All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor

Go down 
+11
crafsmankiller
T-Dub13
redlinemotorsportts
Creepycrawler
Doc Sprocket
richie thomas
TheRainbowBoxer
1997 Murray
Doug
Lawren Wimberly
Krawler86
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Creepycrawler
Established Member

Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 4:12 pm

I regret to say I have to retract my previous statement. this happened yesterday to my buddys tractor  Sad 
breakage seems to have started exactly where you said it would, and then the pieces that broke off got wedged between the case and the bull gear. Now this hasnt happend to any wheel horse trannys, but they have 4 sets of gears instead of three. Sears owners beware, flipping gears for diff lock is bad news.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Null_zps626958bc
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 6:11 pm

ouch. Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_mad
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 7:53 pm

Ouch, that sucks.  I could definitely see an 8 planet set being way stronger than a 6 planet set.  You can have an even number of locked pairs per axle.  I wish mine had 8 planets, i would have definitely just flipped 2 pairs.

Chunks of crap getting between gears and blowing the halves apart is my 2nd biggest fear with this.  Im building a fatty skid for everything so the axle cant even think about touching anything hard.  But also installing the super strong neodymium 2in disk magnet into the case, if something like your buddies fails in mine, im hoping that magnet will at least give me a better than 0% chance of junk getting the gears.  

Anything that makes the chance of metal bouncing around in the trans after a failure less than 100%, im all over.  Even if the magnet gives me a 5% chance of making it back to camp without blowing up the case instead of 0%, its worth it in my book.

Plus now i can put some time into a neat little 4wd IFS Live axle leaf spring rear prerunner RC model ive been wanting to build.  Not much i can do right now sitting on my hands waiting for parts.  Im going for the look and performance of say an '86 Toy 4x4 got a torsion crank in the front, 2-3in lift leaves in the rear, 31s and took it out doing some light prerunner activities.  Not going to be some stupid 60mph hey look what this thing can do.  Thats not my thing.  I like to build small scale cars that look and more importantly drive like the real counterparts.  I want it to bounce an inch after landing from a 7in drop.  I love the scale bounce.  I want to hear the leaf springs creak, and break from a big jump.  Scale carnage is almost as cool as scale looks.

Last edited by Krawler86 on January 13th 2014, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 11:12 pm

Couple updates coming.  Ive just been playing with piddly little things like mounting tires, (who knew it was so easy) screw paying the local tire shop.  I had no idea that with the right technique and the right socks, i could get a Turf off and a Bearclaw on in about 15min.

Well one went that easy....

Since all my parts are scheduled to arrive the 16th-20th, all 3 orders, i am kind of stuck waiting.  On the way is
-5.75in Cast iron pulley
-6.25in cast iron pulley
-6x 1/2in ball joints for all the steering links
-21x7x8 Tao Tao front tires (china 4wheeler)
-2x Brand new OEM rear axle shafts for my transaxle.  Then i can have a broken one for fun, 1 spare to keep on hand.
-1 pair 1.5in aluminum wheel spacers from 4wheel parts 5 on 4.5.

So after i played with RC cars for a little while, i ended up turning a new purchased kit into something ive been wanting to build for a long time.  A realistic pro arena / tough truck.  I started with a Tamiya CC-01 chassis.  Independent A-arms in the front, and a 4link and coil suspension in the rear.  Very cool chassis.  I took my old original Tamiya F150 body that was released on a fully independent chassis but looked fantastic.  Just not a scale drivetrain. (im a nut for scale drivetrains). I just wish there was a decent way of doing radius arms and a TTB. Not with this chassis, someday maybe on a full custom.

So i ditched all the stock links in the rear of the CC-01 chassis, built some leaf spring hangers from a Tamiya Bruiser rear chassis brace and used Tamiya Bruiser rear leaf shackles cause they look sweet.  Leaf springs are the rear packs re-arched and modified from a Tamiya Scania R620 Topline Semi.

I used all Tamiya parts on purpose, as to further characterize this as a model Tamiya should have released but never did.  Plus i get a sweet truck to drive.  Going to set it up so it bounces and behaves like a slightly modded F150 getting beat to ***** in a tough truck race should bounce.

