All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!
 
PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog inCountdown Timer
Swing by the Chatroom anytime! Next Chat Event - 12/16/2017 @ 8:00pm EST .
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum!
Voting for the 2017 Build-Off is now a go! Click Here to cast your stone!
The prize list has been finalized! Check out what's up for grabs by clicking here!
The new 2017 ATLTF stickers are in! View them here, and order yours while they're hot!
We now have a Discord chat server! Contact Doug for an invite link!

Share | 
 

 craftsman mudder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fetters18
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2010-12-18
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : ohio

PostSubject: craftsman mudder   Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

i have a craftsman lawn mower with blaster tires and i use it for mudding and climbing hills i just put a 8hp briggs and stration and it wont start does anyone now whats wrong with it scratch
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 am

@fetters18 wrote:
i have a craftsman lawn mower with blaster tires and i use it for mudding and climbing hills i just put a 8hp briggs and stration and it wont start does anyone now whats wrong with it scratch

does it turn over? is it getting spark? is it getting gas? if all are true does if have compression? if not you may need new rings. we need more info to help you
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Age : 47
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 1726
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida, USA

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:39 am

Check the inline fuse to the ign switch from the battery ( thats for a no response turn of the key) - use a wrench and tap both starter solenoid terminals- if it cranks, then its a bad solenoid.

Could be a bad ign switch, check the battery voltage, bad starter - any bunch of things wrong.
Back to top Go down
fetters18
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 20
Join date : 2010-12-18
Posts : 59
Forum Rep : 0
Location : ohio

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:11 am

it gets gas , it has copression and spark
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:19 am

check the wiring and then double check it again! personally ive never had many problems with wiring but i know wires are sometimes the cause is there any noise when it turns over (AKA you can here the fuel igniting) make sure all the safety swiches are pressed down, there is usually one on the seat one for the brake/clutch and another for the deck blade clutch, on a RER (rear engined rider) its usually on the clutch/brake and built into the gearbox to make sure it starts in neutral. sorry for being patronizing but you really have to check everything.

If none of the above works take the sparkplug out and put a long screw driver into the chamber, then turn it of with your hands and see if the piston move out and in, check the oil level and make sure it doesn't smell of petrol, after all that try putting some stater fluid into the chamber to start it. I am also Presuming you have a starter motor not a pulley - rope setup like i have.

make sure the carb is below the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tap is on, im being patronizing again but u HAVE to check every little thing,and if it STILL doesn't work after all that clean the carb out and check the gasket round that seals it to the engine, mine was cracked so it allowed air in after the carb so there was to much air going into the chamber, meaning that it simply wouldn't combust.

check the battery charge and make Sure you are getting spark. hope something works!
P.S try a brand new sparkplug my mini quad wouldnt start with the old sparkplug even though it got spark.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:15 pm

bigbleuboy wrote:
check the wiring and then double check it again! personally ive never had many problems with wiring but i know wires are sometimes the cause is there any noise when it turns over (AKA you can here the fuel igniting) make sure all the safety swiches are pressed down, there is usually one on the seat one for the brake/clutch and another for the deck blade clutch, on a RER (rear engined rider) its usually on the clutch/brake and built into the gearbox to make sure it starts in neutral. sorry for being patronizing but you really have to check everything.

If none of the above works take the sparkplug out and put a long screw driver into the chamber, then turn it of with your hands and see if the piston move out and in, check the oil level and make sure it doesn't smell of petrol, after all that try putting some stater fluid into the chamber to start it. I am also Presuming you have a starter motor not a pulley - rope setup like i have.

make sure the carb is below the fuel tank, make sure the fuel tap is on, im being patronizing again but u HAVE to check every little thing,and if it STILL doesn't work after all that clean the carb out and check the gasket round that seals it to the engine, mine was cracked so it allowed air in after the carb so there was to much air going into the chamber, meaning that it simply wouldn't combust.

check the battery charge and make Sure you are getting spark. hope something works!
P.S try a brand new sparkplug my mini quad wouldnt start with the old sparkplug even though it got spark.

good tips, my mower wouldnt start so i bought her a new plug and she started right up. if the gas is really old i would drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:19 pm

thanks i just hope one of them works! LOL
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Age : 47
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 1726
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida, USA

