the relay box.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31763800.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Plazydays

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 2:47 pm

Chopperhed wrote:

There should be a black and red wire coming out of the engine going to the ignition switch. If you disconnect it you should be able to get a spark. Disconnect it at the engine or you will have to disconnect it at the key and at the relay box.

#

Hi and thanks. I have tried that before and have just gave it another go, diconnecting it at the connector off the coil but still no spark. I read on quite a few forums that the combination relay is a general fault with these and at a cost of £180 to replace my view is that I should just rip out the wiring and do away with it.
I think I am going to try to folow the Briggs basic wiring diagram posted in here and see how it goes lol.
If anyone has an idea based on the current wiring the best way to do it I would appreciate the input. There must be a real easy way to do this?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 3:43 pm

Probably a stupid question as I skimmed the thread but have you seen FearlessFronts re-wiring tutorial on YouTube? He tells you exactly how to get around all the safety switches and it cleans up your wiring too.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 4:13 pm

Plazydays wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:

#

Hi and thanks. I have tried that before and have just gave it another go, diconnecting it at the connector off the coil but still no spark. I read on quite a few forums that the combination relay is a general fault with these and at a cost of £180 to replace my view is that I should just rip out the wiring and do away with it.
I think I am going to try to folow the Briggs basic wiring diagram posted in here and see how it goes lol.
If anyone has an idea based on the current wiring the best way to do it I would appreciate the input. There must be a real easy way to do this?

Try unplugging everything at e combination relay, That should disable all safeties, and still allow ignition to work.

Have you tried a new plug? Spark plugs have been known to break internally. also, spark plug wires can go bad too.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Plazydays

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 5:27 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Plazydays wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:

#

Try unplugging everything at e combination relay, That should disable all safeties, and still allow ignition to work.

Have you tried a new plug? Spark plugs have been known to break internally. also, spark plug wires can go bad too.

I will give that a go but i think I will have to work out how to start it as it cuts out the starter if its disconnected. I will try first thing in the morning. Thanks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 10:10 pm

You should just be able to unhook the mag kill wire and it should have spark.

Usually when i drag a tractor home, ill unhook everything from the motor and try jumping it from the starter motor, then if it does run, ill go thru the wiring later.

Another thing you may want to try is to clean and re gap the magneto - I have a 5HP honda horizontal shaft motor that sat for years outside from the PO - i greased up the pull start setup, then cleaned the flywheel pickup and magneto pick up ends , set the gap ( i use a piece of carbord from an oil filter box) - i loosely set the mag on its posts, i put the carbord between the mag ends and flywheel, spin the flywheel till the magneto 'snaps' tight to the flywheel and tighten the magneto down, then remove the spacer.

Corrosion on there will affect the spark as well.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HONDA H3011 no spark issue   honda - HONDA H3011 no spark issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HONDA H3011 no spark issue
Page 1 of 1