Sneak peak, since im not done yet.  Still need to build an interior and light it all up.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3112

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3113

Last edited by Krawler86 on January 13th 2014, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 11:30 pm

And now for a more tractor oriented update.  

I got my first rear tire mounted up.  Beads are not seated since my compressor is at my friends house.  But it went really easy, surprisingly easy.  Im getting good at dis whill n tar stuff.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3114

So then i started taking off my other Turf rear.  Something was off as soon as i started deflating it.  It was spitting like there was water or mud in the tire and not wanting to deflate all the way.  The valve stem was rotting and clogged, and i bought 4 new valve stems for my wheels anyways so i took some sidecutters and just nipped the stem.  It started machinegunning what looked exactly like rat turds all over my shirt, face, and hair, it was nasty.  When i cleaned up a bit and the tire finally was about at 0 it started oozing this yellowish goop out.  After i popped the beads, it started dripping and running down the sidewalls from everywhere.  It smelled like rotten lard, but was like seriously slippery.  Like bottle o lube slippery, and gooey.

This is the tire that came off the side that had the twisted splines on the shaft.  WTF happened to this side of the tractor??!!

The other tire was pristine clean and smelled like an old tire.  This one is full of nasty something.  It took a whole can of brake clean and 10 rags to get my wheel clean of all that nasty.  It didnt like to be cleaned off either.  Once it got into the rags, they were useless, and there was probably a liter of this crap in there.  

Anyone know what this stuff is?  Decomposing mud from a tire debead?  Assembly lube gone wrong?  Here it is before im about to turn on my shower and spray this thing with soap and just let it shower for a while.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3116

Also, il post it up in the for sale forum too.  But my original idea for front tires did not go as i had planned in my head.  So im selling these.  I paid $80 a tire.  They are DWT MXR V3s.  Il sell the pair for $80 plus shipping.  Im in NW Oregon.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3117
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2014, 8:16 pm

Parts day!  Well most my parts.  Everything but the 1 order i really want, the new rear shafts so i can build the transaxle.

My 2 new Iron pullies.  One will be the wheel drive, and one will be notched for pull rope in case i need it.  I just dont know which one will be which, they will be easy to change around, before i notch anything, il run both and whichever i like, il notch the other one.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3120

6 of these spherical joints.  1/2in ball id and 1/2in female thread shank.  And im flattening my 24inx52in Felpro gasket material roll for new gaskets all over the place.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3121

and front tires!  21x7x8.  I bought these with the tread sight unseen.  They are new, but the pic was of it on its side.  They are Wanda brand, for a Tao Tao 250cc 4wheeler.  The tread is actually pretty darn cool.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3123

Goes really well with the directional knobbies, the Bearclaws i have in the back.  Im pretty stoked other than the kind of odd pressure ratings.  205lbs @ 5psi...   12psi max to seat beads.  Seems really low, considering the tires are freekin rock hard too.  I weigh 140 and i had all my weight on a tire stood up with no rim, and it held me easily.  They must be relying on the carcass to hold the weight and not the air..  Weird.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3124

So i also noticed the front pivot has its travel limited quite a bit by the frame rails.  I noticed if i lifted the front an inch, as in spacing the axle bracked 1in away from the frame rails, i could gain significantly more articulation.  So i devised a lift kit for the front that when i went in to get the plastics cut, the whole thing cost $4.  Cant beat a $4 1in lift that increases articulation by 100%.

Heres where the axle is limited by the frame.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3126

What i want.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3129

Heres the lift.  3 pieces of 1in thick HDPE that il drill the mounting bracket holes through, and re-attach giving me the lift and far more axle travel.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3127

Mocked up, i have not drilled the holes yet.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3128

I plan on using the same material only in 3/8in for the whole belly skid.  But im not there yet, and the size i needed was out of my budget right now.  So i just got the front stuff and a couple pounds of scrap 1/2in stuff for fun.

