All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build

Go down 
+3
Chunk
indianaboy93
Webmaster
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Empty
PostSubject: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 7:46 pm

So I'm building a little something for me and my friends to ride around, as well as the kiddos when they get older. I already have a 43cc 2-stroke engine with the clutch and sprocket already setup on it. It's coming off an old project I never showed anyone.

(Don't mind the dog licking it's ass in the background)
Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2923

It's a bmx bike with the 2-stroke... It was pretty fun! it topped out at around 30-35 mph. And still had lots of torque. But some people were scared of it for some reason.. Evil or Very Mad So I will be building a mini go-cart with the engine. It just has to be really lightweight. I think I already have most of the parts to build it, I will need to buy an axle and bearings for the rear.

Here are some pics.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2920

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2921

The frame is 32" long and 13.5" wide. I used an old four legged stool as the seat frame. Very light and rigid so far!

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2924

^This is where the engine will go. It's still subject to change though.^

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2922

And those are the steering parts that I have. It's a mix of murray and mtd mowerdeck parts, and craftsman steering parts. I started to build the steering, but I ran out of wire for the welder... Rolling Eyes Gotta go buy more sometime tomorrow.

Ideas welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2010, 9:46 pm

this is gonna be awesome. kinda like a barstool racer. nice custom steering wheel you made from the craftsmans wheel
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2010, 7:59 pm

Yeah, kinda like that... This one will be a little more on the "getto" side lol! I'm trying to take my time with it and think about things before i go and weld stuff on.

Anyway, Got some of this today!

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2928

So started to mess with the steering column a bit. It's held in by the c-clip from the craftsman steering system, it keeps it from falling out the bottom.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2929

Added some more support up towards the top. I'm still going to add a little more, but it's alot tougher then I thought it would be already.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2932

So thats all I got done today. Only got about an hour and a half out there today. I really like working on this thing. Here's one last pic of it without all the crap and clutter around it. (Except my sweet new hippopotamus dump truck)

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2933

More soon I hope!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 7:58 am

That Hippo dumptruck looks sweet! How does it perform in the mud? lol!

Its coming on nicely. Starting to look like something already! This is making me want to get back onto build my racing mower-kart ... thing. What wheels are you using on it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 8:26 am

Dang! That thing is cool! Almost does look like a barstool racer. I like the use of the deck hangars for the steering- makes it adjustable as well - the steering wheel chopped down also looks wicked - never thought of that . Maybe a lil sprocket change and itll go faster?

Itd be cool to make a bike like that - weird that people were afraid of it.

Look for some pillow blocks - ive used em and they work great - northern tools has em- theyre not to expensive either- they also have axles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 9:13 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Dang! That thing is cool! Almost does look like a barstool racer. I like the use of the deck hangars for the steering- makes it adjustable as well - the steering wheel chopped down also looks wicked - never thought of that . Maybe a lil sprocket change and itll go faster?

Itd be cool to make a bike like that - weird that people were afraid of it.

Look for some pillow blocks - ive used em and they work great - northern tools has em- theyre not to expensive either- they also have axles.

I will be needing the pillow blocks for a future project! Twisted Evil
I guess i check out Northern tool for them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 9:15 pm

Awesome, i'll probably be doing the same thing to my craftsman steering wheel.
WHy not put a briggs 5hp or honda clone on that?
Looks like it's going to handle great.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2010, 10:24 pm

No Idea on what wheels Im gonna use, I may have to buy those, pillow blocks and an axle. Gonna wait till I need them though.

What size axle should I put on there? 5/8"?

roboman: if I had a bigger motor, Id be using it! Very Happy I'm gonna make this as light and small as possable. Like I said before, the bike used to go like 30 mph, I'm thinking of making it top out around 20mph so you can rip wheelies! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 6:00 am

Roboman79: Yeah i first used em on my 70 toro when the original axle bushings were totally shot - i bot another couple pairs for my upcomming mods. They have a few different kinds of em - actually arent too bad costwise :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pillow+blocks&Nty=1&D=pillow+blocks&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Obviously the larger the axle- more theyd be- actually theyre designed for industrial use - like giant blower motors and conveyers and stuff - so theyre definitly built for high speed use. Plus theyre greasable.

