All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 12/16/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Voting for the 2017 Build-Off has ended! Click Here to view results!
The prize list has been finalized! Check out what's up for grabs by clicking here!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Belt keeps falling off

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AustinD
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Belt keeps falling off   Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm pretty pissed and can't figure out the problem.

Current belt setup:  1:1 ratio.  I added a second idler pulley to the clutch and put the belt on opposite sides of the pulleys so when I press the clutch in, the belt engages (instead of the standard opposite).  There is also one other idler added to keep the belt from rubbing against the shifter.

I tested it out and it works great when the belt is too tight.  I loosened the belt appropriately and added some coat hanger belt retainers.  They worked okay but of course the belt kept falling off as I expected.  So I just spend about six hours welding thick bent nails to the clutch, drilled and added some bolts coming through the battery compartment for the transmission pulley, making sure everything was prefect.  Tested it out, worked for about a minute, and then the belt derailed from one of the clutch pulleys.

With a bit of pushing I was able to squeeze the belt back into the retainer and onto the pulley.  Road it for about another 20 seconds and the belt fell off from the transmission pulley.  No matter how hard I squeezed I was not able to get the belt back into the retainer and onto the pulley.  I checked and all the pulleys are all pretty much even with each other and there is no wobble in any of them.  So if it was that perfect, how the hell does it keep falling off?  

Maybe some of you have experience with this?  The retainers are as good as they can be, and it helps nothing.  Know of a more efficient way of keeping a belt on?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator

Forum Rep : 9

PostSubject: Re: Belt keeps falling off   Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Just keep checking the usual suspects- pulley wobble or off center (not running true) pulley misalignment (check with straightedge, not by eye) 1 or more pulleys not perfectly parallel to other pulleys (again, straightedge), etc.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
AustinD
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Belt keeps falling off   Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Ah, never mind, problem fixed.  After I calmed down I adjusted the distances between the retainers and the pulleys.  Feel like an idiot now Razz.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Belt keeps falling off   Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:56 am

@AustinD wrote:
Ah, never mind, problem fixed.  After I calmed down I adjusted the distances between the retainers and the pulleys.  Feel like an idiot now.
  ehh, it happens. they have to be alot closer than you would think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belt keeps falling off   

Back to top Go down

Belt keeps falling off
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1