Thats where im at right now.  Now its time to drill out the plastic and get the lift on.  I stuck the hood back on since i have front tires now and i can see how much i need to mod the hood to clear the tires and everything.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2014, 9:20 pm

Looking good, now wheres that pic of the hood and front tires on? bounce I may be addicted to tractor pics... Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2014, 9:36 pm

Dang..... man this will be a good rig! Those front tires have more tread and are the same size of my rear tires!  affraid Mines tiny Smile cheers dude cant wait for a roller. When i see a pic of it all together expect it to be on the ATLTF facebook page Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2014, 12:51 am

Creepycrawler wrote:
Looking good, now wheres that pic of the hood and front tires on? bounce I may be addicted to tractor pics... Very Happy 

I am too, theres no shame.

So i tried a little experiment. The slippery gooey junk that was in my left rear turf tire i was having trouble cleaning it out. So i decided to let it all pool at the bottom and dry for some days so i could just break it up and clean it easier. That didnt work. 4 days later and it as gooey and nasty as ever. I think i might just trash these tires, this stuff is no good.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3130

Thanks for the compliments. I took the pic of the front lift installed, well 99% installed. I bought 6 longer bolts for it, and i bought 5x3/8 and one of the same length but 5/16. So bummer. But 5/6 will hold just fine for now. And with the hood and these tires, it is seriously looking monstrous and a little bit nefarious. Like on a whim it might break into your house and pee on your rug.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3131

11-7/8in ground clearance.. woo Im thinking about widening the front axle by 1in either side. Not for sure, still thinking. Tires will clear no problem with some sheet metal cutting.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3132

Sort of an overview, still no rear metals or transaxle built yet. The rear is also sitting about 4in low from where it would actually sit. So should be fairly level, not bad.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3133
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2014, 2:13 pm

Yeahh BOY! That's a pretty stout looking machine. I can't wait to see it's progress. Good luck!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 18th 2014, 4:07 am

So i was super super stoked to open my door to find my last box. But my heart sank a little again when i picked it up, way too light. I opened it up to find one glorious new shaft...one. With a note that says the other was drop shipped from a different wharehouse. So i still cant build my transaxle... argh. At least i got what was promised, a brand new perfect shaft, now i just need the other, and for it to be in the same shape, then il be ear to ear.

Check this beauty out. I dont even want to run it, i just want to hang it on my wall.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3134
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:08 am

So after sulking for a little while about cutting up my axle, i decided to remedy the situation.  I cut it more.

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3135

Holy cow its narrow now.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3136

Big ass drill bit i bought for this project.  I had to buy 4 bits in total so i could effectively step up to the 1in.  My largest was 1/2in.  I know from previous drilling, it chatters like a mofo if you try to take too much with one press unless you have a big beasty drill press.  Mine is a beast, but a desktop cast iron sized beast.  At least it has the 1/2in chuck to take the bits.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3137

Heres my new front axle "core", replacing the craftsman one.  I got this piece of 2x3 i think it is, 1/8in wall single seam welded box tubing.  Way beefier than the stamped and stitch welded every 6in like the stock unit.  I just dont have the 1in ID tube that runs through the center to hold the bushing better.  But im not concerned, the bushing is tight between the mounts and the axle floats with the stock setup, and its located rotationally by the channel it sits in.  This, new axle being taller will decrease articulation a little, but should provide much more strength expecially when a tire is fully extended and hits a rock to climb.  Also since its wider in general, more force.

Its 10in wider than stock.  31in top of spindle to top of spindle instead of 21in.  Much less metal cutting to clear the tires, and it should look badass with the wheel spacers im putting on the back.  Im growing this tractor larger in all directions.  
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3138

I also picked up 2 14in long 1x1/5in solid rectangle stock, since i dont have a welder, i decided to make another bolt on affair, like with my front lift.  The solid, once persuaded with force into the end spindles, il get it flush and level and drill probably 3 holes through the whole axle and bolt it with 3 gr8 bolts.  Then on the axle side, probably 3 or 4.  Stronger tubing "sleeved"
internally with 1x1.5 solid should be heavy, but pretty dang strong.  Il need to fab up some spindle braces too to have my friend weld up for me, i dont think i could make those bolt on.

