All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side

Go down 
+6
matt-man
Doc Sprocket
Chopperhed
TroyBilt Pony
redlinemotorsportts
MCRideout
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2013, 1:17 pm

that brings a bunch of things into play. lobes, cams, valves/clearances, rings, pistons... if you have a squirt gun for oil or a funnel with a tube or syrenge or something, try squirting a SMALL amount of oil in the cylinders. its called a "wet compression test". helps the rings seal better
Back to top Go down
MCRideout

PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2013, 1:41 pm

I have an oil can and will give it a squirt tonight.
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2013, 3:01 pm

Squirting oil into the cylinder has about a 2% of chance of fixing your problem.. When you had your head off.. did you see any scoring in the cyl? If the engine was ever ran on low oil.. that could be the problem.. How used is this engine.. i doubt that the compression ring (top ring) is worn.. but its a possibility.. in all honesty.. it glowing a little at night is no huge deal.. its running and thats what counts when it comes to these motors.. if this is a race motor, then i would be concerned.. My pony has a 12hp flatty and it made the exhaust red in day light.. so i shaved the lifter down to spec.. cleaned up the valve seats and port/polished it.. and it hasnt done it since. With an OHV.. more factors are involved. lots of things can slow the reaction of your exhaust valve.. Did everything seem free and easy to slide when you had the valves, out? If not.. that could be delayed closing of your exhaust valve.. Because before that exhaust valve opens.. The fuel should be completely burned. 87 gas is fine for a stock mower. Any mods done to this? Governor intact? Lots of things can come into play.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2013, 7:01 pm

TroyBilt Pony wrote:
Squirting oil into the cylinder has about a 2% of chance of fixing your problem..
But it has about a 90% chance of diagnosing the problem, which is the point of the exercise. The oil in the cylinder trick is a check to see of the rings are at fault, as the oil will momentarily improve the compression reading IF the interface between the rings and cylinder wall are at fault.

Last edited by Doc Sprocket on October 18th 2013, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2013, 7:25 pm

i always do a squirt of oil if my compression is low... like doc said. its not supposed to FIX, its supposed to help DIAGNOSE the problem. thats how i figured out my quad needed a top end rebuild
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side   exhaust - V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V-Twin Briggs exhaust glowing red on one side
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3