All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

grease or oil?

Go down 
+2
Doc Sprocket
murrayracer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
murrayracer
murrayracer

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 11:31 pm

so i have a peerless 4 speed 915 and a foote 6 speed and i believe they both take grease, i disassembled the foote and cleaned the grease out of everything, so should i repack it with grease or use gear oil? what mods would need to be made to run oil? which is better?
Back to top Go down
murrayracer
murrayracer

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2013, 11:38 pm

from what i'm assuming oil would be better, grease seems to fling off and stick the the case, and cars don't use grease, so i'm assuming oil is better, but i'm not 100% sure what i have to do with oil, do i need a barb and a tube and a catch can or what?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 6:19 am

Your theories about grease vs oil are correct enough to point you the right way. This is why racers "race prep" their gearboxes and run them with gear oil as opposed to grease.

The short version of what you need to do to run oil in your case is this:

Clean the guts and case thoroughly, get all the grease out. Clean the heck out of the mating and bearing surfaces of the case halves. You want perfect here.

Look for a place high in the case to install a vent fitting. Peerless (dunno about your unit) often have a threaded boss for a neutral safety start switch. A 1/4"NPTx1/4"hose barb brass fitting will fit this port, but you'll have to cut about the bottom 3 threads off the fitting with a hacksaw or grinder, as it may interfere with the shift sector shaft. Test fit, mark and cut, apply teflon tape to threads, reinstall. Those with a high budget will get the case machined for oil seals wherever there's a shaft protrusion. Most do not. Same with bearing installation. If your bushings are in good shape, you can use them. Done right, it may drool a little oil periodically, but it's honestly not that bad.

Reassembly: All the bushings that go on shafts that EXIT the case (open holes in the case)- Smear a coat of RTV silicone on them, put them on the shafts, drop them in the case. Run a bead of RTV silicone around the mating surface of the lower case half and let stand for 20 mins or so to skin up. While standing, fill lower half a little less than halfway with gear oil.

Reassemble case, and reinstall in tractor. Attach a length of 1/4" rubber hose (with clamp) from the vent fitting, up high somewhere and secure in place. Mine exits just under the seat. If you wish- it's a good idea- cap that hose with a cheapie inline fuel filter to help keep any crap out. Good to go!
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 8:36 am

im going to be changing the gear oil in my bolens. what weight should i use? synthetic or conventional?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 8:53 am

We use regular 90w gear oil in ours.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
murrayracer
murrayracer

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 4:41 pm

alright! thanks doc! this forum is awesome! i just wish i could put some info instead of just taking it...
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 5:14 pm

You know what? Just that attitude is fantastic! Besides- given enough time and experience, and you too will be able to pass things on to those less experienced. Keep wrenching!
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 5:34 pm

if i was you i would run a mix of oil and grease just because the grease and oil mix will stick to the gears and it wont seep out of bushings but you can run gear oil ive just had issues with it seeping out even after using rtv sealent
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2013, 5:41 pm

Jay is right a good sticky grease and oil mix works great, Ive done it on my tranny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

grease or oil? Empty
PostSubject: Re: grease or oil?   grease or oil? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

grease or oil?
Page 1 of 1