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3139

Heres how it will look, but the solid on top will obviously be inside the axle tube.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3140

Will extend all the way to the spindle bushing on the inside for the best strength.

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3142
Im really glad i decided to do this.  The narrow front trac was bugging the crap out of me, and i was thinking of ways to get an inch here or there, so to hell with the stock narrowness, i need wider!  So heres my new front axle.  All i have to do is drill it up and bolt it together but unfortunately its too late to run the drill press anymore in here, and today the running gear in my '81 Toyota pickup catastrophically failed.

I wish it was here, id take a couple pics for you guys.  It got towed to my moms since it was free to her house with her AAA, or cash to tow to my place.  She lives just a few min from me so it was a no brainer.  But basically i guess someone thought it would be funny to lock in my front hubs while i was parked at home depot out in oregon city.  I have a Loc-rite in the front and 5.29s in the axles.  Open rear since its my daily, and i hate lockers on the street.  Ive owned most available, and the autos (detroit, loc-rite, tru-trac) those are all total bs on the street in a light mini truck.  

If anyone is not familiar with auto lockers, they drive one tire, whichever is the hardest to drive until it slips, then some cams and junk engage to lock the 2 wheels together, then when you regain traction or let off throttle, they "unlock", sometimes with loud pops and ka-pows that sound like you blew the rear end out.  But its all part of it.  

So anyways, someone locked in my hubs, and i didnt check before i got in to drive home, i mean who would?  I pull out and i notice some ticking (ratcheting when 1 tire turns faster than the other but not under load) but my tires rub the mudflaps a little so i didnt think about it.  I go to get on the freeway, accelerate up the ramp and i get pulled a little into a rut and go to compensate, and the front lockrite locks together pulling me hard into the rut, then lets go with such a violent shock, it twisted the front pinion shaft off which locked my front axle dead bound and i go into a front wheel skid at about 40 with no control.  Luckily heading to the side of the road.  Meantime i dont notice that while im bouncing and skidding, im still in 4th with my foot bouncing off and on the go pedal and all of a sudden crunch and the revs go to the moon.  And about 5 secconds later im skidded to a stop mostly off the road.  Front driveline with the crush sleeve and most of a bearing are hanging 3in out and down from where they should go into the 3rd member.  4 studs were pulled out of the housing on the bottom and a 2 finger sized hole was cracked out the bottom of the front 3rd member.  My rear driveline was laying on the ground with a busted axle side u-joint and was leaking oil out the pinion shaft... thats new.  I grab the shaft and wiggle it, and the whole thing comes out in 1 piece and the rear pinion is missing 3.5 teeth.  3rd member carrier was cracked, bearings done, ring gear done.

So my pickup is essentially totalled.  A $800 beater 1st gen Toy with $2000 in running gear destroyed is pretty much a scrap heap minus the brakes, axle shafts and engine+g series 5 speed and new clutch i put in last year.  But suck.  I dont know how motivated im going to be in the coming weeks, since now i dont even have a way to get my traptor out of the city now.  My only other car is a project, wireless '80 Diesel Rabbit, that i could find a tiny utility trailer for and tow the Craftsman, but damnit, i love Toyotas, I love 4x4 Toyotas even more, and i really love '79-83 4x4 Toyotas...  Its been a dream of mine since i was 10 to have one, at least i got a good year and a half out of it... But im going to miss having 3 shifters, the ability to toss it in the ditch in the snow and drive myself out.

I wonder if my warn M8000 would be too much for the tractor?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:27 am

That ***** sucks about your truck man, is be furious! Someone thinking its funny to screw with it and end up blowing the axles out. Even if you had all the parts that a long time fixing it. Ugh some people. Nice work on the front axle, should help with steering and tire clearances with those big ol 21's.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 9:53 am

Go to Home depot asap and ask if they have security cameras for the parking lot. Get the cops involved too. That kind of stuff gets me so mad! I'm mad for you bro! If I were you, I'd be out for blood.

Anyway nice front axle (on the tractor that is) lol. You can cut the bushing out of the old axle and put it in the new one... might buy you some time and less maintenance....

Good luck with both vehicles...  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 12:27 am

T-Dub13 wrote:
Go to Home depot asap and ask if they have security cameras for the parking lot.  

