All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Which engine?

Go down 
+3
richie thomas
Doc Sprocket
Murray modder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray modder
Murray modder

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2013, 9:26 pm

So, Ive finally decided on buying a NEW motor, instead of buying one that I don't know the hours of, maintained or not and that kinda stuff.
I have three options.
-A 17.5 Briggs Recoil AND electric start.
-21 HP Briggs electric start
- Heavily modified horizontal engine

The reason for the modified horizontal is for my racer, that has a 6.5 Powerhorse from Northern Tool. I like the engine, but its not that powerful. aand since this thing is going to be ran in public, Id like the whole bragging right kinda thing I guess.

The other two are the ones that are going to cause the rants.
The 17.5 is a recoil, which in the past Ive had a lot of problems relying on a electric starter. (stupid twins) While the other is a 21 HP, its stronger. But the 17.5 allows me to leave off any kind of electrical stuff. Battery, solenoid, those kinds of things. While I ould simply do the pull start upgrade on the 21HP, Id rather not do it, I fear id mess that up HORRIBLY. ANd I could, in perspective, drive the 17.5 into DEEP water and I wouldn't have to worry about shorting something out. But the 21HP is strong. that is its only fight.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2013, 10:20 pm

It's really up to you, but aware that electrics or not- you can still bugger the 17.5 up but good, in deep water. Regardless of electric start, you still have a magneto ignition system, and several ways for water to get into your engine...
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2013, 10:37 pm

i wold go with the 21 personally, not only because its bigger, but because you could easily put a pull start on it and have it as a back up
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 19th 2013, 11:14 pm

How modified is modified?

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 8:56 am

richie thomas wrote:
i wold go with the 21 personally, not only because its bigger, but because you could easily put a pull start on it and have it as a back up
I would go with the 21 and like Richie said you can put a pull start on for backup.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 5:20 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
How modified is modified?
One of the Honda G200s, whatever $600 can get.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 6:18 pm

Is that a G200, or a Gx200? The G series is L-head, the GX is OHV. The Honda GX series is IMO the best damn OPE engines out there. Very well engineered and built, dead nuts reliable, and awesome aftermarket support. I had a GX340 big block on my go kart that would start in the dead of winter, one pull from an empty carb. I gave that engine hell, and it never let me down. All I gave it was scheduled maintenance. I do have a chinese GX200 clone, we will see how it does in the long term...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 6:34 pm

Hondas are very nice engines indeed.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 7:28 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Is that a G200, or a Gx200? The G series is L-head, the GX is OHV. The Honda GX series is IMO the best damn OPE engines out there. Very well engineered and built, dead nuts reliable, and awesome aftermarket support. I had a GX340 big block on my go kart that would start in the dead of winter, one pull from an empty carb. I gave that engine hell, and it never let me down. All I gave it was scheduled maintenance. I do have a chinese GX200 clone, we will see how it does in the long term...
ive built a few honda clone engines before what i noticed about them is the pistons are crappy the one i had i bought a aftermarket flathead cam and it ran great then i sold it the best cams to use if your gonna mod them is a .265 cam 10x better then the stock cam
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 9:02 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Gx200** Sorry, had to copy and paste for the letter, my key apparently is busted...Who knew? Yeah, the engine I urrently hae on it is reliable ass hell, but...its a clone...
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 9:15 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
Gx200** Sorry, had to copy and paste for the letter, my key apparently is busted...Who knew? Yeah, the engine I urrently hae on it is reliable ass hell, but...its a clone...
well you can always buy a aftermarket block thats bored .30 over and build the engine up slowly and run i on your mower
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 9:17 pm

Jay_Rod wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
well you can always buy a aftermarket block thats bored .30 over and build the engine up slowly and run i on your mower
Then I run into a parts problem with stuff not matching up right
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2013, 9:24 pm

Murray modder wrote:
Jay_Rod wrote:
Murray modder wrote:
Doc Sprocket wrote:
Then I run into a parts problem with stuff not matching up right
true i didnt think of that lol
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2013, 7:36 pm

i'd roll with the 21 horse. a pull starter could be done easy, could probably even buy one from briggs if you wanted to. even with the pull on the 17.5 i would still want the electric start (im fat and lazy).. say you stall it in deep mud/ water. who wants to get off and pull a cord in that. id rather push a button or turn a key
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which engine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which engine?   Which engine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which engine?
Page 1 of 1