All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Custom Snorkel for Craftsman

Go down 
+2
Doug
Nico K
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nico K

Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Empty
PostSubject: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 8:33 am

Recently I've been working on a custom snorkel for my Craftsman LT2000 Mud Mower and need a little help. I have a peice of white pool hose and clamps but am having trouble mounting the hose onto the carb. Any Ideas?

My Mud Mower build:
https://www.atltf.com/t2971-craftsman-lt2000-mud-mower
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 8:35 am

Have a pic of the carb opening?

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Nico K

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 9:05 am

Custom Snorkel for Craftsman 00711 17 horse briggs single
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 9:27 am

You basically have two choices- get rid of the lower half of that filter box and mount directly to the carb, or put the upper box back on, make a hole in it, and mount to that. Either way, you've got a bit of fab work ahead of you. Whatever you do, fint a way to incorporate a filter into the design.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 11:25 am

x2 on what doc says. cut a hole with a holesaw on a drill, just a tad smaller and you could probably thread a piece in or make a flange or something. i would go this route so you dont have to re-locate the air filter too
Back to top Go down
jack9102
jack9102

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 11:53 am

you can't just knock a hole in the upper airbox cover, pipe it, and have it be waterproof/resistant. The underside of these boxes is full of holes, just like 3 - 4hp mower engines with tank top carbs. The same goes for both foam and paper filters. Taking the entire two piece assembly off will give you a better idea how to waterproof it and plumb up a schnoerkel.

I'd suggest covering the bottom holes with JB-Welded vent duct sheet metal, making sure you got all the holes covered, then smear a bead of weatherproof silicone around the perimeter of the plate. After that I'd do as everyone else is saying, put a pipe out of the top half of the box. I'd suggest leaving the filter element in the box so any crud in your pipe wont be breathed, but a secondary filter on the pipe end wouldn't hurt.

Now that I think of it though, the seal between the top and bottom airbox halves isn't exactly water tight, let alone air tight, so you might just end up putting pipe on the carb flange where the box meets it. in that case I'd drill a hole in the back of a 90* elbow, so I can somehow use the original airbox screw to hold it on the carb, silicone seal it to the carb, and run rubber pipe from that.
Back to top Go down
jack9102
jack9102

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 1:02 pm

WAIT NO I F'd UP

Your engine has the newer style airbox. flat plastic bottom, plastic box upper, with a paper element. In your case you'll just end up making a flange going to the carb inlet and running pipe from there. Remove your airbox lower half, and you'll be left with a bare opening of the carb, the choke plate will be right there. Make a plastic two bolt flange to go where the airbox outlet was, stick a plastic pipe section [approx. 1" long] on the flange, bind the two together and run rubber hose to where you want your air inlet. I prefer rubber hose for snorkels cause vibration won't loosen glue joints and you can run it anywhere you can secure it with a gear clamp. My last post only applies to older engines with stamped steel air boxes.

One downside to this is you'll have to find a new way to operate your remote choke [if you have this mod], since the plastic airbox lower half has the mount point for the cable.

Last edited by jack9102 on December 7th 2013, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 7th 2013, 1:06 pm

You could use that part that you show in the pic, fit a PVC pipe over the holt that leads to the carb, and jd weld it there. cu the rest of it off and just go off the PVC you put on there.
Back to top Go down
Nico K

PostSubject: Thanks!   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitimeDecember 22nd 2013, 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the help! I think ill cover up all the holes in the top peice and drill a hole with the hole saw! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Snorkel for Craftsman   Custom Snorkel for Craftsman Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Snorkel for Craftsman
Page 1 of 1