That was my first thought, but the Oregon city one has a huge lot and they dont have cameras. I think im going to just have to cut my losses and part the truck until the good bits are gone, then haul it to the scrapper. If that is the case, im robbing every interior trinkit and detail and dash and everything for use in the tractor. Shift knobs, headlights, wiring, e-brake cables.

Il probably take the thirds out and save the ground to bits gears just as a souvineer. R/P gears are cool.

Heres some pics for kicks. Since my rig was parked at my moms, i also have a project 1980 VW Diesel rabbit that i thought id start up and at least have something for short errands. Its a wiring mess, nothing works, so its not street legal. All that works is the starter motor, and the 3 pedals + st wheel. You have to manually light the plugs with a wire from the batt to the plug ground rail, then run inside and crank it up. Also, the fuel shutoff solenoid for engine kill is manual as well. So you pull up somewhere, leave it idling, you can keyoff and take the key out. You have to pop the hood and undo an alligator clip wire i rigged up that when disconnected, kills fuel. Its a silly thing to drive, but damn does it purr and drive / ride like a freeking cadillac compared to my Toy. Just needs a longer truck style shifter.  afro 

Heres my oil burner, oh how id love to drop this motor in a Farmall Cub size tractor.... I love these 1.5d motors.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3143

So heres what i took of my pickup.

Driveline in the bed.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3144

Last i checked, the front pinion shaft isnt supposed to look like this. The more i look at all this inside and broken pieces and gouges and scratches on everything. Im thinking instead of the shock load killing the gears, im thinking they wasted the bearings and then everything just went up in smoke, blender style. My axles did smoke for about 20 min after the incident, and i burned my finger on the front third when i first got a look at it under there.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3145

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3146

I think theres also supposed to be a pinion shaft and 4 bolt flange here, must be some new fangled black hole drive. Looks empty.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3147

Oh wait, i think this thing is supposed to go in there.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3148

Whatever failed first, the decoupling here was certainly of a violent nature.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3149

After the shaft in the rear seperated, the pinion im guessing fell down and got jammed downward by the rear carrier. I dont know what else would have busted out the bottom of the 3rd member housing like this.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3150

Using my iCharger 3010B to charge up my Optima red top, back when red tops were actually a good product. I had it in my pickup because of the M8000 winch, but i figured a good new home would be cranking over my little oil burner. It works fantastic, surprisingly fantastic as you can see in my video il post below. The day before i charged the Exide that was in there, That Exide was new as of 8 months ago. I lit the plugs and cranked it exactly how i did with the red top, and i cranked and tried literally until the battery completely gave up. No more. I deep cycled mt Optima with my Icharger, 20amp discharge, 27amp charge, just to make sure it was up and ready for the task at hand. I could have cycled it faster, it took about 2.2 hours to drain and 2 hours to charge. I can charge faster (50amps) but my 12v PSU is only a 30amp, so any more than 27 into anything greater than PSU output voltage starts to overload the supply and the voltage drops.
Heres getting close to the end, amperage starts to slowly decrease, down to 23amps.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3151

My medium amperage charging setup. (4-28amps)
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3152

Alright, back to work on the tractor, since that will make me happy. Sitting around and brooding over my pickup does noone any good. Turns out i cut the hole 1in off center. So off with an inch of the box tubing. The old fashioned way of course.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3153

Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Img_3154

Perfect. Now i can start my pattern drilling. I picked up hordes of flanged, shoulder gr8 bolts for all the hardware in the front axle. Same with washers and flanged gr8 nuts. Its some sexy hardware. Makes the regular silver stuff look like zip ties.

Off to drill 16 holes, 3/8in through 1.5in total thickness solid steel. I hope i have enough bits and oil. This material just melts and wastes the point on regular TiNitride coated stuff. Should give the front a very tough look, flat black axle with shining gold flanged grade 8 hardware.

Press time, before it gets too late, maybe i can at least bet my pilots done.
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 12:31 am

I forgot to post up my video.  My first youtube video.  I did a cold start of my '80 Rabbit, and complained about an Exide battery being a heap of crap.  Sounds like youtube to me.  Here it is.  Its weird hearing and seeing myself.

