All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Gauges and panels.

Go down 
+3
Doug
Chopperhed
Murray modder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 11:10 am

Anybody know a good way to add gauges (Oil pressure, gas, temperature) to a mowers engine? Im planning on adding some to my offroader. How about a panel for out electric starts and things as well? Last, how do I fill in the holes on my dash?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 1:57 pm

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 2:16 pm

I can answer some of those:

Making panels is easy, all you need is some flat metal. When I did my dash, I did all toggle switches because cutting holes for rocker switches is hard and drilling holes for toggles is easy.

For holes you can use some fiberglass body filler if its plastic, or just some scrap metal and a welder if its metal (how I did mine).

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 5:26 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Take a llok in the electrical section

https://www.atltf.com/t1750-how-to-wire-up-a-low-oil-sensor
Not what I was trying to accomplish. I ment more along the lines of a ooil PRESSURE gauge, like we have in cars.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:05 pm

As most small engines are splash lubricated they have no oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:14 pm

WellThatsSurprising wrote:
As most small engines are splash lubricated they have no oil pressure.

bingo...

For all other systems its a matter of having the sensor/sender and a guage.

Tachs are expensive for these engines.

Ammeter, voltmeters are pretty simple, I prefer voltmeters since i don't have to run big cables to it.

Any safety swith on your rig can be wired up to a light as a simple off/on indicator
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:21 pm

Actually Tachs are quite cheap depending on where you buy them, most american stores mark them up like crazy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hour-meter-Tachometer-2-4-Stroke-Small-Engine-Spark-For-Boat-Outboard-Mercury-/150950632944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23255bddf0

This same exact one goes for 40 at Northern Tool.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:29 pm

Make a new dash over the new.

Tach, exh temp, mixture, oil temp, volt that should fill your dash space Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:31 pm

The big issue is that those little cheapy tachs have a digital display, and some aren't even backlit. If you're like me, you'd much prefer an automotive style analog sweep gauge. Those do NOT come cheap for magneto-ignition engines, and a normal auto one generally won't work.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:34 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
The big issue is that those little cheapy tachs have a digital display, and some aren't even backlit. If you're like me, you'd much prefer an automotive style analog sweep gauge. Those do NOT come cheap for magneto-ignition engines, and a normal auto one generally won't work.

And also the read out lag on cheap ones.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:34 pm

I guy I know in The LFMAO race league uses Autmeter universal diesel tachs. Nice analog look, and comes with a mag pickup.

Pricey though.
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:39 pm

Ah, okay. Nice to get other opinions on things, I've only seen one that was on a friends tractor and while I was riding it did not seem to lag, guess there might actually be a difference. I use a TrailTech vapor on most of my motorized things.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 7:52 pm

Yeah, when I think more about it your might be better of without a cheap tach than having one, like false readout. Say I removed the governor of Californiaii. And the tach shows 3500rpm, me thinking I can floor it some more, the motor might be at 3650rpm, when I let off the throttle it might have 3800rpm and two holes in the block Razz

Last edited by Thunderdivine on April 27th 2013, 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 27th 2013, 8:04 pm

accuracy is key.

A false reading is worse than none at all.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2013, 8:45 am

Good idea with the diesel tach. I don't imagine that they are cheap though. The range is probably better, too- I have a nice 10K rpm race-style tach, which would be a total waste on an engine that never sees over 4K...

Regarding other gauges- I am experimenting with a temperature setup. Stay with me here-

An automotive water temperature gauge- the mechanical type that needs no power. (could use an electric one but I got this for like $5). Right now, I have it plumbed into the oil drain plug fitting. The idea being that it reads engine oil temp. Once a "normal" is established, it can be used to keep an eye on things while punishing that air-cooled engine on a hot August day...

So far, so wrong.I picked up some plumbing stuff- I wrenched a nipple and a tee into the block. Off one side of the tee is the factory drain fitting. Off the other side, is the temp sender. Unfortunately, the sender is just too far out of the block in this configuration, so the oil that sits in that section of pipe stays too cool. I did it this way because I didn't want to have to take out the sender every time I change the oil- which I am pretty anal about.

But it's not working. I have to get that sender closer to the sump- maybe right in it. I will first try taking all the extra fittings out and installing it just outside the sump. failing that, I may drill and tap a new hole right in the sump. We'll see.

one other thing I been thinking about- oil temp doesn't change very quickly. But head temp does. I might try hogging out a space between cooling fins right on the cylinder head, and soldering the probe in place there. However- this probe was made to be submerged in liquid. I'm not sure if this (or soldering) would kill it...

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeApril 28th 2013, 9:48 am

The oil temp sender should be in the oil.

I don't know how it will work on the head.

IF you had the cash, an exhaust gas temperature gauge woukd tell a lot about your mixture
Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 4:40 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:

And also the read out lag on cheap ones.

I used a regular tachometer on my tractor and it works great! it goes up to 2,500 rpm, minimum of about 900 to 1000 to rpm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gauges and panels. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauges and panels.   Gauges and panels. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gauges and panels.
Page 1 of 1