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Fetters18: So it turns over then - diagnosing issues is a bit hard w/o information..... in addition to other suggestions- check the flywheel key - if it snapped, itll crank all day long with spark, gas and compression .
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 pm

@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Fetters18: So it turns over then - diagnosing issues is a bit hard w/o information..... in addition to other suggestions- check the flywheel key - if it snapped, it'll crank all day long with spark, gas and compression .
well it would have spark but not gas or compression because its not turning the crankshaft just the flywheel no gas is getting sucked in or compression being made
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Apprentice
Apprentice
avatar

Age : 23
Join date : 2010-10-03
Posts : 170
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:28 pm

JareeB wrote:
@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Fetters18: So it turns over then - diagnosing issues is a bit hard w/o information..... in addition to other suggestions- check the flywheel key - if it snapped, it'll crank all day long with spark, gas and compression .
well it would have spark but not gas or compression because its not turning the crankshaft just the flywheel no gas is getting sucked in or compression being made

youll sure as hell know it if its spinning just the flywheel, plus i have NEVER seen that
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 pm

theboredredneck wrote:
JareeB wrote:
@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Fetters18: So it turns over then - diagnosing issues is a bit hard w/o information..... in addition to other suggestions- check the flywheel key - if it snapped, it'll crank all day long with spark, gas and compression .
well it would have spark but not gas or compression because its not turning the crankshaft just the flywheel no gas is getting sucked in or compression being made

youll sure as hell know it if its spinning just the flywheel, plus i have NEVER seen that
same here i dont know how you could even break a flywheel key
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Grand Master
Grand Master
avatar

Age : 47
Join date : 2010-02-10
Posts : 1726
Forum Rep : 0
Location : Florida, USA

PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:51 am

Ive seen it - i had a 5HP briggs RER dynamark, i bot it with a broken flywheel key, had gas, compression, spark BUT it sucked air in the muffer and spit gas out the carb - was 180 degrees out of time- the flywheel and crank still turned together at same time- when a flywheel key breaks, it doesnt loosen the flywheel/crank nut, the flywheel just spins enough to break the key when the end of the crank stops- called inertia . If you bolt a flywheel down w/o a flywheel key at all, itll still turn together like it had one, till you put a load on the motor. Thats why when a flywheel is pulled off you hear a 'bang' .

The flywheel mounts on the tapered end of the crank to create a 'press fit' - it wont spin freely unless the crank nut hasnt been tightened properly. Thats the purpose of the flywheel key is to protect the motor if the crank hits something hard- or supposed to anyway.

I also had a 14.5HP OHV briggs that kept snapping flywheel keys due to an internal problem- it didnt even run, just cranking it over snapped the keys.

Flywheel keys are only made of a lightweight material to shear if needed. So yes, ive seen it happen.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:51 pm

@dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Ive seen it - i had a 5HP briggs RER dynamark, i bot it with a broken flywheel key, had gas, compression, spark BUT it sucked air in the muffer and spit gas out the carb - was 180 degrees out of time- the flywheel and crank still turned together at same time- when a flywheel key breaks, it doesnt loosen the flywheel/crank nut, the flywheel just spins enough to break the key when the end of the crank stops- called inertia . If you bolt a flywheel down w/o a flywheel key at all, itll still turn together like it had one, till you put a load on the motor. Thats why when a flywheel is pulled off you hear a 'bang' .

The flywheel mounts on the tapered end of the crank to create a 'press fit' - it wont spin freely unless the crank nut hasnt been tightened properly. Thats the purpose of the flywheel key is to protect the motor if the crank hits something hard- or supposed to anyway.

I also had a 14.5HP OHV briggs that kept snapping flywheel keys due to an internal problem- it didnt even run, just cranking it over snapped the keys.

Flywheel keys are only made of a lightweight material to shear if needed. So yes, ive seen it happen.

yeah i see
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: craftsman mudder   

Back to top Go down
 
craftsman mudder
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» craftsman mudder
» 1985 craftsman mudder
» radio hood scoop/ dashboard
» Kevin's Unnamed Extreme Craftsman Mudder
» Craftsman trail Mudder

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road/Rally Tractor Project & Builds-
Jump to: