All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New build, looking ideas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheEquineFencer

New build, looking ideas Empty
PostSubject: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 8:01 am

I finally got a day off during daylight hours to get by to pick up what I'm sure is an 820 style Peerless rear end. It has the 1 inch axles. I'll get it washed off and see if I can fins some numbers on it to see what I have. I got it home and finnaly got the rusted out drive pulley off. I used a torch to "uncover" the snap ring to remove the ring. I heated it up and the metalmites let go of it. I had to cut what was left of the pulley off down to the hub bushing, then used a puller to remove the keyed part. I'm wondering what pulleys, belt size and what to do for gearing. I'm going to build something like a 'Gator from scratch for use around the farm. I'll need some bottom end power for low speed pulling but want the top end speed for when I really want to go somewhere. The engine choices are a fairly new OHV 15.5 Briggs from a Murray or Bolens mower I salvaged or a 18 HP OP Briggs That I know used to run. I'm leaning more towards the OHV engine. I'm going to do a little measuring this faternoon to see how wide I'll build the thing, I'll measure the neighbors "mule" and use that as a guide. I plant to build a set of rear adapters for the axle from a set of S-10 axle flanges, 5 lug Chevrolet bolt pattern. I'm thinking for gearing to use the same size pulley on the rear end as the engine. What are the deminsions I need for that pulley? How hard is it to install a gearset in the rearend to pick up the top end speed?
Back to top Go down
xxXMowerdudeXxx
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 8:59 am

The gearset upgrades arnt cheap but it is possable, http://roms-peerless-transaxle-supply.ecrater.com/p/7186560/gearset-upgrade-2-for-peerless-820-transaxle-mower

That will make you do like 30-35 stock gearing
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 9:21 am

xxXMowerdudeXxx wrote:
The gearset upgrades arnt cheap but it is possable, http://roms-peerless-transaxle-supply.ecrater.com/p/7186560/gearset-upgrade-2-for-peerless-820-transaxle-mower

That will make you do like 30-35 stock gearing

So with a stock OEM pulley and that gear set it'll get 30-35? So if I drop the final drive pulley size down 20% it'll do 36 - 42. How hard is it to the upgrade, other than getting the self tapping bolts that break off when you take it apart? Does this rear end have grease or is it oil lubed?
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 9:59 am

I found the numbers from the rear end, it's a 820 037 Peerless 1064 1248. So what does this mean? is there a thread with how to go through one of these? I noticed the input shaft has someplay in it like the bearing is worn some moving it left to right and it has some play when you pull up on it too. Will new bearings fix this?
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 10:08 am

TheEquineFencer wrote:
I found the numbers from the rear end, it's a 820 037 Peerless 1064 1248. So what does this mean? is there a thread with how to go through one of these? I noticed the input shaft has someplay in it like the bearing is worn some moving it left to right and it has some play when you pull up on it too. Will new bearings fix this?

Sounds like the one im getting new, 820-037 those are grease filled.

http://isopop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_System_-_Transmissions__Differentials691218.pdf

Guess a new bearing would take out the side to side play and shims will remove the up and down play.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 10:09 am

LOL, I was just looking at that thread.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitimeApril 7th 2013, 10:11 am

TheEquineFencer wrote:
LOL, I was just looking at that thread.

Yea, tho that link/post should be in the tranny topic and not in general section.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New build, looking ideas   New build, looking ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New build, looking ideas
Page 1 of 1