All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Variable-speed pulley

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TractorRat
TractorRat

Variable-speed pulley Empty
PostSubject: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2014, 10:37 pm

So I have an '04 Huskee by MTD with the 26-hp OHV twin engine and the Hi-Lo-Reverse transaxle using a stock variable-speed drive pulley setup. Speed isn't my biggest concern, torque and traction offroad is. I'm primarily building my tractor to get me over rough terrain for hunting and accessing the rougher areas on my farm. Any ideas for making this happen? I'm swapping in some better ATV offroad tires to start with, but any ideas from the more experienced builders would be welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2014, 2:08 am

son, that mower has twice the power it needs. The only thing I'd change, for your stated intended application, would be better tires (size upgrade up front in particular) lock the rear diff, and change to Kevlar belts. That should get ya anywhere ya need to go. If ya have a need for more speed, put a larger pulley on the front (on the engine) Leave the large one on the rear to prevent slippage.

the Kevlar belts will help prevent slippage as well
Back to top Go down
TractorRat
TractorRat

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2014, 6:45 pm

Thanks man! I really appreciate the advice! Smile When it's done in a few weeks I'll post a build thread for it.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2014, 8:14 pm

Pictures... we LOVE pictures

Variable-speed pulley 1222323911
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2014, 11:36 pm

Not sure if your tranny is locked already but I highly suggest locking it if your hitting rough contry maybe a winch too and a game rack for whatever your hunting :p
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2014, 1:19 am

I already told him that. O.o
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2014, 8:14 am

From what I understand, the Vari-Drive setup can be a rather finicky proposition when it comes to altering belt and pulley sizes. I have no experience messing with them, I've been lucky not to get one so far *knock on wood*. That said, I'd like to find one to experiment with. Well- that particular style anyhow. The Variator my JD112 has is similar in nature, but actuated a bit differently.

Either way- the Vari-Drive is much like a manually-controlled CVT, and CVT's are very sensitive to slight changes in belt size. I'm not sure what it would take to get the correct belt size if you put a new pulley on there. A lot of guys simply deep-six the whole enchilada, and swap in a regular clutch and transaxle.
Back to top Go down
TractorRat
TractorRat

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2014, 2:36 pm

It's got more than enough speed for my needs already, and the stock 26-hp engine seems pretty strong, so I probably won't mess with changing out the pulley. In stock form I can already pull about 600 lbs of wood on the utility trailer with no issues. You guys all have given me wonderful input, and I really appreciate it:) I'm swapping in Interco Vampire 25x9.5x12 rear tires and some Carlisle Snow Hog 18x6.5x8 front tires already, and trimming the rear fenders a bit to improve tire-to-fender clearance. I've added a rear tool box, and may mount a rack around that. I plan to add a square-tube rear bumper with a strong hitch, and a loop-type front brush guard as well. How does locking the tranny affect handling? I negotiate some pretty tight trails. The Kevlar belt idea I love, if I can find one in a 5/8" width like the original. Any ideas where one could be sourced? Thanks again everybody!
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2014, 2:53 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
I already told him that. O.o
lol opps missed that I tend to skim when tired :p
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2014, 1:39 pm

I got my 5/8 Kevlar belt at TSC.

I don't have experience with the vari-drive specifically, but other vari-drives like on a Bridgeport milling machine and a snowmobile CVT. I'm curious as to what your belt looks like. I would be surprised if it's a regular 5/8 belt.

Time to post some pics!  Cool 
Back to top Go down
TractorRat
TractorRat

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2014, 4:42 pm

You're right on that one. It's a 5/8" belt, but apparently comes in a weird length only made/sold by MTD, and they don't offer it in Kevlar. A friend of mine who runs an implement repair shop filled me in on that tidbit. However, I've also discovered that in Lo gear (without locking the axle) running Interco Vampire tires 2" taller than the stock size on the rear, the beast can handle all of the hills, mud, logs, and other obstacles that I've run across where I hunt and farm. Adding some wheel weights to the back wheels did wonders, and the stock 26 hp Briggs OHV twin engine definitely has more than enough power. Thanks for all of the great ideas though....much appreciated!  Very Happy As soon as I can gain access to a camera pictures will get posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Variable-speed pulley   Variable-speed pulley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variable-speed pulley
Page 1 of 1