All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Marines2621
Marines2621

Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Empty
PostSubject: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2013, 11:29 pm

I locked this transaxle today and it acts Wierd. It runs with no problem but when it's in neutral it will not coast at all. I have took off the brake and nothing. If had it coast a little but it rough. What could cause these problems? Yes there is alot of greese in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2013, 11:44 pm

might sound crazy, but have you checked the axle bushings? what about end play? something's binding up in the axle area methinks....
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 8th 2013, 11:47 pm

im gonna take it back apart tomorrow and check all bushing and input shaft. Cause it don't have play
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 12:06 am

you said it was full of grease - is the grease old or too stiff/thick? may also be an issue
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 12:08 am

I didn't change the grease. But when I put vise on the axles and use force to spin it. It makes a noise. Kinda like the brake draging. But the brake was off. I think something it binding
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 12:46 am

sounds like you got slag from welding in one of your gears or on your axle take the top case off spin the axle and see if it lifts up anywhere
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 12:49 am

Alright. Sounds like a plan. I'll look everything over carefully
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 8:42 am

If it wasn't welded perfectly straight, the axle will bind, after being installed and bolts tightened.

Or one of the tab's on the bushing's is out of place.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitimeJuly 9th 2013, 9:32 pm

Well I found out the ball for the shifter and spring fell in the case which made it bind up. I took and cleaned the gears put it back in put the tabs in right and she is so smooth now. Just perfect. Thanks for the ideas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.   Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foote/Dana 5 Speed Transaxle Problems.
Page 1 of 1