All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

Heat my garage? Lend10PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inDiscordCountdown TimerHeat my garage? Rend10
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
2019 Build Off Underway!
2019 Top Tractor Challenge! Aug 17th and 18th! DETAILS HERE!

Heat my garage?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TroyBilt Pony
Veteran
Veteran
TroyBilt Pony

Forum Rep : 0

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey guys, I got a detached 2 car garage I want to heat but have an issue. Its at my aunts and I can't run a wood burner due to not be able to exhaust it.. so what other options do i have? I want to keep it cheap as possible and safe. Thanks, TBP.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Apprentice
Apprentice
Craftsman Dude

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Propane heater should heat it quickly when you need it and wont have to worry about it any other time.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 45

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 7:20 am

Or a forced air heater if you have the space.

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 19

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 am

You could use a kerosene heater like I do. The type in question burns very clean, and you need only to crack a window or door by an inch for adequate ventilation. They are radiant only (no fan) but you could use a pedestal or box fan nearby to circulate the heat.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Veteran
Veteran
TroyBilt Pony

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:09 am

@Doc Sprocket wrote:
You could use a kerosene heater like I do. The type in question burns very clean, and you need only to crack a window or door by an inch for adequate ventilation. They are radiant only (no fan) but you could use a pedestal or box fan nearby to circulate the heat.
I had a Kerosene torpedo style heater but my buddy bought it. I need to do this cheaply guys.. Very limited on cash atm due to purchasing my truck soon.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Administrator
Administrator
Doc Sprocket

Forum Rep : 19

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 am

When you say "torpedo" do you mean the type that throws a big open flame? I don't suggest that type. I mean the catalytic type.
Budget is my middle name (my mom's to blame, LOL). When I decided I needed an alternate garage heating method (electrical is waaay too costly) I put out a CL ad. I traded a chainsaw I no longer needed for a kero heater.

Put down the wrench, and come out with your hands up!-Doc "Tranny Crusher" Sprocket, ATLTF Forum Admin, Thinkerer and Tinkerer, and all-around good dood. Wink

Gen. Mayhem- http://www.atltf.com/t2597-general-mayhem-race-tractor
MULE- http://www.atltf.com/t2153-lawn-boy-utltv
MULEII- http://www.atltf.com/t3328-1970-john-deere-112-the-beginnings-of-mule-ii
MULEIII http://www.atltf.com/t4263-mule3-brainstorming-ideas-etc#58287
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

Forum Rep : 3

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I need to heat my garage too, and i have a old Kerosene heater too, might use it. just use a fan to circulate the air? Hmm

whos mans is this
Back to top Go down
Rocky Rhodes
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Rocky Rhodes

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

I've been using several types in my shop. I like having several units to fire up and get the temps up quickly.

Propane Tank Top heater works well for when you're standing fairly close (within 6 feet max). I use a 20lb tank and it lasts about a month or more. I usually use this for a short time (30 minutes) on cold mornings.

Kerosene uprights - I use two. Spaced well apart from each other. I use these to quickly get the shop up to a comfortable temp. (I have an 8' flat ceiling) I don't leave them on for more than an hour at a time.

Electric space heaters: Again, I have a couple. Sometimes the temp in the shop fluctuates and these can help moderate the temps because all the non-electric heaters I use don't have adjustable thermostats. All electric heaters I've seen have adj. thermos.

And lastly... the centerpiece of my heat comes from a free standing wood burning fireplace. Probably the most economical for me as a woodworker since I burn all my scraps plus some split wood.

I remember using torpedo heaters burning kerosense and they always seemed to stink pretty badly. Maybe bad maintenance but my upright "K" heaters do a pretty good job when I just want to add some quick heat fast but for a short period. I wouldn't hesitate to run them 100% if I didn't have other options. Hope some of this is helpful.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Administrator
Administrator
Doug

Forum Rep : 45

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 am

Dont uprights use a wick, while FAs just burn it raw?

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21

Back to top Go down
slim67
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Forum Rep : 3

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 am

I have a King 10Kw electric heater hanging from ceiling but when its really cold, I fire up my propane torpedo for a few minutes until its comfy then the electric maintains it from then on. Another factor to consider is insulation and ceiling height. I did my own blow in insulation and put a ceiling fan to keep pushing the warm air down. If it was me and without knowing anything about your garage i would get a propane torpedo and aim rear towards a window or crack open door.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Expert
Expert
willis923

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:16 am

i have a big buddy heater in my shelterlogic garage in a box. it does OK, it can get it up to about 50 degrees F in the immediate area around it, plus it throws some kickass radiant heat. idk how it would do in a large area, you might be better off with a salamander. you can pick up a small LP one from TSC for 100 bucks. should be good for a garage, ive actually been thinking about grabbing one. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/masterreg%3B-gas-forced-air-heater-60000-btu?cm_vc=-10005

-1999 Ford F-350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke

Lt wrote:
Feel free to try... Dont let anything but fear and common sense stop you. 

Heat my garage? Pbucket

Chat moderator

1st Lieutenant, Volunteer Firefighter, EMT-B, Galway Vol Fire co. Galway NY
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Expert
Expert
Craftsman1998

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 10:38 am

Use a kerosene Heater or a bullet heater. i use both a bullet heater is less efficient it smells more. a regular kerosene heater does not smell as much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heat my garage? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heat my garage?   Heat my garage? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heat my garage?
Page 1 of 1