All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!

Go down 
+29
crazykid1994
k2500life
numbnutz
muddstir
Ddwannabe
mudmonkey06
redlinemotorsportts
Kel
WellThatsSurprising
SkiLLz
redneck999
genegillis5
xxXMowerdudeXxx
dylansrockinrigs
Chopperhed
gearheadmike
Thunderdivine
Murray modder
richie thomas
TheRainbowBoxer
Tractor Man Jeff
matthew sidor
truckin42
avrappy
Stretch44875
THE MTD GUY
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
fireman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
fireman

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2013, 9:47 pm

My shaft couplers showed up today while I was at work. Got home at 7:30pm, had some dinner, then went down to the shop to see what I can get done. I welded three of the shaft couplers together and slid them onto the existing axle shaft with keystock and set screws. Slid on the adapter plates and tube and bolted on the rim and tire. All the work of measuring worked out great. The tires are inline with the fronts. Now I just need to finish welding the first hub together and then weld the second one together. That will be tomorrow afternoon. I hope to go for a ride right after that!

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0147_zps69d5198c

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0146_zpsb35e21b8

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0145_zps32c04683
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 26th 2013, 11:01 pm

Lookin good Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2013, 8:50 pm

Was out all day so didn't get started to till 7:00pm. Got one hub assembled and welded together. Going to finish the other tomorrow and take it out for a ride. Stay tuned for pictures and video once I get her out of the shop!
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2013, 8:51 pm

Lookin forward to it!
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Took her out for her maiden voyage!!! (PIC HEAVY)   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 3:08 pm

I ate breakfast this morning then went down to the shop and went gang busters at it. Got the rear hubs all welded up and mounted to the existing axles. Mounted the rear tires and rolled it off the lift. I had to grease the front bearings as they were new and I had put them on during fabrication for fit. Got those done and remounted then outside she went. The battery was weak from sitting all winter so I had to start it with the jump pack. She fired right up and runs great. It drives perfect and the shifter works good. The steering is surprisingly very easy. I am thrilled at the way it came out. Now to paint the metal I added, the rear-end and touch up anything else that needs it. Can't wait to bring it to the next tractor show!!!

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0148_zps10bb0cdc

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0149_zpsac3d149b

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0150_zps8c298970

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0151_zps8b939b1a

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0152_zps8eeab126

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0153_zps9fe55d2d

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0154_zpsde43dc30

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0155_zps4e64df0e
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 3:10 pm

Nice looks great got any vids?
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 3:16 pm

Now bring it out to Haspin so we can REALLY test it! Laughing Just kidding, nice work.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 4:50 pm

That thing looks great! Where you gonna paint it Fire red also or was that someone else?
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Here is the video!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 5:48 pm

Not me that was going to paint it red. I wanted to keep this on a low budget with minimum amount of painting or body work.

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 6:33 pm

Awesome indeed.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 7:39 pm

No one around here that I know of lifts tractors. Many customize them and lower them. I'm from the old school of lifted trucks. In my teen years I built an 1982 Chevy Blazer with 2.5" of suspension and 2" body lift running 35" tires. Nothing crazy but made it look real good. This was like a trip down memory lane for me. Now lets see if I can leave well enough alone.

Last edited by fireman on July 28th 2013, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 8:18 pm

me likes Smile
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 28th 2013, 9:50 pm

fireman wrote:
No one around here that I know of lifts tractors. Many customize them and lower them. I'm from the old school of lifted trucks. In my teen years I built an 1982 Chevy Blazer with 2.5" of suspension and 2" body lift running 35" tires. Nothing crazy but made it look real good. This was like a trip down memory lane for me. Now lets see if I can leave well enough alone.
Nice vid and same here, GO LIFTED OR GO HOME!
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2013, 12:04 pm

Went over to my friends house to paint the undercarriage. I ended up painting the transmission silver. I don't really like it and plan on changing it to something else. Everything else ended up black. Here's a picture after I finished.

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 LiftedCraftsman2_zpsa6e1f218
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2013, 12:06 pm

Seeing as I have that extra pulley hanging down there I thought about running a 12 volt alternator or something off of it. Maybe fab up an old school roll bar with big lights on it! Who knows!
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2013, 6:48 pm

that would be awesome. what size is your engine tho because you dont want to bog it down and lose to much power running an alternator
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2013, 8:11 pm

It's 14hp. The tractor is really for show/parades only so don't need crazy power for mud bogging etc.
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2013, 1:05 pm

Just and update. I didn't want to just trust the single set screw against the keystock to hold the hubs and tires onto the axle. So I drilled out one on the set screw holes in the hub that was located closer to the inner end of the axle. Then used a transfer punch to make a mark on the axle shaft. Removed the hub and drilled and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt. Now the hub is firmly bolted to the axle along with the original set screw and key stock.

Here are two more pictures of the finished project. The second one has me in it so you can see a size comparison. Don't know if this is a far as I am going to take it. I may opt for a paint job and maybe some type of roll bar so I can put some lights on top!

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0191_zps287abbb3

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0192_zps9da033b3
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2013, 4:15 pm

You dont need paint. Just say thats.how you got it from the factory lol.

Looks great fireman.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
matt-man
matt-man

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2013, 5:53 pm

I like the build keep us posted
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 8:26 pm

Not really an update but I took the tractor to it's first show at the end of September and it was a huge hit. Most people around here had never seen anything like it before. I barely had time to sneak away and roam around the show because of all the interest and questions. I actually turned down an offer to buy it for a $700 from a guy who's kid really wanted it. I decided not to paint it and leave a stock theme to it.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 9:19 pm

That is indeed a nice clean build. Been meaning to ask- what's the rubber bungee in the rearend for? In pic below-

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0191_zps287abbb3
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 11:58 pm

i belive its holding the brake where it wont always be braking doc, he might have lost the spring
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 12:47 am

That's a beautiful build right there
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2013, 9:01 am

Yeah the rubber bungee is holding the brake lever back. I haven't found the right spring yet or should I say I ran out of time before other projects called! I have to weld a nut on to the square tubing for the lift so I can attach the spring when I get it. I guess I got all winter to get that done!
Back to top Go down
fireman

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2014, 8:55 pm

Just a quick update and say hi. Haven't done much at all with my tractors this winter. I did manage to get rid of the bungee cord and replace it with a spring. Have a few ideas on some changes but I may just leave well enough alone. Still have to make a support for the upper part of my shifter extension so it won't flex as much. I may work on that this week.

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0354_zps974ce169

project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 DSCN0355_zps0146688c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!   project - Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been lurking awhile, first post with new project. Lifted Craftsman!
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next