Fearlessfront: Id say 1" and up is good- specially for if you plan on tearing things up with it. You can always upgrade the motor later - thats the easy bit.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 7:27 am

man i didn't even know you were doing somthing like this, but ive been slightly busy, but that thing looks cool, i would probably build somthing like that for the weedeater engines i have laying around, or chainsaw engines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2010, 10:04 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Roboman79: Yeah i first used em on my 70 toro when the original axle bushings were totally shot - i bot another couple pairs for my upcomming mods. They have a few different kinds of em - actually arent too bad costwise :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pillow+blocks&Nty=1&D=pillow+blocks&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Obviously the larger the axle- more theyd be- actually theyre designed for industrial use - like giant blower motors and conveyers and stuff - so theyre definitly built for high speed use. Plus theyre greasable.

Fearlessfront: Id say 1" and up is good- specially for if you plan on tearing things up with it. You can always upgrade the motor later - thats the easy bit.

Awesome the 1" only cost $9 bucks, i might just buy a few to have on hand! afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2010, 4:37 pm

cant you use the front tyres off of a lawn tractor? hmm maybe there heavy?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2010, 8:57 am

bigbleuboy wrote:
cant you use the front tyres off of a lawn tractor? hmm maybe there heavy?

Thats kinda what I was thinking, I have lots of old craftsman front tires laying around...

dangeroustoys56: Those things are damn cheap! Thanks for the heads up!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2010, 9:54 am

No problem- i noticed them at one job i once had- the place had these giant blowers for a glass oven - it didnt occour to me to use em until i had an issue with the toro axle. I bot like 3 sets of different kinds for the upcomming projects.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2010, 5:32 pm

Ok, lots to show you guys!

I worked on this thing all day because I had the day off from work... Made alot of progress too! Almost all day was spent on the steering.

First off, I used a set of craftsman spindles in the front, just because it was easier then trying to make my own.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2941

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2942

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2943

Dont, worry, they'll get more support in the future. Wink

Here's the steering hooked up. It's not like I had originally planned, but it works very well!

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2953

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2954

I didn't like the steering wheel I had made, mainly because I wanted to use a twist throttle and hand brakes. I couldn't imadgine trying to use my feet on this little thing! Shocked

So, I started building one from scratch.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2955

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2956

With twist throttle on there.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2958

Then, decided I didn't like how the seat was setting up either.... So I chopped it off! lol!

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2959

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2960

Here's the new seat.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2961

A better look at it.

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2963

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build 100_2962

It was a loooong day out there!
Tell me what you think! alien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 28th 2010, 6:11 pm

Dang man that thing is looking awesome, i love the handle bars you made.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2010, 10:49 am

Schweet! Nice work. Sitting a lil lower would make it more stable anyway, but no room for a big v twin! LOL. How easy is the throttle to use? Looks like it might be difficult to use it. If the bars were splayed out a tad more- might be easier?

Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2010, 6:18 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Schweet! Nice work. Sitting a lil lower would make it more stable anyway, but no room for a big v twin! LOL. How easy is the throttle to use? Looks like it might be difficult to use it. If the bars were splayed out a tad more- might be easier?

Thanks guys!

I thought about that, I wanted to keep it compact. I may have to change it depending on how it handles. I tried them just sitting on it, and it seemed like everything was in the right place. Only time will tell.... I have a habit of changing things alot... Rolling Eyes Thats probably why I cant get any projects done!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 29th 2010, 7:19 pm

Well- way i look at it is if its done, then some mods to make it better are done- then its not a waste of time - specially if it breaks - then you have the reason to make it better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2010, 6:55 am

that
looks
AWSOME!!!!!you should make a video of the making or the finished thing!
Back to top Go down
Salt-Man

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2010, 6:34 pm

OK I got to lookin at what ya got goin here, can I make a suggestion, make a body for it from a radio flyer kids red wagon

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Wagon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2010, 6:41 pm

that looks cool dude! where do you get that (or the body)?
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2010, 6:56 pm

Damn! That wagon looks so cool. Beats my idea of making a racer from a push mower! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2010, 8:44 pm

That would be a neat project- ive seen quite a few variations- one had hydraulics and was like sitting on the ground - some monster ones with atv tires - cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitimeJuly 11th 2010, 7:45 am

that wagon is too cool! It even has little shocks! It looks like it was expensive to build though. I'll do something to make it look nicer when it's all done. I'm gonna try and work on it today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini 2-stroke go-cart build   Mini 2-stroke go-cart build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mini 2-stroke go-cart build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next