All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
243generallee
243generallee

opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Empty
PostSubject: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 3:59 pm

im working at a milling shop now and i am using the mill and would like to shave the head on my racing lawnmower motor im not sure how many thousandths i should take off so i dont blow a head gasket or break the heads of the head bolts off can someone tell me whats the best amount to take off?
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 10:01 pm

U would have to really look into that cause of how far the head bolts go down. Will have smaller combustion chamber if u shave it down. I really wouldn't know about that.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 10:02 pm

Also thing about if u shaved it down it could bust the head cause of pressure.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 10:46 pm

Start at .005" and see what happens, measure the depth of your stud holes to make sure you can get proper clamp.

On OHV engines if you take too much you may have to mill the pistons to allow for valve clearance.

On Flatheads, the problem is similar and different at the same time. you need to open up the area above the valve to allow for flow and valve clearance.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 10:51 pm

And this would be the time to start looking at Higher octane fuels.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 1:53 pm

Don't bother, to risky if you ask me. You can always shim it after you take to much off tho but still.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: as opposed to shaving the head   opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 12:47 am

One could also use a small die grinder (dremel etc) to put the 'fire slot' into the heads of the briggs flatties. I use that trick rather than shave heads. Doesn't up the compression but allows for a much better spark to be funneled to the combustion chamber (since there is a slight but noticeable offset between combustion chamber and spark plug location on the flattie). With a tuned carb and a good hot spark (I use E3 plugs for such a mod) one can gain a hp or more doing it, sometimes even more than that depending on other mods, fuel/additives used etc.

I understand now it's an aftermarket thing for smaller briggs engine mods, but its much easier to do it yourself (and a heck of a lot cheaper). Just use a copper gasket (or get the material and make your own like I do) and you're off and running...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head    opposed - 16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

16hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin shaving the head
Page 1 of 1