All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 12/16/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Voting for the 2017 Build-Off has ended! Click Here to view results!
The prize list has been finalized! Check out what's up for grabs by clicking here!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 

Shaft powered lawn tractor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arild365
Skilled
Skilled

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am

I wanted to know if any of you had a shaft driven lawn tractor. It would be ideal for water. I think some Cub cadets have have em. It wouldnt be too hard to make.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Chunk
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:56 pm

It would be very easy to do with any lawn tractor. You'd need two Right Angle Gear Boxes, one under the engine and one on the tranny. That would give you a 1:1 ratio. Only problem is you'd need a proper clutch like a car. Can you tell I've thought about this before? lol. The biggest expence would be the RAGBs, theyre not cheap new.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Someone somewhere mentioned about home making one out of two axles that have pinion gears - use two pillow blocks to support them - id say mount them to some square tubing ( L shaped) and add a cross brace - then build a box with oil seals out of steel sheets, welding all the sides but one ( to access the thing, bolt the unit to the bottom ( to remove it if needed) - i think its possible and sometime i wanna try it!

Only hard bit would be to mesh the gears correctly- might need to check it like when checking a differential ( to see if they mesh right).
Back to top Go down
ncredleg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:21 am

@arild365 wrote:
I wanted to know if any of you had a shaft driven lawn tractor. It would be ideal for water. I think some Cub cadets have have em. It wouldnt be too hard to make.
I don`t see why a transaxle couldn`t be mounted at a 90 degree orientation to original and use a steering U-Joint attached to the input shaft . You would have to figure a method to clutch it though to change gears, unless it was a hydro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:51 am

my honda has a shaft n it goes ok in the mud its just kinda heavy if u get better tires itll do better
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 pm

The bigger cubs have shaft drive - they weight alot as well. Thats why alot of tractor pullers use a cub trans as a starting point.

I dont know how well a transmission mounted sideways would work - where would you mount it? They take up alot of room - plus theyre weak ( unless filled with oil and heavy duty berings) - only way to find out is build one actually.

Belts will still work when wet- IF theyre the better quality ones - i ran my agway in the mud and water up to the bottom of the motor and it still moved easily ( only lost traction from the crappy stock tires is all).
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
Skilled
Skilled

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 am

I had a bolens with shaft drive..
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 am

Yeah that guy Tommarytn on YT uses all those old Bolens tractors with the wisconsin and kohler motors - neat things about those are the trans can be locked like a front axle on a 4x4 - just twist the knob on one of the rear wheels- plus the tube chassis is cool. He takes those things everywhere - mud, water.

The shaft setup is sorta weird- it hooks to the motor by belts- its not directly hooked to it - its mounted a few inches below the motor back to the trans.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:24 am

ive thought about doing this a few times but alot of times i dont have the money
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:41 pm

@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
The bigger cubs have shaft drive - they weight alot as well. Thats why alot of tractor pullers use a cub trans as a starting point.

I dont know how well a transmission mounted sideways would work - where would you mount it? They take up alot of room - plus theyre weak ( unless filled with oil and heavy duty berings) - only way to find out is build one actually.

Belts will still work when wet- IF theyre the better quality ones - i ran my agway in the mud and water up to the bottom of the motor and it still moved easily ( only lost traction from the crappy stock tires is all).

i had 2 similar tractors a few years ago and they both had the exact same belt, i replaced both belts within 2 months but i bought them at the same time because i knew id need it anyway one of them i could completely submerge and itll still grip fine but on the other it didnt take much at all and the belt was slipping and i had to get the other tractor to pull it out
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:55 pm

On Tommarytn's YT cahnnel- when they went into deep water- water would spray up like a water fountain when the hood was open , just in front of the steering wheel- pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaft powered lawn tractor   

Back to top Go down

Shaft powered lawn tractor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1