All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin

Go down 
+3
Craftsman1998
TheRainbowBoxer
Dipshaw87
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Empty
PostSubject: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:20 pm

i need some serious help re wiring my vanguard vtwin. there are so may wires for saftey switches and wires i just dont need. how do i wirre it up to start, shutoff, and charge my battery?
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:26 pm

There is a diagram in the thread right above this one... Anything specific that you are not seeing?

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:30 pm

yes i havent had an exact answer to my problem. ive looked at wiring diagrams online but they always seem to complicated for me to figure out. is there just an easy way of wiring it up just to run shut off and charge the battery? ive seen wiring diagrams on the single cyl briggs and it looks easy but i have a voltage regulator on my motor. so im stumped.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:32 pm

Use the diagrams online and just ignore everything other than the kill wire and the charge wire. Make sure you tape everything off that is not connected though. Don't want to make sparks or let any magic smoke out!

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:35 pm

thanks ill try it! but my next question is what do i do about the voltage regulator? i have no lights on my rig and im getting rid of all the saftey switches. is there really any use for the voltage reg?
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:44 pm

Look at the wiring diagram on the internet that's your best bet lol I donn't know a lot about wiring.
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 9:48 pm

ill trace the wires from the voltage regulator to see where they go and if i dont need them ill just disconnect it. ill try and do my best thanks guys for the tips! afro 
Back to top Go down
Tyler Vanderwege
Tyler Vanderwege

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 11:47 pm

Personally, I just run a hot wire from positive battery terminal to one solenoid post and a line from the other post to the starter nut. Then either a momentary switch or push button between the terminals. Make sure it's a decently large gauge of wire to carry your current. Then if you have accessories you can either run them off of your charging wire coming from under your flywheel. Or splice them into your hot battery wire.
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 11:50 pm

That's a good idea. I'll do that but I'm still stumped on what to do with the voltage regulator :/ idk whether to disconnect it or keep it lol
Back to top Go down
Tyler Vanderwege
Tyler Vanderwege

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 11:56 pm

Dipshaw87 wrote:
That's a good idea. I'll do that but I'm still stumped on what to do with the voltage regulator :/ idk whether to disconnect it or keep it lol

I think that's to keep from frying stuff and things. I've never had one and if I did, well I don't anymore. I'd pull it and hold onto it. But don't hold me to it doing nothing. All an engine needs to run is air fuel and spark. If it got air going in the intake, fuel filling the bowl and the starter spinning they flywheel to to give the stator spark you should be golden.
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 8th 2014, 11:59 pm

Ok thanks I think ill trace the wires and see where they go and go from there and if I need to I'll pull it and save it for another rig. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2014, 9:32 am

You should keep you regulator in the system because it was designed to be regulated. The wire from the alternator plugs into the regulator. Then the regulator output (usually red or black wire with red or white plastic plug) runs to the positive side of the starter solenoid. This will charge your batter and keep it happy. Wink 

Sounds like the only other things you need are a starting circuit and a kill switch.  Cool 
Back to top Go down
fr

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2014, 10:36 am

I had a opposing twin b&s engine that fryed got a new 22 hp vtwin don't know where the wires go it has a different plug in can anyone help ?
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2014, 12:46 pm

fr wrote:
I had a opposing twin b&s engine that fryed got a new 22 hp vtwin don't know where the wires go it has a different plug in can anyone help ?

Hi fr! Welcome to the forum!

If you start your own thread, and include some pictures of both engines, it would likely result in better responses.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin   wiring - need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need help re wiring 18 hp briggs vanguard vtwin
Page 1 of 1