All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

who likes briggs?

Go down 
+16
Creepycrawler
dylansrockinrigs
joshualee3d
k2500life
motorizedeverything
crazykid1994
dragon born
theswampmachine
MowBandit
Stretch44875
Doc Sprocket
craftsmancole
TroyBilt Pony
Doug
Thunderdivine
the beast
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
crazykid1994
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

who likes briggs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2013, 4:03 pm

i love my briggs never had a different motor tho ive had 3 briggs. a 17.5 avs ohv that still runs. a 12hp flathead it started up and ended up burning the rings after sitting for 3 or 4 years. and another i ran hard for about a year after it had been used for mowing for idk how long before a valve stem snapped was a 12.5 hp ohv
Back to top Go down
motorizedeverything
motorizedeverything

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2013, 4:53 pm

I have 3 briggs the one on my offroad mower is a 14.5hp ohv. the one on the grass cutter is a signal cylinder 19hp ohv. and the one on my push mower is like a 1980 5 hp flathead and a few non briggs engines

Last edited by motorizedeverything on July 1st 2013, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
k2500life
Veteran Member
k2500life
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2013, 8:36 pm

i like briggs especially the flatheads
Back to top Go down
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
dragon born
dragon born

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 1st 2013, 10:23 pm

I'm glad that briggs motors are pretty popular What a Face 
Back to top Go down
joshualee3d
joshualee3d

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 2nd 2013, 9:32 am

I have a 14.5hp briggs and a 14.5hp kohler. I love them both but I think the the briggs has a bit more punch and it responds faster.
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2013, 9:08 pm

I've got a 10 Horse Briggs horizontal, and a 6.5 horse briggs vertical (these are they ony ones that run right now) Ive also got another 6.5 horse briggs vertical never had a carb and it was free, ive got a 14.5 horse briggs found it in the woods and it needs a new coil, horse needs the carb cleaned, 6 horse Tecumseh ran great til it backfired and the carb fell off, a 6.5-7 horse 212cc Predator motor, a 17 horse briggs (cant get it to run), a little 33cc 2 stroke motor (needs carb cleaned), and a 21cc 2stroke (cant get it adjusted right). Eventually i will have enough toys to put all my running motors on! Then ill fix the tecumseh be cause it wasnt that bad except its a pain to find parts for them anymore
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 24th 2013, 9:24 pm

I like briggs, stupid tough and pretty reliable, and very cheap. how ever my true love is Honda's gx series. finest small engine ever built IMO. the 8hp (gx270 I think) that I own came off a trash pump from a pipline company that used it as a bypass pump, day in, day out. pump finally gave up, so it go sat in the storage yard for a couple years, dad brought it home for me one day. I cleaned the carb and put fresh fuel in it, bam fired up Idled perfect. got it when I was 17 Im 26 now. Motor went on a mud bogging woods bouncing sears garden tractor. Has had the balls ran off it the whole time Ive owned it. only changed the oil and 1 spark plug and airfilter. motor doesnt smoke knock or tick, fires right up on the first or second pull every time, weather its 100 or 10 degrees out. It made me a believer for sure. I love my gx390 but it can be harder to start, by this I mean it usually takes 4 or 5 pulls to get it started the first time. you just cant beat a honda engine.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 9:06 am

I used to have a push mower with a honda on it. Dead nuts reliable, always started with the first pull. The deck rotted out from under the engine.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 1:11 pm

I have never owned a Honda, but have driven/used a few and I absolutely love them. I don't think I'd trade my briggs for one but... they're right up there with my briggs flatheads for durability...
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 3:52 pm

I had a Honda push mower that caught on fire when I tried to start it
Back to top Go down
meigs man
meigs man

PostSubject: The Timex of motors   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 8:43 pm

Briggs and Stratton really got it right from the first on. The oldest one i ever owned was a 1946 3hp tiller it was last used in 1966 in 1991 i paid $10 for it took it home cleaned the tank and carb it started on the second rope pull so amazing. Iv raced 5hp Briggs on my go carts for years in stock and modified classs over the years iv had many flat heads im now using my first 14 ohv motor on my project off road lawn tractor i hope i enjoy it like i have the flat heads. Being a appliance repair man iv worked on many old maytag, and wayfair, speed queen, wringer washers that had the old 1 1/2 and 2 hp kick start gasoline briggs & stratton motors the Amish are using them still today just amazing.
Back to top Go down
Kody6
Kody6

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 9:43 pm

I have a 10 horse Briggs and I have not had a problem and I have heard bad things about Tecumseh so I will stay with my Briggs
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 10:23 pm

I have Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh, and honda clone.

For me they all work great. I have a 77 ford LGT100 with the stock Kohler 10 and it ran like a dream after a quick carb clean and fresh fuel.

I have a Tecumseh in my new articulated, that starts first pull, after a carb clean and fresh gas. Year date on the engine sez 89.

I have a 93 Briggs in my little 73 ford LT75, runs great idles ok, all I gave it was fresh gas.

I have a brand new Honda clone that runs amazing.

I don't care who built it, they all have ther pros and cons.

I just like engines., and building things to be powered by engines.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 10:56 pm

Yeah Chop (may I call you Chop?), you have a point. An engine is an engine as long as it does its job. Just like in small cars/trucks... nobody seems to like the isuzu 4cyl from the 70s through early 90's... me, I love em. Personal preferences really is all this is about, who runs what etc... essentially they're all the same with different stickers added for color.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: who likes briggs?   who likes briggs? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

who likes briggs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2