All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheEquineFencer

rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:33 pm

I'm going to try a set of rear axles from an S-10 truck. I'll take the axle flange end and cut if off about 2-3 inches fron the axle flange where the OEM wheel bearing rides. I'll then chuck it in my lathe on the smooth OEM axle bearing surface so it's turning true to center. I'll then drill from the wheel side all the way throughthe axle with a 15/16 bit and go back through with a 1 inch bit for a finished 1 inch bore. I'll then run it over to a loacal machine shop for them to broach a 1/4 inch keyway for $20 each into the 1 inch hole. Then I'll be able to use a 1 inch axle and mount 5 lug car tires on the rear. I'm guessing I could also do them with 5/8 or 3/4 holes too. They should be pretty Heavy duty.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 6:37 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
Yeah its worth a try.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 6:45 pm

That will be stronger than any thing on a stock newer tractor. The old 60 and 70s models used that exact approach.

They would be tough as nails.

Any scrap yard truck axle, ford chev dodge whatever fits your rims
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 6:56 pm

Just as soon as I finish the front fenders I'm building for this one and get it painted, I'm going to give it a shot.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 7:18 pm

Sounds good.
Keep us updated when you do this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?   rear - Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idea for rear 5 lug hubs, what do you think?
Page 1 of 1