All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Empty
PostSubject: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 4:24 pm

Well put the transaxle all back together slipped the detent ball and springs in and got it all hooked up under the tractor and now my shifting feels like a hydro, there isn't a definetive click that was there before I took it apart. Now it's like it just glides through gears with no clicking. What could be causing this guys I'm confused
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 4:42 pm

Maybe missing the spring that pushes the ball down?

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 4:43 pm

OK, first indication would be that you may not have tightened the set screw(s) back down enough. That is usually what softens/hardens the shift feel.

That to me is about the only thing that could be wrong. Someone else will likely chime in with their opinion/views too...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 4:58 pm

Highly unlikely but you might or broken a spring when you tightened the screws down. Nearly anything that can go wrong with your situation so I'd take it back apart.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 5:39 pm

depending on what kind of transaxle it is, the problem may be you didnt hold up on the shifter to keep the ball and spring in place while you were putting it back together. it used to happened to me alot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 6:01 pm

Creepycrawler wrote:
depending on what kind of transaxle it is, the problem may be you didnt hold up on the shifter to keep the ball and spring in place while you were putting it back together. it used to happened to me alot.

That also is possible. Didn't think of it until you said it
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 6:02 pm

Took it back out and opened the "caps" that screw over the ball and spring. On my transaxle,which is a foote 6 speed,there's two detent balls and springs. Well one of them had vanished and the spring sunk down a little?!? I don't know how this happened as the other one was fine. So cracked the case found the ball and reinstalled the case and put the ball in again and when I bench shifted it it fell down again. Not sure why but every time I move the shifter it keeps falling into the transaxle
Back to top Go down
crazykid1994
Established Member
crazykid1994
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 6:32 pm

yoou may be missing a spacer. that happened to me because my shifters arms on the inside actually spread apart allowing the whole assembly to do what it wanted...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 6:56 pm

Jerbear0612 wrote:
Took it back out and opened the "caps" that screw over the ball and spring. On my transaxle,which is a foote 6 speed,there's two detent balls and springs. Well one of them had vanished and the spring sunk down a little?!? I don't know how this happened as the other one was fine. So cracked the case found the ball and reinstalled the case and put the ball in again and when I bench shifted it it fell down again. Not sure why but every time I move the shifter it keeps falling into the transaxle

OK now I have something to work with. Seems your shift plate those ride on isn't aligned. There are multiple holes on the plate, right? The parts breakdown indicates that the main detent holes on the shift plate have to line up with the detent holes on the case. That being said, with so many holes on the shift plate here's how I do it -

Bring the transaxle into neutral and note the position of the shift plate. lock it all back down in that position then put in the balls, springs and retaining screws. Tighten the sh@ out of them at first, then back the screws off till it feels "right". By positioning it all in neutral before you reassemble (and keeping it there till done) you usually line the balls up right and prevent them from falling off again.
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 7:29 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys, gonna head out now and try to align everything in neutral and see if it works. Wish me luck
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 25th 2013, 11:00 pm

Ran out of time to do it tonight will have to try in the morning. Hopefully ill report back with good news
Back to top Go down
Jerbear0612
Jerbear0612

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitimeJuly 27th 2013, 4:35 pm

It works Smile appreciate all the help guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro   hydro - I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need help 6 speed feels like a hydro
Page 1 of 1