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 7:07 am

I'm suprised by the fact you didn't break a half shaft, or a t case, but instead broke a freakin pinion in half. Wow.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 9:41 am

Cool little rabbit!  That yoke looks as if it were fatiguing for quite a while before it finally broke.  Maybe that's just because of the dirt on it though...   Wink

I used to be an ARMY Mechanic and worked on a lot of Diesels especially 2-1/2 and 5 ton trucks. The wiring harnesses were simple. I'm betting that you could do your own wiring harness for that Rabbit easy enough to get a safety sticker. Lights etc... Not much more complicated than a LT!  Cool Wink 
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2014, 8:12 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
Cool little rabbit!  That yoke looks as if it were fatiguing for quite a while before it finally broke.  Maybe that's just because of the dirt on it though...   Wink

It certainly could have been fatigued, considering my truck is on 5.29s, locked and on 35in bfgs.  Its been through just about every trail at browns camp less the crusher loops, barrel raced a few times at the fair, pulled the street stock 4x4 class at the fair a few years, and is on its 2nd 5speed, 3rd total trans, and 2nd t-case, plus being daily driven.  It also got hot before it let go, because it came out smoking.  I dropped it in a mud puddle that happened to be close and it sizzled in there for a bit.  Thats why its caked with dried dirt.  But previous fatigue is a real possibility.

Its not like it only sees 29in tires, open diffs and city cruises.

After owning this (below), and being able to just idle everywhere i wanted, wheelin was alot less fun.  So my 1981 truck went most the places my "old" 94 Toy went, just with more fun and tire spin and bouncing.  Made for a more fun experience, rather than just go hey, "lets hit can opener", then i watch everyone full throttling and popping wheelies and bouncing around rocks and gettin on it, and just makin it up to the top.  Then i shift into Lo-Lo-2nd and idle up the hard line without spinning a tire.  It was a fun truck, but too capable to make the local wheelin spots any challenge.  Now Bend, christ on a cracker, that place is insane.  Not many places you can have a 381:1 first gear and let the clutch out at 2k and kill the motor.  Bend is a drivetrain serial killer.
The 1994
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 807552370210_0_ALB
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 596552370210_0_ALB

The 1981 right after i got it.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_2246_zpsd4e9d8e6

T-Dub13 wrote:
Cool little rabbit!    The wiring harnesses were simple.  I'm betting that you could do your own wiring harness for that Rabbit easy enough to get a safety sticker.  Lights etc...  
Thanks.

I could definitely wire up something that works, its just i kind of want to save up and put in a new factory harness. This rabbit doesnt look like much cosmetically, rust and whatnot (though its all only surface rust), its actually a neat little gem in the rough. Interior is all complete and good except for a few dash cracks.

The kicker is only 83k original miles, and im the 2nd owner. It has not been on the road or registered since 1991, and the rear tires are still the factory originals. Also being a Rabbit C, 1980 4 door, Mountain Green was only offered on this exact car in 1980. So its a rare color too. If i got it painted factory color and got in a factory harness, this car could be worth some decent bucks.

Anyways, back to tractor stuff.  I have many holes to drill.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 11:25 am

I love your old yoter, always wanted a first gen. have you thought of just scoring some open 4;10 junkyard diffs to get ya back on the road?
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 11:45 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i agree withh him, find some ford 4.10's to put on it.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 4:00 pm

ford? ewww lol Jk no I mean factory toyota 4;10 third members, easy peasy just toss them in the existing housings
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 6:52 pm

crafsmankiller wrote:
find some ford 4.10's to put on it.

Ford stuff wouldnt work.  Spicer axles put the diff carrier and pinion in through the rear cover in 2 pieces, Toyotas use a standalone 3rd member that plops into the housing.  The only Ford product with a nodular 3rd was the 9in.

