All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
98Murray
98Murray

projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Empty
PostSubject: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 12:40 pm

Hello. I am not really a new member but i have never really introduced myself. I am 15 years old and i live in a small farm town south of Dallas Texas. Around here almost everybody has a old junker lawn mower sitting out back that they will sell for cheap or give away so i have built up a decent collection. I have never really done any custom work but i am starting to and am realizing how fun it is to customize a lawn mower. Right now my collection includes
1970 John Deere 112 with Kohler engine and hydraulic lift
1971 Montgomery Ward by MTD 8HP mini mower with chain drive
1985 Sears GT/18
1986 Lawn Chief by Murray 18/42 GT
1986 Murray 11/36
1989 Wheel Horse 211-5SB 11 horsepower Briggs motor
2006 Huskee Supreme by MTD
2010 Craftsman YTS3000

And coming soon
1986 Murray 39004 garden tractor
Another 1986 Murray 39004 garden tractor
And maybe a 1990 Craftsman II big cube garden tractor

So thats my current collection and future tractors that i are being delivered hopefully soon. Now the garden tractors are not custom they are all bone stock and the JD 112 is the king of the fleet. The lawn tractors are all custom. Biggest project right now is the Wheel Horse, it is becoming a off road racing mower. It is perfect for a off road racer because its not very big, not very heavy, very simple design, cast iron front axle, grease zerks everywhere, the front spidles are so dam long that you can put the rear wheels on the front and not have to modify the spidles so that they will work, and the most badass part is the shifter which is on the dash by the steering wheel! Isnt that cool? I just locked up its motor yesterday so im gonna replace it with another 11 horse briggs i have laying around. It came with a peerless 5 speed but i swapped it out for a 6 speed. I still need to do a pulley swap and get some brakes and rewire it and find a gas tank. This tractor is very very light so it should do good as a mudder. Another big project is my 2010 Craftsman YTS3000. Phone wont let my type anymore i will continue in next post
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 12:52 pm

Are you willing to sell the motor off the GT/18?
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 12:53 pm

The Craftsman is going to a drag racing style mower. I know it sounds silly but it just has the right look to it and a drag racing lawn mower would be so badass. It currently has a Kohler 19 horse (not stock) and i may leave it in there but it also has a blown hydro trans which has gotta go and will be replaced with a Peerless 4 speed or a Foote 4 speed. As for tires its going to have 13s on the front and for now 20X10s on the back Maybe 23s if they will fit. Another project is the Huskee, i am thinking about making it into one of those trackless trains so i can sell it for some big bucks or rent it out for parties. The Murray 11/36 is now a trailer to tow behind the off road racing mower. Its just a frame with body and transaxle no front axle mower deck engine or clutch system. Got to put a hitch on the front and find a ice chest that will fit under the hood and it will be a tow around cooler trailer. Now the last project is the big craftsman cube tractor (when i get it) i am going to take the motor and everything from the motor area out and put a bbq grill in the engine area. Why? For the fun of it. And i hate the grill i have now so i am going to make a lawn mower grill. The craftsman GT is perfect because the hood is so dam big i can shove a huge grill in there. So heres where i need help. I have questions mostly about the off road racer and the drag racer. On the off road racer what is a good size pulley to put on the motor and trans where i have a 30ish mile an hour 6th gear but a slower just running around the yard 1st gear? On the drage racer what would be a good pulley swap for it? Also i know almost nothing about drag racing but would it be good to lock the axle on the drag racer? I plan on locking the axle in the off road racer but i am not sure if i need to on the drag racer. Well what do you guys think? Any feedback would be great and is very appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 12:56 pm

WellThatsSurprising wrote:
Id like to keep it but i would sell it for the right price, i am not much of a seller tho
Back to top Go down
WellThatsSurprising
WellThatsSurprising

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 1:07 pm

98Murray wrote:

Id like to keep it but i would sell it for the right price, i am not much of a seller tho
PM sent. Also for the drag racer you would be best off going chain drive as to avoid belt slip which, when you dump the clutch would be bound to happen.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 1:23 pm

98Murray wrote:

PM sent. Also for the drag racer you would be best off going chain drive as to avoid belt slip which, when you dump the clutch would be bound to happen.
Thanks i will see about doing chain drive. Kinda scary thinking about chain drive because of all the modifying id have to do to the frame
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2013, 3:34 pm

Welcome, and nice Collection uve got there. Some pics would be nice Smile Ive got the JD 110. It's my stock mower.
Back to top Go down
98Murray
98Murray

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2013, 8:36 pm

Sorry no pics. When i get my laptop fixed or just get another i will post pics
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2013, 9:01 pm

would't have to mod the frame that much, just notch it and mount pillow blocks to hold the live axle, some online run the stock rearend and seem to do ok, but it definately needs to be possi locks for drag racing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects   projects - Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Some Help With Lots Of Projects
Page 1 of 1