All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I check if I'm getting spark?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

How do I check if I'm getting spark? Empty
PostSubject: How do I check if I'm getting spark?   How do I check if I'm getting spark? Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2010, 4:54 pm

I have a craftsman 19.5hp turbo cool Briggs and Stratton twin cylinder motor...I was just wondering how to check if I have spark on both cylinders and to make sure both piston's are moving? Any tricks? It just sounds different since I have been plowing with it.. Not really a noticeable loss in power.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I check if I'm getting spark?   How do I check if I'm getting spark? Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2010, 8:56 pm

For spark - pull off both of the plug wires , use the plug and hold it against a clean ground/ or the motor and crank the motor over( so it doesnt start on you) - you should see a bright blue spark when it fires ( and or a shock) .

To see if the pistons are moving- while the plugs are out - use a small screwdriver and poke it into the combustion chamber and touch the piston , hand cycle the motor over- and you should see the screw driver move back and forth- if it doesnt, then the rod is broke.

Twin cylenders will run with one broken rod.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How do I check if I'm getting spark?   How do I check if I'm getting spark? Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2010, 9:10 pm

So take spark plug out and touch it to your tounge while the engine is running.. Then to see if the pistons are moving toss some stones in the piston chamber and see if they fly out.. Got it lol lol! I do the same thing but I was wondering if there was a way if you could use a dmm meter or something....

Yes it will run with a broken rod but wouldnt you hear it banging around in there?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I check if I'm getting spark?   How do I check if I'm getting spark? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I check if I'm getting spark?
Page 1 of 1