All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.

Go down 
+5
1997 Murray
Doc Sprocket
Doug
redlinemotorsportts
Murray modder
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Doug
Site Owner

Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:41 pm

I kept mine. Swag.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:42 pm

Yup- oil pressure sender. Depending on the OEM application, it could have fed a gauge, a warning light, or served as a low-oil safety shutdown. You can simply choose NOT to use it. No trickery at all.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:45 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Yup- oil pressure sender. Depending on the OEM application, it could have fed a gauge, a warning light, or served as a low-oil safety shutdown. You can simply choose NOT to use it. No trickery at all.
So, Unhook it, and it's over?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:50 pm

Yep!
Back to top Go down
Khal03
Khal03

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2014, 11:47 pm

I know this is way after the fact, but I figure others might see this too while chasing a similar problem.

Please understand, I am in no way trying to counter Doc. I respect his level of knowledge, yet I have a different opinion.

With respect to the green wire for the low oil shutdown: the only thing I ever remove this from is Harbor Freight Predator engines we build for go-karts. If we blow one up, it only costs a hundred dollars to get a brand new one.

If it were me, that wire would be wired into my system so as to retain it's original function. Like the OP said, V-Twins don't come cheap or easy, and that sensor is cheap insurance should you run her low on oil or starve the bottom end some other way.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2014, 6:40 am

You are certainly entitled to your opinion!

I generally think it goes without saying, but maybe I should say it anyways- I check oil on all my engines religiously, and so should everyone else. Since I do, I have no problem defeating the low-oil shutdown systems. Whether y'all decide to keep yours intact or not, the absolute BEST policy is to do exactly what the manual suggests- check your oil before operation. Every time. Frankly, things break, things screw up. Your low-oil shutdown system could too. Check the oil as a matter of habit.
Back to top Go down
TokyoDrift99
TokyoDrift99

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2014, 7:32 am

I agree with Khal03, my Cub Cadet grass cutter has a v twin and even though I paid no attention to the "low oil" light on the dash it actually was low on oil, REAL low maybe a a pint and a half. When we drained it last weekend we Found that the oil filter had been unscrewed slightly and pissed oil EVERYWHERE. It survived all summer on low oil. The same thing could happen when you are driving and you would loose your oil, plus be left with an expensive paperweight when the engine seizes. You don't need to keep the sensor, but I would and that is just my $0.02.

Believe me, after that incident I check oil before, during, and after using my lawn mowers!
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 13th 2014, 8:24 am

my kohler Vtwin burns oil feruiously so i have gotten in the habit of checking it very often. its a good habit to get into
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.   briggs - Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs and STratton Vtwin Electrical.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2