I have a feeling this truck has seen its end times, at least with me behind the wheel.  I dont really have the money to fix it back up unless i go the cheap route with a 4.10 third, if it even will go in the rear housing.  It looks like the studs on the bottom and the mating surface moved and warped.  The rear housing might just be trash.  Plus, man alive does it suck on 35s with stock gearing.  It basically takes my nice G56 5spd and turns it back into the crapass 4sd again.  5th is useless, and you can go like 35 in 2nd.  Its dumb.

I wouldnt want to risk that housing being tweaked, so if i put new gear under there, il find an IFS truck (>1985) rear housing to swap in.  3in wider, thicker axle tubes and bigger brakes.  

I think im done wheelin 4x4s though.  Ive been on all the trails with a variety of rigs, ive had so many 4x4s its stupid.  This 81 is my 5th Toyota, ive had 3 samurais, 2 subarus and a couple VWs.  Im kind of tired of always screwing with my daily driver.  I think i just want a decent little pickup to carry my tractor, and il be happy.  The whole reason i built the tractor is because ive done all the 4x4 trails and the quad trails look fun, and theres more quad trails than 4x4 trails.

Alright, i need to take pics.  Im about 2 holes from being done completely with my new front axle.  I need to just get on it.  Switching focus from dead 4x4s to up and coming tractors Smile
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2014, 10:11 pm

Woohoo, front axle is done and looks super badass. With all the solid material and the new tougher box tube center, im not really worried about bending the front axle anymore. Pushing into rocks to climb and bobbling along feilds of bowling balls and crossing deep ruts would have probably eventually bent the crap out of the front housing. Plus it adds decent weight down low and in the front. Better COG. The new front axle probably weighs a good 50lbs with the spindles on.

Outers with internal mounts prepped for drilling and mounting to the new center.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_3174_zps2dc91908

Got the stock axle pivot bushing mounted. It was a perfect light interference fit with my 1in hole.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_3175_zps2ded35b7

One side done.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_3176_zps0b0efb4b

Axle done and ready to mount. 9in wider overall, 4.5 per side.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_3177_zps72e3ff6f

Makes a big difference! Now i can leave all the cool tractor sheet metal, and clear the tall tires, and feel more confident when i get crazy off camber.
Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 IMG_3178_zps0fb80fb8

Now, if only my 2nd axle shaft would come. Today was the end of the delivery window given by the company, and i still only have 1 with an invoice that says 1 was shipped from somewhere else but on the same day. I really want the rear to be sitting on its tires, no longer on a milk crate.
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2014, 5:05 pm

Well im stuck sitting here twiddling my thumbs.  My other shaft has still has not shown up.  The shipping window i recieved was 1-16 through 1-22 by 8pm.  I got one on the 16th.  I sat here waiting and waiting, nothing else has shown up by the 26th.  I bought them on Amazon from a parts dealer.  The shipping info from Amazon was UPS with no tracking, shipping from the company that was sending them confirmed my order, gave me the same shipping window only said it was by fed-ex with no tracking.

I finally emailed amazon and the company on the 26th asking when il get my 2nd shaft. IMO they should have never been split into 2 boxes in the first place since they were listed as in stock, and still listed in stock with more than 5 available.

I got a reply yesterday that said they werent shipping the 2nd shaft until 1-31.  I never got any notice or anything saying the other would be so freeking late.  All i got was a notice that the 2nd was coming from a different wharehouse, but since i got the first on the 16th, i assumed i was going to get the 2nd by the 22nd.

So im stuck here, it will not even ship for 2 more days, and who knows where its coming from.

I mean, thats some crappy shipping and handling.  If i didnt inquire 2 days late, i would have never even known the 2nd one would be 2-3 weeks late.  This is seriously annoying, i have not touched my tractor in a week because i need to fit the belt to get to any of my next steps.  And wont see the shaft for probably a week or more considering its shipping on a friday...

Shipping was freeking $77....
 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702 Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 2429134702
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2014, 5:30 pm

I feel your pain. Been waiting for some big parts for my mtd (ordered 2 weeks ago) and they say the package hasnt even been processed yet. Fortunately i need to order more parts before i can use these but its seriously annoying.

Ugh. Bout to start yellin' =`w`=
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor   Craftsman GT II  My first AT Tractor - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman GT II My first AT Tractor
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next