All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 10/7/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
ATTENTION!! - The 2017 ATLTF Build-Off ends in two months! Click Here to view qualification rules, and Click Here to view entry instructions!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bandit1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 am

I have an old mtd FNR transaxle laying around and I would like to use it on a project but i do not want to have it only go 5 mph. And i dont have the variable pully that normaly ran it. So i need some ideas to help me get started.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 am

Not a whole lot you can do with a single speed... maybe create a go kart with one of those centrifugal clutches. You could then have reverse on a kart with a sort of CVT setup.

Or turn it sideways, stick it in the ground and make a wind powered rotating birdbath or something LOL

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2016 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2016 Media thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2017!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
greener179
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 pm

If you make your own clutch and pulley swap they will go faster i had mine up to about 25mph
Back to top Go down
Bandit1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes.. But my problem is that I only have one speed which would cause my mower to not have enough power to pull it up to higher speeds. So i think I need at least 2 speeds because i am trying to get just a little bit above factory speed.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Two options.

Use CVT (snowmobile clutch) gives you snowmobile like performonce.

Rev it an go.

Centrifugal clutch,

No variation,
Slips till it hooks up.

Go kart style, rev it and go

Or, think out of the box.

Think a jack shaft set up with stepped pulley on both shafts. But a belt on each pulley,

Have a multi lever clutch setup to engage each belt individually. Separate gear ratios with a FNR trans.

Or better yet, set up a shifter slotted in two directions to engage the correct clutch at the right time.

Or even betterm
Use it as a transfer case between two transaxles ona 4wd experiment
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Bandit1
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I am going to do the multi pully setup on my murray that I use for mudding now. But Im only going to use 2 sets of pullys because it already has a 5 speed in it and I just want it so that I can have 5 road gears and 5 offroad gears.

Im thinking about using it as a low speed high torque experiment with rebar wheels for better traction. Then bolt a little old tire tread to the rebar so its not gonna make so much noise when driving.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Dual range is sweet

I have a milling machine at work. it gets 27 speeds from 3 stepped pulleys, and the only pulley that moves is the center one. An enterprising young genius could figure out a clutching system for that.
o
With 27 separate ratios,

you can make a 10hp Kohler pull a freight train. or nearly so.

Last edited by Chopperhed on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I stand corrected. On further reflection,

The center stepped pulley acts as an idler. I change speeds by slacking of 2 bolts on the motor mount to slack of the belts

with a FNR trans, would give you 27 speed forward and reverse.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 am

Im building a MTD it still has the double pulley on there, i just wielded that and put a clutch up front.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle   

Back to top Go down

Need ideas on how to get higher speeds out of a FNR transaxle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1