All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hello, cool to find a neat community

Go down 
+2
1997 Murray
Krawler86
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

Hello, cool to find a neat community Empty
PostSubject: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 10:25 am

Hi, my name is Mitch and this site has been very inspiring. I used to mow my dads small field with a Cub Cadet 122 that i still have, though its lent out to a friend and getting pretty tired. I thought about using that as something to romp around the woods in NW Oregon. Tillamook State forrest / browns camp are great places to 4wheel. Ive always liked quads and never been a fan of 2 or 3 wheelers. I never had the cash or place to store / work on a quad either. Now that i live alone, i can use my space how i want and build myself something to play in the woods. I picked up a used Craftsman II GT, not sure what year, im still new to Mowers and GTs. I know its a common one, with a decent stout drivetrain. I love taking stuff apart and reworking stock parts in a way to make the machine do what i want. Il be posting up my build up to where i am now after i post this here.

Im glad to be inspired to build something to explore the woods much better than my pickup can, as the quad trails seem to really outnumber the 4x4 trails. You guys, especially being addicted to the videos Fearless front, Redneck computer geek and mud king have posted up. So stoked to get going!

And happy new year.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 10:51 am

welcome! GT craftsman IIs are one of the best mowers in my opinion. 3 speed hi-lo, right? opposed twin, I belive? the output shaft on the engine is aimed to the rear but the transaxle pulley is on the side. it would be neat if you rotated the engine 90 degrres and ran a belt sraght to the axle. good to have you here!
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 11:45 am

Hah, you read my mind.  I have it completely in pieces, tires on the way, engine being rotated 90 with a pull cord pully on the fan side, and im ordering maybe a cast iron pully for the Keyway shaft on the other side to use as the actual drive side.  Seemed much sturdier than the hub on the fan.

I just typed up a build with tons of pics, only to learn i cant post pics for 7 days.  Its kind of hard to explain everything i did without pics...  well i guess you guys dont get to see the new fangled coolness i have cooking for this thing.  The rotated motor is not the half of it  cheers

And yesm 3spd Hi-Lo and an 18hp opposed that runs brilliantly
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 12:25 pm

Welcome! Oregon to my understanding is probably the best state in the US to wheel in. Basically has every turrain out there. Craftsman II's are very strong, probally the strongest "modern" GT's out there. A grinder and a welder will help out a lot in mods. The rear axle in the GT can handle some nasty tires. Atv tires, posi, and some bumpers are great mods. Check the forum, and learn alot!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 1:18 pm

Welcome to ATLTF. You should be able to post pics using our own associated hosting. IIRC, you cannot drop links for 7 days. Have a look here- https://www.atltf.com/t1525-image-posting-for-new-members
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 2:47 pm

Welcome brother! The guys around here are a weath of info, just ask
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 3:17 pm

welcome to the fourm, are you in eastern OR, or western OR?
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitimeJanuary 2nd 2014, 7:04 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Welcome to ATLTF. You should be able to post pics using our own associated hosting. IIRC, you cannot drop links for 7 days. Have a look here- https://www.atltf.com/t1525-image-posting-for-new-members

Thanks, didnt know you guys had your own hosting.  Il reup my pics and edit up my thread so you guys can see what ive done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, cool to find a neat community   Hello, cool to find a neat community Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello, cool to find a neat community
Page 1 of 1