All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Empty
PostSubject: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2014, 11:24 pm

I need help wiring up a tach for my mtd. I know that the red wire goes to the positive of the battery and negative to chassis but since I have a vtwin it has 2 magnetos and they're wired together. Do I splice into one of the kill wires or just splice into both to get a reading on the tach?
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 4:01 am

https://www.atltf.com/t2387-briggs-alternator-specifications-identifier

How I did mine here: Not in depth, but it's real easy and should be the same on the V-twin, use the wire going to the light, pure AC wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnUmeB0ZR3M

Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 5:07 am

i used a sunpro tinytach 2 and i used the 8cyl setting and tapped into the killwire for both coils and it worked for me now for you it depends jsut remeber all these engines max out at 3600rpm so try the 4cyl 6cyl and 8cyl setting and what ever is closer use that setting now mine was dead on 3600rpm
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 8:34 am

I think I'm gonna get a sunpro tach cause the one I got now is an iequus tach and I can't get the darn thing to work lol I tried hooking it up to both kill wires and it tachs out past 8 grand at idle.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2014, 1:17 pm

Try hooking it to only one coil kill wire and set it on 4 cyl setting. Vtwins are actually firing the coils 2 times per cycle. Your tach is readin well over twice the rpms of the motor, unless you have removed the governor and are seriously over-revving. Hooking up to only one lead will get ya close

The sunpro mini tach is set up for small engines, and is very adjustable, but you CAN make others work and get them close. DOC Sprocket and I are collaborating on a write up on the subject as we speak.

There are a lot of variables involved

How the tach itself is constructed (I.E. how many pulses is the tach "Looking for" each rev)

is the motor 2 cycle or 4

is the motor 1 or 2 cyl

does the motor's coil ONLY fire on the compression cycle, or does it use the "Lost Spark" method, and fire on the exhaust cycle too.

We'll cover all these things and some solutions in the write up

Last edited by Lawren Wimberly on January 13th 2014, 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 5:27 pm

I have tried splicing into one of the kill wires from the coil and didn't work and I've tried connecting into both and it didn't read at all so I'm stumped
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 5:29 pm

Dipshaw87 wrote:
I have tried splicing into one of the kill wires from the coil and didn't work and I've tried connecting into both and it didn't read at all so I'm stumped

Not the kill wire, but the light source AC wire.
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 5:37 pm

I have a plug that runs out from under the flywheel and it connects to a voltage regulator then a red wire runs from there to the solenoid to recharge the battery where do I hook it up at?
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 5:59 pm

Is that where I need to hook up the signal wire?
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 6:02 pm

I've also heard about wrapping the signal wire around the spark plug wire but I don't think that it would be a very reliable connection
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 6:54 pm

That will give a better connection than you think... the HV pulse will cause a magnetic flux field that induces a current in the conductor lead from the tach. as long as the wire is secured to the plug wire (duct tape works fine) it'll pick up. Remember, it's probably firing once per rev
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 7:16 pm

So I should wrap the signal wire around the plug wire a bunch of times then tape it and it'll work?
Back to top Go down
Dipshaw87
Dipshaw87

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2014, 7:28 pm

And does it matter which plug I tape it to?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin   wire - How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I wire up a tach to a vanguard vtwin
Page 1 of 1